• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question for Golfers...

EastStandBlue

Life President
Having not picked up a club in anger for the best part of 3/4 years since being at Uni, I've been bitten by the bug again and am keen to get back into the swing of things... I picked up my old rag-tag set of clubs that were fine when I was a bit younger and 2ft smaller, and now I'm in the market to buy a new set.

I was looking at the Nike Slingshot Irons, not least because they're relatively cheap at just under £300 incl. delivery for a full set, but they come pretty well recommended. What I'm after is an answer as to whether they'd be suitable for a beginner/intermediate player, or should I be after something else?

Green for whoever can give me a hand here...

ESB

Dont buy a set of golf clubs without testing them first mate.

Not sure where you live but in the south essex area there is Centre Golf which is situated next to the Carpenters Arms just off the old A130 outside Rayleigh. Also American golf discount at Lakeside and Gidea Park. Both have facilities where you can test clubs before you buy.

You could always test the clubs there and then look to see if you cab get them cheaper online but in my experience they are both pretty competative.

Hope thats helps :)

Happy Golfing

Stats

I bought my clubs from the American Golf Discount place at Lakeside. As Statski says, you really do have to try the clubs out first.

I went there determined to buy a set of Callaway big bertha irons, but after trying them out the bloke there said my swing didn't suit the club and got me to try a set of Pings which worked really well for me. Also the Ping Clubs were over £100 cheaper so I knew he wasn't trying to con me.

a-hand.png

I've come to collect my green !

Good point, I'll get myself down to American Golf next week.

Green for all, even ORM.

I've been told second hand clubs are the way to go... For the money I'm prepared to spend on a set of new clubs, I could get a very good set of second handers from any Pro shop. I've got to book a lesson in though, I was shanking everything to the right last week and couldn't explain it.

Having not picked up a club in anger for the best part of 3/4 years since being at Uni, I've been bitten by the bug again and am keen to get back into the swing of things... I picked up my old rag-tag set of clubs that were fine when I was a bit younger and 2ft smaller, and now I'm in the market to buy a new set.

I was looking at the Nike Slingshot Irons, not least because they're relatively cheap at just under £300 incl. delivery for a full set, but they come pretty well recommended. What I'm after is an answer as to whether they'd be suitable for a beginner/intermediate player, or should I be after something else?

Get yourself a set of Wilson Di7 fat shaft irons. Very comfortable and easy to use, nicely weighted with good loft and distance. The fat shafts stop twisting and aid a straighter shot.

Get yourself a set of Wilson Di7 fat shaft irons. Very comfortable and easy to use, nicely weighted with good loft and distance. The fat shafts stop twisting and aid a straighter shot.

They certainly look like an option... Excellent reviews and the fat shaft will definitely come in handy. At £250, they're a lot cheaper as well, I'll get myself down to American Golf and try them out.

They certainly look like an option... Excellent reviews and the fat shaft will definitely come in handy. At £250, they're a lot cheaper as well, I'll get myself down to American Golf and try them out.

ESB

Alternatively if your budget is £300

Pick up either a decent 2nd hand set or new slashed price set for £200

Spend the other £100 on lessons from a pro

No point in having great equipment in your hands if you dont know how to hit the ball properly.

ESB

Alternatively if your budget is £300

Pick up either a decent 2nd hand set or new slashed price set for £200

Spend the other £100 on lessons from a pro

No point in having great equipment in your hands if you dont know how to hit the ball properly.

Way ahead of you mate, Booked in for a few lessons in the coming weeks... I had a fair few lessons when I learnt how to play the game when I was younger, but had to choose between playing Football or Golf and, predictably, Football came out victorious. Having a few lessons just to sort the creases out of my swing and to sharpen my shortgame.

Way ahead of you mate, Booked in for a few lessons in the coming weeks... I had a fair few lessons when I learnt how to play the game when I was younger, but had to choose between playing Football or Golf and, predictably, Football came out victorious. Having a few lessons just to sort the creases out of my swing and to sharpen my shortgame.

Good stuff fella its money well spent I'm sure you know. Its great when a pro literally just makes a couple of points and then you start to play that little bit better.

Who you having lessons off of?

When I lived back in Essex I had coaching off of Paul Barham who was the pro at Crondon Park and later Stock Brook Manor. He drastically remodelled my swing but its a lot better now which inturn now helps me to shape the ball.

I've been having coaching on and off for 5yrs and as a result my handicap has come down from 24 to 16. It would be lower but playing once a week at the moment doesnt really get you in any kind of groove.

We'll have to sort out a Szone game perhaps one saturday morning before a home game. Gives me a double excuse to come back from MK then :)

Ive recently started getting into golf, picked up a second hand driver, 3 & 5 woods, and already had a decent set of irons from when i was younger and used to just knock balls about over a field..

Was wondering if it really is that benificiall to spend money on lessons though, considering ive spent near enough 4 nights a week lately down the driving range i dont think im doing too badly considering... do tend to slice the ball ever 5/6 attempts though, which i would prefer to avoid if i was to go onto a course anytime soon.

Also if i am going to go for lessons if anyone knows how good the ones down the belvedere driving range, off the 127 are.. thats the range i tend to visit so would more then likely go there for lessons. Another thing... how many on average are needed to be decent enough to play on a decent course without looking like a grade a twit.

Ive recently started getting into golf, picked up a second hand driver, 3 & 5 woods, and already had a decent set of irons from when i was younger and used to just knock balls about over a field..

Was wondering if it really is that benificiall to spend money on lessons though, considering ive spent near enough 4 nights a week lately down the driving range i dont think im doing too badly considering... do tend to slice the ball ever 5/6 attempts though, which i would prefer to avoid if i was to go onto a course anytime soon.

Also if i am going to go for lessons if anyone knows how good the ones down the belvedere driving range, off the 127 are.. thats the range i tend to visit so would more then likely go there for lessons. Another thing... how many on average are needed to be decent enough to play on a decent course without looking like a grade a twit.

Money for Golf Lessons, if you want to play courses, is probably the most value for money thing you'll spend on. They'll go through everything with you, analyse your swing, give you pointers, show you the right approach shots to be using etc... Golf is all about the time your willing to put in, but money spent on golf lessons will teach you how to play the game properly instead of just hitting balls straight.

In terms of the number of lessons, it really is up in the air... If you want to focus on a different aspect of your play each lesson and are able to practise on your own, then I'm guessing you could get on a course and start playing holes after 6-8 lessons, but I'd say that's being generous.

To answer Statski, I had my early lessons from the Pro at St. Andrews in Rochford, thoroughly decent lad who taught me an awful lot before I stopped learning. That course is quite nice as well.

ESB

Dont buy a set of golf clubs without testing them first mate.

Not sure where you live but in the south essex area there is Centre Golf which is situated next to the Carpenters Arms just off the old A130 outside Rayleigh. Also American golf discount at Lakeside and Gidea Park. Both have facilities where you can test clubs before you buy.

You could always test the clubs there and then look to see if you cab get them cheaper online but in my experience they are both pretty competative.

Hope thats helps :)

Happy Golfing

Stats

Best bit of advice by a country mile.

That and book a trip to Scotland to really enjoy a game of Golf

Back