• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Prince Harry to Iraq

I'll assume that was said in jest.

If not, then I assume you do not support England (any sport) and have never sung the National Anthem either.

Am not particularly a fan of the Royal Family myself, however they are a symbol for the United Kingdom like it or not. Ask anyone you meet anywhere in the world and well over 90% will say Buckingham Palace is on their to-do list when they visit London. May say they are 'sponging b*stards', however I actually believe that the amount of money they bring in through tourism trade quite possibly pays for it.

As Chadded(current British Soldier) has kind of indicated, it is a very strange move for him to go out there. His squaddron is now going to be targeted, and that basically means all the British Soldiers out there will be put in further dangerous situations than they are already in. I do not see it that it is just his life that is being put on the line here, I personally see all our other troops being put in an unnecessary additional dangerous situation too. It's a move that does not make sense to me.

Actually, i don't quite see what supporting England has to do with anything? I think that playing as GB in some sports and individual countries in others completely stupid. I would prefer England to be a Republic. That way we could set up borders with Scotland and Wales and i could sing Jerusalem proudly.

Your comment about the Royal Family bringing in revenue is fair but they don't have to be alive to bring in this revenue! Look at Egypt, they don't do too bad there.

As for Harry being a hero for going to Iraq, the sh!t will be so bloody well protected it is hardly worth him going (in fact, i wouldn't be surprised if Chelsy went as well). It's just a publicity stunt. I will only be convinced it's not a stunt when he comes home horizontally in a wooden box!:guns: :guns:

Resurgents are already targetting soldiers - I dont think they care if its prince harry or john smith from doncaster, IMO

Disagree. You can bet your *** the insurgents already know Harry is coming, and they will want him as a target. I wouldn't want to be part of A Sqn HCR out there. No doubt he will have an RMP CP team out there with him, but as good as they are, they can't defend against an IED. Seeing as A Sqn will be the only unit rocking about in scimatar's as well, every time they see one, The terrorist will be thinking that Harry could be in one of them.

Him deploying isn't worth the hassle or the money it will cost. Sorry Cornet Wales, Sir, but that's the price of being a Prince!

Perhaps I am a cynic but there is a small part of me that thinks the whole episode may be staged in a Capricorn One type of way.....

What are you saying? Are you trying to imply Capricorn One wasn't real? Shame on you. :p

Article in the paper this afternoon that he will be guarded by the SAS while he is out there being as he is a high-profile target for the insurgents.

Thoughts?

Do I have to? I'll miss the rest of the season. :)

I fail to see the link between refusing to sing the national anthem and republicanism, with supporting our troops in Iraq, Afghanistan or wherever else in the world they are putting their lives on the line on our behalves. Royalty does absolutely nothing for me but that doesn't make me any less passionate about my country. As for the national anthem I cannot think of anything LESS likely to feel me with pride. You may have sung it enough times (I certainly haven't) but sit back, take a long look at the words and think. Frankly I'm amazed that people are still awake by the time you get to the last line.

That said I have a lot of time for Royals that work (relatively) hard and try to go about their lives as normally as possible. It is hardly their fault.

I can't help thinking this whole issue with Harry is a publicity stunt though. Don't get me wrong, Chadded or Javea will probably confirm this. I'll bet he didn't have a smooth ride through Sandhurst nor will he get, or expect, preferential treatment from his unit. But what active service is he really likely to see ? Why send the SAS out to cover him when I would have thought their fantastic services would be better suited in cover/counter activity elsewhere ?

I'll bet the Iraqi insurgents have better luck with finding Harry than we seem to have had with finding Osama - gone extremely quiet on that front.

Why all the fuss about James Hewitt's son anyway? "Soldier's son joins army and gets sent to Iraq" isn't really front page material.

Such negativity.
I'm proud to be British, proud of our Queen and our Royal Family, proud of our Anthem, and proud of our soldiers overseas fighting bravely for the freedom of a nation.

Back