• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Procrastination

Pubey

So, seeing as you're all on shrimperzone at all hours of the day, it's probably safe to say that procrastination and the internet might be affecting your work/home/social life. I've spent a while thinking I work best under pressure and an impending deadline, however I'm starting to realise that might not be sensible.

I've started using StayFocusd at work and it's been really helpful. I've not really had a problem with doing work during the day, but drifting onto emails (we use gmail at work) or websites every 10 minutes has had an impact on some of the harder stuff I do at work. I tend to block all website access for 1 hour at a time, and then give myself a break, before doing it again for another hour. I've definitely found myself to be much more productive and the day has definitely gone faster as well. I enjoy my work really, and so I haven't found it too difficult.

It works on Chrome and I have other browsers if I absolutely have to access something, and I have my phone too. However it's a good way of removing the internet from your day when you don't really need it.

Anyone else ready to admit they might have a problem? Anyone else got other good ways or tactics to deal with procrastinating?

Also, if this thread results in ShrimperZone losing 1000's of posts a day, and Network Rail becoming an efficient and beloved UK institution, then I can only apologise!

Never heard of that stayfocused thingy and could definitely use it.

God only knows what I did at work pre-2003 when I wasn't on SZ or FB and Twitter didn't even exist!

I never use SZ at work, never have, except, very occasionally if I'm working on a Sunday. Worst I do is Facebook and even that might be only for 5 minutes once a week. I'm paid to work, and that's what I do. Besides which, I'm still new so don't want to be rocking any boats!

Now, at home, it's a totally different matter - all good intentions of cleaning ovens and other tasks of that nature go totally by the board.:smile:

Also, if this thread results in ShrimperZone losing 1000's of posts a day, and Network Rail becoming an efficient and beloved UK institution, then I can only apologise!

Sod that :smile: I seem to thrive on pressure, so if I have a looming deadline I'm more focussed to get something done that if I have weeks.

I spend ten hours a day writing computer code which requires a fair level of concentration however I find it harder to concentrate now in my than I did when I was younger.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar?

I spend ten hours a day writing computer code which requires a fair level of concentration however I find it harder to concentrate now in my than I did when I was younger.

Not me. Despite my advancing years I find that I can keep my mind fully fo..... Oh look, a squirrel !

I wouldn't sweat it and I'll play devil's advocate with OBL. No one is paid "to work", only to get things done. If you're doing what you need to do and providing value, you haven't got a problem. If it's stopping you succeeding, then you do. [management book mode off]

Anyway... who doesn't love squirrels!?

squirrel-450276.jpg

Just to add a few more details. Most of the time I'm in an office on my own, with unrestricted internet access. I am my own boss in many ways, and so can do what I want with my time, as long as I deliver in the end. I also quite like (or have got used to...) working at home in the evening and the odd Sunday night, but this is starting to get a little bit harder.

The best thing about StayFocusd is that it does enable you to get stuck into a task, and suddenly things that before took all morning now take you an hour. I also think it's healthy to not be looking at emails at every minute of the day.

....then there's The Guardian, CiF, Reddit, NR Intranet, BBC, RightMove, Googling your own name/old address/people you used to know.........I'll do some work soon, promise. :smile:

Lost count of how many times i've used the "forgot password" button on various websites and have had to order a new PIN number for my bank card twice this year !!!!!!

Hmmm. I freelance and for the last year I've procrastinated a lot. But I tend to do the big stuff/calls first thing, then I don't have to worry too much for the rest of the day.

They reckon that if your writing and signature slopes to the right then you are very prone to procrastination. I think that is rubbish myself. Rootshallbloke

Back