• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who would you pick?

• Total voters

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
I just picked this up from another thread but had been wondering this myself. Why was Prosser dropped and Gilbert brought back into the team, I can 't recall him playing badly and if anything has been one of the more consistent players this season.

If I had to pick one out of the two of them I would go with Prosser every time...What do you think?

Poll added to gauge peoples thought on this.

been said a few times that Sturrock thought Prosser was looking tired after his start. I'd have Prosser bu 2 clean sheets in 2 games gives Sturrock a nice problem

Why was Prosser dropped and Gilbert brought back into the team

Because Gilbert isnt afraid of the ball at his feet. Both players make the Che Wilson days feel like we had Roberto Carlos.

Being serious i would have Gilbert in purely down to the fact he offers a little bit more on the ball.

I'd rather have Gilbert in at left back, with Prosser cover for both left and centre back!

He may have very few fans, but I just feel he is more solid overall..

Possibly Gilbert may have threatened to go public on one thing or another during his rant to Sturrock at not playing. Therefore makes his way back. Probably wide of the mark.

I'd rather have Gilbert in at left back, with Prosser cover for both left and centre back!

He may have very few fans, but I just feel he is more solid overall..
There were plenty of people applauded his POTM award last week, feel sorry for Prosser, has done little wrong this season and yet is dropped for Gilbert. Personally don't have a problem with either but good to know there is enough depth in the squad this year to be having this discussion. Btw, what about Barker, wasn't he signed as a left back?

for once, either or, never thought i'd say it but prosser has far exceeded my expectations. which is great.
Gilbert scored and we've kept a clean sheet. Happy to have either.

I think Prosser was orginally rested rather than dropped but as we've won our last 2 games and kept 2 clean sheets Gilbert's kept his place. I was surprised when Prosser didn't play against Gillingham as he made an excellent start to the season but to be fair Gilbert played well on Saturday. Like Prosser, doesn't offer much going forward and his distribution's poor but defensively solid. We have an attacking full-back in Clohessy on the other side so I guess that gives us some balance. As OBL says, good to have this competition for places.

Sorry but it has to be Gilbert on current form, thought he has played well the last 2 games, but the biggest thing for me is that he has always been looking to pass to feet. One of the things that started to frustrate me about Prosser was that he kept playing the ball long, when there were other options. Good to have competition though.

Baffled that people of this forum moan that we play long ball, yet you would rather have a left back in the side that does exactly that!!!

Sorry but it has to be Gilbert on current form, thought he has played well the last 2 games, but the biggest thing for me is that he has always been looking to pass to feet.

Really? I've seen very little evidence of that! I watched PG very closely against Plymouth, and lost count of the amount of times that he went through the whole process of receiving the ball, controlling it and hitting it long without looking up once. It gets frustrating. They're both guilty of playing the long ball frequently but at least Prosser looks up to see where he's playing it before hitting it!

We kept being told last season that Gilbert was playing hampered by an injury, I guess what we have seen has borne that out. He's played like a different player to last season's Gilbert.

Really? I've seen very little evidence of that! I watched PG very closely against Plymouth, and lost count of the amount of times that he went through the whole process of receiving the ball, controlling it and hitting it long without looking up once. It gets frustrating. They're both guilty of playing the long ball frequently but at least Prosser looks up to see where he's playing it before hitting it!

Fair enough, but that isn't what I saw, but then I wasn't watching him all game ;) - I'll take a pen and paper with me to the next home game and mark every pass (long or short) and post them :)

Besides the fact Prosser looks up before whacking into no man's land, is better than just whacking it into no man's land is it? (I'm trying to be funny there, not have a go)

We kept being told last season that Gilbert was playing hampered by an injury, I guess what we have seen has borne that out. He's played like a different player to last season's Gilbert.

Really?? - I still think he looks scared to tackle and has poor distribution.

2nd half against Plymouth he had the ball in acres and as he ran forward had his head down trying to keep the ball under control at his feet - ultimately unsuccessfully.

Prosser at least manages to get back spin on the ball when he plays forward making is sit up and be easier to control for Team Mates rather than skipping away off the turf.

I think they are both pretty poor. Gilbert edges it for me. Let me say that I don't expect us to get much better in our current state but in answer to the question I'd rather play PG. Gilbert got a lot of stick last year for being something of a neanderthal hoofer, but hey we are down in Division 4, and I think Gareth Bale was busy.

Gilbert = poor mans Damon Searle
Prosser = David Morley on Roller Skates

I will say I'd be much happier with either of them than Johnny Herd or that clown that played a few of the friendlies pre-season. at least PG & LP have a semblance of solidity about them.

Back