• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Proposed cut in VAT

I read it all

Still could not see any relation to previous posts on this thread
(and certainly nothing about 80% of Dentists going abroad)

You are not concerned then ?

That over 3 million shilled brits have left who probably paid high tax ect yet are being replaced by low paid people.

The math does not equate.

You are not concerned then ?

That over 3 million shilled brits have left who probably paid high tax ect yet are being replaced by low paid people.

I didn't say I wasn't concerned. I was looking to see the link substantiate one of your previous posts , put my mind at rest. Which post does that link support ?

And take your own advice , read the report , it actually says 3.2 Million Brits of which 1.1 M are skilled graduates.

As for the maths, if the replacements are low paid people that either means that the workers leaving are not being replaced , or the replacement workers are being paid less, which would in turn cut costs (in the NHS for example) .

Last edited:
I didn't say I wasn't concerned. I was looking to see the link substantiate one of your previous posts , put my mind at rest. Which post does that link support ?

And take your own advice , read the report , it actually says 3.2 Million Brits of which 1.1 M are skilled graduates.

My point exactly that 1.1 million skilled graduates have scarpered from this country and as the report clearly states at the taxpayers expense.

Chancellor Alistair Darling is to cut VAT from 17.5% to 15% as part of his pre-Budget report (PBR) to protect British households and businesses and to stimulate the economy.

The reduction will come into force from 1 December and is part of a £20bn fiscal stimulus announced by the Government.
The Chancellor warned the Commons that borrowing would rocket to £118bn next year as the Government ensured that money flowed into the economy when it was needed.
The Chancellor described the PBR as a "comprehensive plan to support families, business and the economy".

HOMEOWNERS
The stamp duty holiday, which exempts homes costing more than £175,000 from paying the tax, was due to expire next September but may be extended by measures in the PBR.
Mr Darling may also protect homeowners by making it more difficult for lenders to repossess their homes.
SHOPPERS
A 2.5% cut in VAT, taking the tax down from 17.5% to 15%, is expected to be the main plank to the PBR, as the Government attempts to get Britain spending again.
The measure would save families £2.50 in every £100 spent on goods apart from food and children's clothes, which are already exempt.
The reduction, aimed at boosting a struggling retail sector in the run-up to Christmas, is expected to cost the Government £12.5bn a year in lost revenues and to be in place for just over a year.
FAMILIES
The amount of money people are allowed to earn before they start paying income tax could be raised, giving families more money to spend on their household bills.
The Government is also expected to extend for another year a £2.7bn measure introduced in May to deal with the row over the abolition of the 10p tax band.
Anyone earning less £40,835 will gain £120 this year - and this "rebate" for 22 million or so families on the basic rate of tax could continue throughout 2009.
MOTORISTS
The Chancellor may succumb to pressure from motoring groups to scrap plans to raise car tax for drivers of more polluting vehicles.
There is also pressure on the Chancellor to delay a proposed 2p rise in fuel duty beyond its spring deadline - though some commentators feel he might go the other way and enforce the rise immediately.

My point exactly that 1.1 million skilled graduates have scarpered from this country and as the report clearly states at the taxpayers expense.

Oh, but of course it's 1.1m foreigners that have come over ere and bled the poor hardworking British taxpayer dry to earn millions in some far flung corner of the globe isn't that right?

I suppose "your point exactly" refers to this post

Firstly i have never stated that anyone coming here to pay their way should not be allowed in.Why has this country paid for these to be trained so they can bugger off to Spain.

Dentistry has simiiar problems whith this country spending fortunes in training people yet once qualified they bugger off elsewhere and i am speaking around 80% of dentists leave this country..

The two sentences indicate a direct link between those "coming here" being trained then "buggering off to spain" (the link being the use of the word these)

There is nothing in the report to support this.

There is also nothing in the report to support the 80% of dentists comment.

So currently we have 1.1 million graduates living and working abroad. As there is no time scale set to the report (ie it does not say something like "have left the country in the past 10 years") this is no indication of the current situation (they may all have left over the past 20 years , being an average of 55,000 a year,) nor does it state their ages (so there is no evidence that they are being trained and then leaving soon after)

Also ,37.7 per cent had humanities or social science degrees, So the 414,700 of the very people you were slating in the baby P threads are now a concern of yours...

I suppose "your point exactly" refers to this post

The two sentences indicate a direct link between those "coming here" being trained then "buggering off to spain" (the link being the use of the word these)

There is nothing in the report to support this.

There is also nothing in the report to support the 80% of dentists comment.

So currently we have 1.1 million graduates living and working abroad. As there is no time scale set to the report (ie it does not say something like "have left the country in the past 10 years") this is no indication of the current situation (they may all have left over the past 20 years , being an average of 55,000 a year,) nor does it state their ages (so there is no evidence that they are being trained and then leaving soon after)

Also ,37.7 per cent had humanities or social science degrees, So the 414,700 of the very people you were slating in the baby P threads are now a concern of yours...

Would be interesting to read the names of those 1.1 million.

Back on thread chaps - the VAT cut is to be paid for by....increasing fuel duty - on which we pay...VAT!

-2.5% is a waste of time. Its certainly not going to inspire people to rush out and buy things. Buy a £1000 telly and save 25 quid. Dont think so. Also did i hear there is a rise in NI?

What will be the cost for business to change everything to cover this VAT decrease? Seems to me this government have completely lost the plot now.

And when Barclays would rather borrow money at a hiked up rate from Middle East investors than this government things must be getting desperate.

graysblue said:
My point exactly that 1.1 million skilled graduates have scarpered from this country

So, what is your point Exactly?

Obviously, when I say Exactly, I mean to the nearest couple of million.

The cut in vat makes no difference to anyone but an end user.... possibly.

look at it this way...

i'm not vat reg'd, so technically i'll benefit, right?

well, on £100 of materials i'll save a whopping £2.50.

on 1000 i'll save £25.

if i buy a £10k printer, i'll save £250, but, hang on, if i have enough work to justify buying a £10k printer, i'd be vat registered anyways, thus making no savings at all.

those who are vat reg'd simply 'collect' tax for the gov't, they claim back what they spend, and hand over what they collect... no savings at all.

can you see argos dropping the price of a catalogue item from £2.99 to £2.92? of course they wont, they'll simply earn an extra 7p.

Can't see it helping the customer but the retailer.

Product cost + 15% VAT = greater profits for the store....

If the retailer is forced to pass on the cut then fair enough, but they don't have too.

Does that mean tickets for leauge games are going to be 50p cheaper ;)

Back