• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Reading

Have been sent away next week to a rather posh hotel for a week long course, I doubt I'll stay in said posh place ebvery night so whats the low down on where to go, any band venues/live music etc indian grub etc

Cheerz

I was at university there for three years (96-99) and many of my mates stayed there after graduation so I still go back there lots.

Plenty of good curry places in Reading - the Sardar Palace was always a favourite of mine.

The Fez Club is a bit of a mixed bag. Sometimes crap DJs, other times good live bands. Give it a try.

The Purple Turtle is always good for a late drink. They stay open until God knows what hour and it's an odd mix of goths, punks, ageing rockers and students. I always end up there whenever I'm back in Reading.

my girlfriend goes uni there now and i go there every few weeks, theres a lot of good clubs, bars, retaurants and shopping etc around the oracle!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Uxbridge Shrimper @ Jan. 11 2007,11:20)]The Purple Turtle is always good for a late drink. They stay open until God knows what hour and it's an odd mix of goths, punks, ageing rockers and students. I always end up there whenever I'm back in Reading.
I really hate it when you think a place is fairly unique only to find out it's part of a chain.

sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Jan. 11 2007,11:24)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Uxbridge Shrimper @ Jan. 11 2007,11:20)]The Purple Turtle is always good for a late drink. They stay open until God knows what hour and it's an odd mix of goths, punks, ageing rockers and students. I always end up there whenever I'm back in Reading.
I really hate it when you think a place is fairly unique only to find out it's part of a chain.

sad.gif
I was similarly disappointed when I found that out. There used to be another Turtle in Reading, but I thought that was it
sad.gif

readings has the same sort of thing we have in southend. relfex, varsity, yates etc.

head towards oracle and theres loads of things to do down there!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mattytheshrimper @ Jan. 11 2007,12:01)]readings has the same sort of thing we have in southend. relfex, varsity, yates etc.
As does any mid size plus town/city in the UK.
We are becoming almost Americanised in the way town & city centres are becoming clones of each other!

Quite sad IMHO!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Jan. 11 2007,12:11)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (mattytheshrimper @ Jan. 11 2007,12:01)]readings has the same sort of thing we have in southend. relfex, varsity, yates etc.
As does any mid size plus town/city in the UK.
We are becoming almost Americanised in the way town & city centres are becoming clones of each other!

Quite sad IMHO!
Too true. I had an American lecturer about 8/9 years ago who commented how similar the shops in Reading, Berkshire were to his home town Reading, Pennsylvania
down.gif

From my experience with Reading, I'd say the best place to go is probably the library, or even just a comfy chair at home.

Thanks, I'll be here all week folks.

down.gif

Back