• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yeah, don't worry, ignore the idiots, I am grateful for Mr Sturrock for rebuilding Southend Utd, when we was down on our knee in July 2010!! If he didn't took over, and someone else did (or Tilson stayed in charge) we would end up in bottom two and end up being below Braintree Town in the Conference!

What a fantastic job and I always go out with my mates in a good moods after a win! nice change from 2009/10!

For what it is worth, I offer my opinion. Direct play, using the strikers as playmakers, is a fair tactic taking into account the division and level of players ability. However, it is only direct play when the long ball pumped forward arrives in the vicinity of the strikers by design. It is hoofball when the ball is banged long in a hit and hope manner and when it all too often fails to arrive at the strikers or into space awaiting a forward running player. I applaud the team and manager for being second in the division and thank Tara and RM for doing their bit. I will however reserve the right to label much of the play as hoofball until more oft than not I can see the pass/clearance was aimed at the strikers and in the majority arrived with them.

This is absolutely spot on. When players look where they are passing the ball to and are accurate with their passes, it can be a very successful style of direct play. If, as often happens, a foot is swung at the ball WITHOUT looking where it's going and WITHOUT a degree of accuracy, I think we reserve the right to label it 'hoofball'. The only worrying thing for me is the lack of a plan B - if our direct style is sussed and stifled (see recent games), I'm not convinced that we have a different approach in our locker to try to unlock a defence.

I too would hope that the whole team, from groundsman all the way up to Tara, realise that the VAST MAJORITY of fans support and applaud everything they have done for the last season and a half. There may have been some bits that haven't been pretty, but if the end result is getting out of this league, then so be it.
Here's to a long and successful association.

being a sad git i looked through the stats of the 04-05 season i.e. similar situation. comparing to the same period we are now - we are higher in the league, scored more goals, conceded less goals and the average home crowd is about 800ish more. i don't see what more we could be could be doing at the moment - oh we've only lost once in the past 8 games at home and once in the last 6 away.

Wow - I'll be honest, I didn't think we were doing better than the Play-Off Winning Season at this stage. Puts it into perspective methinks...

Not sure why people are being labelled as idiots for questioning a style of football , I would expect to see the ball on the deck and a bit of composure at my level of football let alone from a team in teh topr 4 tiers of the English league , I fully understand why Sturrock deploys these tactics and yes they have been succesfull but it doesn;t mean that it is attractive on the eye.

However I sense that he also deep down knows this hence why he has bought in the tyoe of players he has ....these players IMO add better quality to our squad and especially Martin who won't want to be chasing aimless balls down the wing all day long , we will need to play to their strengths otherwise its pointless getting this type of player in .

Anyway I don't think anyone cany deny what a great job Sturrock is doing in such a small space of time and with a bit of tweaking and these additions and hopefully a bit more quality should we go up , we will do very well.

For what it is worth, I offer my opinion. Direct play, using the strikers as playmakers, is a fair tactic taking into account the division and level of players ability. However, it is only direct play when the long ball pumped forward arrives in the vicinity of the strikers by design. It is hoofball when the ball is banged long in a hit and hope manner and when it all too often fails to arrive at the strikers or into space awaiting a forward running player. I applaud the team and manager for being second in the division and thank Tara and RM for doing their bit. I will however reserve the right to label much of the play as hoofball until more oft than not I can see the pass/clearance was aimed at the strikers and in the majority arrived with them.

I too agree with the above .......... and it becomes a matter of expectations and ambitions.

Agree - 1st priority is to get promoted and all at the club are doing well here. :clap:

....... but already I am looking for more from the team as I want to see the team stabilise in division 3 and then push on - we have seen that we can match teams like Oldham and Preston - perhaps more will come later this season as the confidence and points total continue to rise?

Anyway, no complaints here given our position in August 2010 .................

A wee birdie told me the gaffer was surprised to hear that supporters would think that he and tara would put this club back in financial problems. Yes we are tottering at the cap limit and as has been the norm for many months were not as you would say financially secure like most clubs.This will not be helped by lack of home games in next two months but tara has kept this clubs head above water and the gaffer feels he should be congratulated on his running of a tight ship and he believes he will keep us going in right direction.The gaffer is also surprised how fans tag his style of play as hoofball rather than direct play using our strikers as playmakers. His job is to revamp southend united from top to bottom and promote the club and that his main aim is winning football games he was surprised fans would rather draw 3-3 than win 1-0 and that they have boyctted games in protest.A fan should support his team through thick and thin but if he cant hope he enjoyed shopping with the wife. Lets get behind your team and back the boys wether bad or good..

Playing direct to front men is fine and has worked well for majority of the season, when it goes wrong like Bradford it looks awful but lets face face every team from Man City downwards have games when they look poor. The more worrying comment here is that we at the limit financially and have very few home games in the next month or so. I hope we can afford all those refunds Ron gave out for the Aldershot game?!

This is absolutely spot on. When players look where they are passing the ball to and are accurate with their passes, it can be a very successful style of direct play. If, as often happens, a foot is swung at the ball WITHOUT looking where it's going and WITHOUT a degree of accuracy, I think we reserve the right to label it 'hoofball'. The only worrying thing for me is the lack of a plan B - if our direct style is sussed and stifled (see recent games), I'm not convinced that we have a different approach in our locker to try to unlock a defence.

Luggy - a wee birdie tells me that Billy Kee would be the ideal signing if available. He scores goals and can also play in the hole when required. I'm sure he'd be a good fit alongside either one of our target men.

Back