• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pubs for Cheltenham

keefmoon

Coach
As said in another thread, me and a couple of others are heading down and staying in a hotel overnight. We'll be checking by 3, and after that....Cheltenham is our oyster.
Any idea where we should head (on the dot of 3) to go drinking before the game? It's been years since I went there.

Sorry to hijack your thread Keef, just a quick question of my own.

How long would it take to get to Cheltenham from sunny Hockley by car? The train takes 4 hours, and It's not feesible for me.

Sorry to hijack your thread Keef, just a quick question of my own.

How long would it take to get to Cheltenham from sunny Hockley by car? The train takes 4 hours, and It's not feesible for me.

depending on time you leave, it should be around 3 hours. (checked on rac.co.uk)

with regards to pubs, how far is town from the ground? we'll be there quite early so probably head for town depending on distance

depending on time you leave, it should be around 3 hours. (checked on rac.co.uk)

We're checking in at 3, so I'm leaving at 12. It's 90 minutes to Oxford on a good run, then you have A40 all the way from there. Shouldn't be a problem at that time of day, but depends when you're travelling.

True Blue...you're not hanging around for a disco are you?!

We're checking in at 3, so I'm leaving at 12. It's 90 minutes to Oxford on a good run, then you have A40 all the way from there. Shouldn't be a problem at that time of day, but depends when you're travelling.

True Blue...you're not hanging around for a disco are you?!
Cheers Keef. I finish college at 2.50 so at least I know I can get there, but I need to convince ashingdon-shrimper or someone else to drive me :p

The 2 pigs is alright but not sure it will be open that early in the day, I don't think there is a pub that is close to the ground but could be wrong as I don't go to that area of town too often, I'm sure Vange has a better knowledge of the area than I do.

Cheers Keef. I finish college at 2.50 so at least I know I can get there, but I need to convince ashingdon-shrimper or someone else to drive me :p

Don't forget the Friday afternoon traffic on the M25 can be quite bad sometimes, listen to those traffic reports very carefully.

Should help a little

There is a club bar at the ground called the Robins Nest which allows in small numbers of away fans for a small admittance fee. The closest pubs that I found to the ground were the Fox & Hounds & The Greyhound, but they both have more of a home feel about them. Away fans are probably better heading to the 'Sudeley Arms' or 'The Conservatory' on Prestbury Road on the outskirts of town. There is even a decent fish & chip shop situated in-between the two. To find these pubs, turn right out of the club car park, and then turn left at the end of the road. Go straight over the roundabout, and The Sudeley Arms is on your left and the Conservatory is further up on your right. It is no more than a ten minute walk from the ground.

Otherwise there is the Parklands Social Club, where you can also park your car (£4). Simply go down Whaddon Road, passing the ground and the bowling club on your left. Take the first left hand turn and the entrance to the social club car park is a short distance down on the left.

Should help a little

There is a club bar at the ground called the Robins Nest which allows in small numbers of away fans for a small admittance fee. The closest pubs that I found to the ground were the Fox & Hounds & The Greyhound, but they both have more of a home feel about them. Away fans are probably better heading to the 'Sudeley Arms' or 'The Conservatory' on Prestbury Road on the outskirts of town. There is even a decent fish & chip shop situated in-between the two. To find these pubs, turn right out of the club car park, and then turn left at the end of the road. Go straight over the roundabout, and The Sudeley Arms is on your left and the Conservatory is further up on your right. It is no more than a ten minute walk from the ground.

Otherwise there is the Parklands Social Club, where you can also park your car (£4). Simply go down Whaddon Road, passing the ground and the bowling club on your left. Take the first left hand turn and the entrance to the social club car park is a short distance down on the left.

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/

:D brilliant

Thanks for the info. Will probably head to The Sudely Arms.
Ever been there Alexis? I just need good bitter and a quiz machine to waste loads of nuggets at.

Thanks for the info. Will probably head to The Sudely Arms.
Ever been there Alexis? I just need good bitter and a quiz machine to waste loads of nuggets at.

I finished uni in Cheltenham last year and a friend of mine still works in there, as far as I know. It's a tiny pub, has a dart board, juke box and a quiz machine in there. People are friendly though who go in there.

Better pubs are in town. There's hogshead, Wetherspoons on Bath Road, Dobells, O'Neills, The Vine pub and many more. Most of the pubs are towards the top end of town, as you come in on the A40 or down Montpellier. Just need to jump on the A bus to Whaddon Road, or can easily walk it in 10 mins. Have to watch out with The 2 Pigs. Went in there once on a Friday last year expecting metal and alternative music and it was dead in there!

Alexis, hope your looking after your house. Still can't believe you moved into the one next to mine! lol

Last edited:
Dobells would probably be a no go, especially if your wearing colours, its recently changed and try to go all up market. As Hillary says the best pubs are in town but its not that far of a walk to the ground. Personally I will be in the SU bar as its cheap - I am a student after all.

Hils, house is fine although its now covered in blue bodypaint after last nights antics lol

Dobells would probably be a no go, especially if your wearing colours, its recently changed and try to go all up market. As Hillary says the best pubs are in town but its not that far of a walk to the ground. Personally I will be in the SU bar as its cheap - I am a student after all.

Hils, house is fine although its now covered in blue bodypaint after last nights antics lol

Yeah shouldnt have really mentioned Dobells. Used to hate it in there. Really shouldnt have done it up.

Is The Study still there? That was a good place to go for a drink.

Completely forgot about the FCH stoodent bar. God, I miss that place!

The Study is still about, went in there last night actually. Its not a bad place and the food is good too.

FCH student bar is good, mainly for the prices, and we have now got a nintendo Wii in there to.

Back