• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Protest on Saturday

it didnt work before and sadly it wont make a him move this time either .Wish you all luck but with the power of 6 how is it going to work .

So by supporting the club we have helped Ron get away with it? I pay my money to watch the team and support the club, if that is supporting Ron then so be it, I cant help that Unless I do not buy my season tickets and that isnt going to happen.

People are bound to have strong views, and everyone has their own but belittling people as they do not believe in protests or shouting down anything that is an opposite view to ones own is not the right way to go in my opinion

Rigsby, the point is RM has had FIFTEEN YEARS trying to do this and at least 3 different plans. He was first granted planning consent in 2005/2006 I believe. There's always an excuse why none of them have gone ahead, yet each time HE tinkers with the plans, trying to squeeze more£££'s out of it (for himself?) and then the delays set in. How many times have we heard 'work will start... in the summer/next year/soon' (choose as appropriate). Personally, I'm bored and tired of his bluster and empty promises. Yes, we are saddled with him until the whole process is complete but despite your continued defence of him I don't believe he's the messiah.

Rigsby, the point is RM has had FIFTEEN YEARS trying to do this and at least 3 different plans. He was first granted planning consent in 2005/2006 I believe. There's always an excuse why none of them have gone ahead, yet each time HE tinkers with the plans, trying to squeeze more£££'s out of it (for ?) and then the delays set in. How many times have we heard 'work will start... in the summer/next year/soon' (choose as appropriate). Personally, I'm bored and tired of his bluster and empty promises. Yes, we are saddled with him until the whole process is complete but despite your continued defence of him I don't believe he's the messiah.

Sainsbury's pulled out of the deal not Ron
The council blocked the retail park not Ron

Until you Ron outers can admit these two facts, we can never have an adult conversation about Ron....Sadly I am forced to do that in private and on Whatsapp groups.

Well done rigsby. I personally think that's your best ever post ever on here. #17. I don't always agree with you, but you've summed up some of the problems Ron Martin has faced, especially with the two not very helpful and dithering councils. If the councils really wanted to help SUFC, they would have by now. It's only them stopping the developments. Perhaps we should protest outside the councils. From the things I hear, it's a miracle Ron has kept us alive to this day. Yes, he's gambled badly with Managers and over paid past it players (Most he was talked into by the Managers). He's made some massive mistakes. But we're still here. His pot of gold, and our promising future is just out of reach. He will once again be trying to find the money needed to keep that goal and the club alive in the courts. It's almost impossible to ask the developers for an advance without the councils go ahead. It's hard to keep going to his own wealth and his companys, when it sounds like the well is dry. It's hard to keep asking the Directors to put their hands in their pockets over and over. On top of all that, he's in charge of a football club that can't let in any fans and get some crucial income. I was at the Vic Jobson protest, but I won't be at the Ron Martin protest. But of course I understand why people want to protest.

With every level of respect Westy I think you may well have been right back then but it's not the right time now as the alternate is far worse.

Reactions: GBJ
I’m sure people are leaving Ron voicemail every single day, just desperate to buy us in the middle of a pandemic.

So much apathy and ridicule in this threads so far citing it as a waste of time and nothing will change so why bother.

Good on the protestors I say, go out and voice your unhappiness. Staying at home whinging won't achieve anything either.

If there was to be a protest it should be to get all the L1 & L2 supporters to blockage the PL HQ offices and demand they cascade some of their billions (and they have that in the bank) to all of the struggling clubs. Probably won’t do anything, but it will create a bit of bad publicity for them.

Additionally there should be a campaign to get all lower league supporters to stop subscribing to Sky and BT sports. Instead give that money to your local club.

If there was to be a protest it should be to get all the L1 & L2 supporters to blockage the PL HQ offices and demand they cascade some of their billions (and they have that in the bank) to all of the struggling clubs. Probably won’t do anything, but it will create a bit of bad publicity for them.

Additionally there should be a campaign to get all lower league supporters to stop subscribing to Sky and BT sports. Instead give that money to your local club.

Hmmm only issue might be that the majority of PL employees are WFH until March 2021.

To Protest is of course a right and shouldn't be belittled. Where would we all be without protest.
Of course protests WORK , but seldom in the ways or timeframes people expect. In the short term they are often deemed to haver failed but much of protesting history shows results in the longer term
The "we dont like it" , "we are fed up", "we wont put up with it "feelings may be fully justified but have to show credibilty. Low effort things dont usually communicate credibility very well, but do raise a question mark, a letting off of steam, an exclamation mark set against the future. Protests just might look like a failure in the short term, but much of the power is in the long term on both the protesters and the rest of us.
Ron should hopefully fully understand the protesters feelings, understand and embrace it,, not run for the Hills or spit out a dummy but maybe even get out there and talk to them, whilst the protesters need to bear in mind the need to act very responsibly, no lunacy please. Longer term Protests do work, they work on LEGITIMACY

Every fan should be backing the team, like we have always done thorough thick and thin, not possibly making this very young squads jobs harder than they already are.

Conflating ‘protesting against the owner’ with ‘not supporting the team’ is a common mistake in situations like this. They are mutually exclusive.

Conflating ‘protesting against the owner’ with ‘not supporting the team’ is a common mistake in situations like this. They are mutually exclusive.
My point was it could hinder the am and the young lads need subs behind them be us in the stadium or not, thought that was obvious my mistake

Its everybody right to demonstrate that's what democracy is so Individuals can express their views.Personally whether it will do any good at present I am unsure,however i believe it should be a United front led by the Shrimpers Trust and not a bunch of individuals.I dont believe that RM is leaving any time soon until he achieves his goal but pressure needs to be applied for RM to answer all relevant concerns from supporters on how he is going to pay the tax bill.

Back