• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Proposed cut in VAT

Firstly i have never stated that anyone coming here to pay their way should not be allowed in.Why has this country paid for these to be trained so they can bugger off to Spain.

Dentistry has simiiar problems whith this country spending fortunes in training people yet once qualified they bugger off elsewhere and i am speaking around 80% of dentists leave this country.

Who said the country paid him? He may have just completed his University degree in the UK. Think you should look up the costs for any non-UK citizen going to any University in the UK - although if you don't want to bother - it's expensive. Many other countries pay for their students to come and train in the UK, because the UK is widely known to have the best Universities in Europe. It's something you should be proud of. (Pubey will no doubt have more knowledge here though).

80%?! Link please.

Indeed, many smaller European countries fund their residents to come to the UK and they pay the much higher fees to do so. Purely on a financial basis, if everyone on a certain Masters course that we provide was from the UK, we would only receive about half the fees that we currently get where the majority of the students are from overseas. We continue to promote UK students to come on our courses, but they follow the application criteria just like anyone else, but we are an internationally renowned uni and most of the interest comes from abroad.

The money that comes into our Faculty obviously goes into the training and teaching, but the money also goes into our research, which has a massive impact on the UK (hopefully positive!) in terms of our contracts with local PCTs, NICE and the NHS. The crux is that overseas students are helping fund our UK research agenda, which isn't a bad thing!

Also, Einstein is right, the UK universities are something we should be really proud of. Especially in terms of Europe our research and teaching is first class, and for certain specialties we're competing with the best in Asia and America. I would say that for depth of teaching quality as well, we are probably the best in the world. I'm not sure that you can say we have a two tier system of uni's anymore, and that the ones with lower entrance requirements are starting to find niche areas for research as that's where their primary funding comes from through the RAE.

I would also add that I did my BA at a uni where about 1/3rd of the course were overseas, and then my MSc was at a uni where only 5 of 60 students were from the UK. Having now seen the other side where (mainly administrative) issues can arise when teaching overseas students... I would still definitely say that as a student, it was a positive and mind-opening experience where you learnt about international issues, not just stuff restricted to the UK, which in my job is becoming very relevent. Also I just liked engaging with foreign coursemates and many of the ones on my BA had a much better work ethic than the UK ones, who some felt they could just doss and **** around and get a 2:1.

I don't think that we are having overseas students learning here at the expense of anyone, in fact I think it enriches the courses and uni's and the fact that we can get a lot more money in because of the prostigious nature of our uni's and our reputations means that I can't see any real downsides to it.

My housemate is a mature student from Libya who is doing an MSc in Physiotherapy at Sheffield Hallam. I was chatting to him and it turns out that he is one of the most renowned Physio's in his country, having done a lot of high up sports stuff and having a very respected clinic. He did his original training here and now has come back to get an MSc (self-funded I think). I asked him if he would think about staying here, but he is 100% adamant that he will go home. He is proud of his roots but he is also grateful for the UK and Sheffield Hallam to allow him the opportunity to develop his career, something that just isn't available in his country. Also having an MSc will allow him to attract research money and to continue to improve services for his country. Also just because he isn't going to stay here doesn't mean he has been a drain on resources, I'm sure he has enriched the course he is on, as peer-learning is so important. He has also paid his way, and provided a developing university with a lot of money.

I'm sorry for this very long ramble, but I just can't see your argument and that is coming from a recent student and someone who works at a uni.

for info:

If you want to do an MSc here at ScHARR, it's about £3300 for a UK student, and £14000 for an overseas student

Last edited:
Agree with Pubster there: Plenty of foreign students (notably Chinese) at my Uni who have to pay £8K a term for their degree where the Brits pay substantially less. These Chinese work bloody hard and get top results where the majority of the British born students are stupid, ignorant, lazy and acts like kids and are happy if they manage to get a 3rd.

How about this

Change taxation rates to:
Under 10,000 @ 40%
10-20000 @ 35%
20-40000 @ 30%
Over 40000 @ 25%

This would encourage the lower earners to work harder and earn more so they could pay tax at a lower rate. You know it makes sense.

How about this

Change taxation rates to:
Under 10,000 @ 40%
10-20000 @ 35%
20-40000 @ 30%
Over 40000 @ 25%

This would encourage the lower earners to work harder and earn more so they could pay tax at a lower rate. You know it makes sense.

Bring back slavery I say. People knew their place and all that. :dim:

Agree with Pubster there: Plenty of foreign students (notably Chinese) at my Uni who have to pay £8K a term for their degree where the Brits pay substantially less. These Chinese work bloody hard and get top results where the majority of the British born students are stupid, ignorant, lazy and acts like kids and are happy if they manage to get a 3rd.

No doubt that is very true as asians have an excellent work ethic.

Once they qualify in their particular field do they benefit the country in general?

The dentist thing where over 1000 have quit the NHS to go into private practise does not help the people on low wages ect.Many of these dentists were trained here yet simply do not want NHS work as they can earn far more from the private sector.

How about once trained here you must worh for the NHS for 3 years at least.

No doubt that is very true as asians have an excellent work ethic.

Once they qualify in their particular field do they benefit the country in general?

The dentist thing where over 1000 have quit the NHS to go into private practise does not help the people on low wages ect.Many of these dentists were trained here yet simply do not want NHS work as they can earn far more from the private sector.

How about once trained here you must worh for the NHS for 3 years at least.

Nice stereotype there!

why not extend that question to "does going to university benefit the country?", why are you fixed on overseas students?

I'm not going into the dentist thing because I haven't seen the evidence you are referring to.

What case exactly are you resting ?
No idea either. Realising he wasn't onto a winner anywhere else on the thread, he decides to debate something that wasn't even relevant! First argues about immigrants coming into the country and then about British people leaving Britian! Let's keep them all locked up. Good luck to all those in chains (Doctors & Nurses) out there! Phew - I had a close call. (Not that I'm a Doctor though so think I would have been allowed to leave still - double phew!). Brilliant stuff, brilliant.

Last edited:
the 15% VAT has just been made official but will be offset by rises in tax to Fags, Booze and Petrol :nope:

What case exactly are you resting ?

A survey published showed that 3.2M Britons now live abroad and 1.1 M of them are graduates. What exactly does that prove (other than the need for immigration to fill the skills shortage left by Britons deciding to live somewhere sunnier)

Did you actually read it?

The biggest loss of highly skilled workers for 50 years.

To train a doctor costs 250k

Read it all.

No idea either. Realising he wasn't onto a winner anywhere else on the thread, he decides to debate something that wasn't even relevant! First argues about immigrants coming into the country and then about British people leaving Britian! Let's keep them all locked up. Good luck to all those in chains (Doctors & Nurses) out there! Phew - I had a close call. (Not that I'm a Doctor though so think I would have been allowed to leave still - double phew!). Brilliant stuff, brilliant.

Wasn't it something to do with Johnny Foreigner coming to our shores then leaving to work abroad after taxpayer funded training, or was that left alone after Riceys post......

Or loony lefties.... Or kicking out Asylum Seekers....

Or..... erm, OK, I'm confused too. It was incontrovertable proof what ever it was :D

You are offkey.

Read it or maybe you cannot stomach the truth?

Back