• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Proud Parent

There I was last night, getting, like everyone else, very frustrated that our dominance during the second half was not reaping the reward it deserved.

As the 2nd half went on, from behind me in the South Upper, came the same voice shouting out the F word and calling the ref a w**ker (which he was right) which totally disturbed me.

Before I get the usual ‘well if you don’t like swearing then you should not go to football’ brigade on my back, can I point out that this was coming from a young kid of about 6 or 7 who had his Dad sitting next to him laughing. What astonished me most was that there was an elderly steward standing right by him who did nothing!!

So, if you are the Father of this child, I hope you are very proud of how your Chav of a Son is growing up.

You should try dealing with this type of child in school at key stage 1. Nightmare. Parents are so thick at times.

I took 3 10 year old kids to the game last night as i always do, they were all kitted out in full Southend strip, they had flags and rattles and were really 'up for it', their support, as always was great, an 'adult' (i use the term loosely) sat in front of them turned and told them "sit down and watch the f****** game you little b*******" i did tell him in no uncertain terms to leave the kids alone, i also reported his comments to a steward. Sadly it is not always the parents to blame, often it is society itself. If i ever heard these kids use the sort of language that you experienced then they would not go to another game with me. Good luck, UTB

I'm afraid it is the world we live in!

Swear words are just words at the end of the day!

As long as they only do it at football, who really cares?

UTB

Unfortunately this is one the end products of SUFC's 'family club' policies. Whilst the vast majority will be well behaved and decent there will always be a number of mindless, foul mouthed, chav like individuals that can't string a sentence together without filling it with expletives......................and some of the kids aren't much better!

Phil

There I was last night, getting, like everyone else, very frustrated that our dominance during the second half was not reaping the reward it deserved.

As the 2nd half went on, from behind me in the South Upper, came the same voice shouting out the F word and calling the ref a w**ker (which he was right) which totally disturbed me.

Before I get the usual ‘well if you don’t like swearing then you should not go to football’ brigade on my back, can I point out that this was coming from a young kid of about 6 or 7 who had his Dad sitting next to him laughing. What astonished me most was that there was an elderly steward standing right by him who did nothing!!

So, if you are the Father of this child, I hope you are very proud of how your Chav of a Son is growing up.
Have heard this two or three times now in the South Upper.

Hmmm, there was a young kid in front of me who was swearing, though I'm not sure I heard the 'F' word. Mind you, I was also distracted by some chavs behind me acting like total knobs. I sit in Block I of the South Upper; is this where you were, OneSteveTilson?

I sit in south upper block G, whenever we lose the ball or the slightest thing goes wrong, all I hear is swear words and abuse!
For example last night, when Laurent missed a header, after scoring twice, the person behind me shout, 'thats a disgrace! What is he doing! get him off the field!'
and this happens nearly every week!
I don't mind if you swear a few times, but every 2 minutes is just too much swearing and abuse for no reason, it just gets annoying!

I have and LB this policy that it.s ok to swear at footie or in the car thats what we tell our children, we cannot stop fans expressing themselves around us is in the family stand (some of the language is choice) No worse than TBV chants. my point is that in no way do we encourage children to carry out mindless abuse .

Iam sorry chaps but this is football not dancing on ice .The things you are complaining about goes on all around the country in every football ground .Dont blame the parents all the time blame what the kids see on TV . nearly every night even when watching a live match on TV you hear it on the sound mikes loud and clear .But I say it again this is football theses things happen and have done for years .

Iam sorry chaps but this is football not dancing on ice .The things you are complaining about goes on all around the country in every football ground .Dont blame the parents all the time blame what the kids see on TV . nearly every night even when watching a live match on TV you hear it on the sound mikes loud and clear .But I say it again this is football theses things happen and have done for years .

TBH I don't think it has anything to so with football. A 6/7 year old should not be using such words full stop. The kid should know better, and the father certainly should. This isn't a rose tinted view, I have an eleven year old son who comes to most matches and I run an U11's football team. If one of them called the ref an anchor I would pull him off instantly

Last edited:
TBH I don't think it has anything to so with football. A 6/7 year old should not be using such words full stop. The kif should know better, and the father certainly should. This isn't a rose tinted view, I have an eleven year old son who comes to most matches and run an U11's football team. If one of them called the ref an anchor I would pull him off instantly
There is an assumption (not in your post necessarily, united we stand) that it is wrong for children to use these words but OK for adults. I don't understand the double standard. If it is wrong for kids who are simply following the example of adults around them, why is it OK for adults who know what they are saying and do it anyway?

When my son was younger, my dad and I always had the rule that "what's heard at football, stays at football", meaning we accepted he would hear stuff (not least from us!) but as long as it wasn't repeated elsewhere that was fine. The language we hear day in day out from kids at school is just shocking, one of them even told me someone had etched "c***" on the inside of the door where the water fountain was, not fazed by it at all. Had to get the caretaker to cut it out!!!

When my son was younger, my dad and I always had the rule that "what's heard at football, stays at football", meaning we accepted he would hear stuff (not least from us!) but as long as it wasn't repeated elsewhere that was fine. The language we hear day in day out from kids at school is just shocking, one of them even told me someone had etched "c***" on the inside of the door where the water fountain was, not fazed by it at all. Had to get the caretaker to cut it out!!!
We have big problems with bad language in our school too. There have been several occasions in the last year when a pupil has told a teacher to go forth and multiply. I think that lots of kids just reflect back what they hear on a day to day basis.

I certainly agree with the first sentence, when I used to be taken to games by my Grandad he used to swear like a trooper, he'd never use such languange at home, and I never heard him swear outside of football.

However, I'd say that bad language has been in use since time immemorial, as kids we thought it was funny to swear and probably made us feel brave because we could shout the f word loudly. While the general standards of behaviour and respect are much lower than when I grew up the use of swear words is much the same. It isn't a generational thing it's some sort of rite of passage.

Back