• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
With the main bars open at 10 a.m. on Saturday, the guest ale will be Wells and Young's Yorkshire Gold!

Come along to the ground and enjoy a pint or two before the game!

:spread:

With the main bars open at 10 a.m. on Saturday, the guest ale will be Wells and Young's Yorkshire Gold!

Come along to the ground and enjoy a pint or two before the game!

:spread:

Taking a moment off from Refwatch and moving on to Beerwatch, are you sure it's not London Gold ?

Yorkshire Gold is brewed by the Leeds Brewery (as you might expect, rather than one from Bedford).

Slapheadsteve should be able to confirm; he knows a thing or two about such matters.

Taking a moment off from Refwatch and moving on to Beerwatch, are you sure it's not London Gold ?

Yorkshire Gold is brewed by the Leeds Brewery (as you might expect, rather than one from Bedford).

Slapheadsteve should be able to confirm; he knows a thing or two about such matters.

Sounds right - never heard of Young's having a Yorkshire Gold.

Last edited:
That's what I've been told via the bars' manager....I'll go back and check if you don't think that's right.

Edit - Sharon is adamant that's what it is! Wells and Young - Yorkshire Gold!

Last edited:
That's what I've been told via the bars' manager....I'll go back and check if you don't think that's right.

Edit - Sharon is adamant that's what it is! Wells and Young - Yorkshire Gold!

O.B.L.

As Mick says Youngs or Charles Wells dont brew a ale called Yorkshire Gold.
Yorkshire Gold is brewed by Leeds and Youngs cannot use the name Yorkshire Gold, or legal action may take place!!.

You cant brew a beer in Bedford and call it Yorkshire Gold. Bedford is not in Yorkshire?.

This has started me off, after visiting every away ground this year.
I do think our bar facilites are partically poor regards Ale.
The club are really missing a money spinner, just look down the road at Orient how much money they make out
of there club (best club in London voted by C.A.M.R.A. members. Go in there on match days!!
We just offer a very mainstream firkin. I dont drink in the ground, the choice is not good and i understand when one has gone you have to drink fizzy lager. It all down to being tied to a national supplier. Just get local ale. Brighton did and you can get Harveys any side of the ground and from what i understand takings went up four fold. But Ron does not get that.

I really hope that if/when we get to FF that there is a decent offering of ale, and not just Tetleys or whatever.

O.B.L.

As Mick says Youngs or Charles Wells dont brew a ale called Yorkshire Gold.
Yorkshire Gold is brewed by Leeds and Youngs cannot use the name Yorkshire Gold, or legal action may take place!!.

You cant brew a beer in Bedford and call it Yorkshire Gold. Bedford is not in Yorkshire?.

This has started me off, after visiting every away ground this year.
I do think our bar facilites are partically poor regards Ale.
The club are really missing a money spinner, just look down the road at Orient how much money they make out
of there club (best club in London voted by C.A.M.R.A. members. Go in there on match days!!
We just offer a very mainstream firkin. I dont drink in the ground, the choice is not good and i understand when one has gone you have to drink fizzy lager. It all down to being tied to a national supplier. Just get local ale. Brighton did and you can get Harveys any side of the ground and from what i understand takings went up four fold. But Ron does not get that.

What he just said :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well, I do understand there are a lot of real ale aficionados out there, but I am only repeating what the bar manager has been told by the brewery that supplies the club. We'll see on Saturday I suppose, the real ales that have been on offer have been excellent this season, it's just a shame that more don't take the time to come in and enjoy them.

The West, as far as I remember (it's been discussed before), doesn't have the facilities for these type of ales, although there should be bottled ales such as Deuchars over there.

And as for criticising what's been on offer? The club tried a real ale festival last year, with support from the players and it was really badly supported.

Well, I do understand there are a lot of real ale aficionados out there, but I am only repeating what the bar manager has been told by the brewery that supplies the club. We'll see on Saturday I suppose, the real ales that have been on offer have been excellent this season, it's just a shame that more don't take the time to come in and enjoy them.

The West, as far as I remember (it's been discussed before), doesn't have the facilities for these type of ales, although there should be bottled ales such as Deuchars over there.

And as for criticising what's been on offer? The club tried a real ale festival last year, with support from the players and it was really badly supported.
Sorry O.B.L.

I have to pull you up on the real ale festival last year. It was badly supported during the week, but on the Saturday was extemly well supported.
The problem was the publicity was awful, and closing at 8p.m. on the Saturday (Last game of season) there were still over thirty drinkers in the Shrimpers, but the club closed the bar as no one would be paid after that time.
So all the remaining ale was chucked down the drain, despite all those people wanting to stay and put money into the club.
The ale chucked away was 100% profit??

I and the parts of my Rochford Beer and Cider Festival team who support Southend have offered to run another Festival BUT we would want no interference from the club on what we order, Publicity (which i would work with the club) and how long the festival would last.
Finally what my volunters would be with rewarded with (not cash).
When i spoke to Sharon and Gary Lockett (who was C.E.O. at the time) they were happy with the turnout on the Saturday.

Sorry O.B.L.

I have to pull you up on the real ale festival last year. It was badly supported during the week, but on the Saturday was extemly well supported.
The problem was the publicity was awful, and closing at 8p.m. on the Saturday (Last game of season) there were still over thirty drinkers in the Shrimpers, but the club closed the bar as no one would be paid after that time.
So all the remaining ale was chucked down the drain, despite all those people wanting to stay and put money into the club.
The ale chucked away was 100% profit??

I and the parts of my Rochford Beer and Cider Festival team who support Southend have offered to run another Festival BUT we would want no interference from the club on what we order, Publicity (which i would work with the club) and how long the festival would last.
Finally what my volunters would be with rewarded with (not cash).
When i spoke to Sharon and Gary Lockett (who was C.E.O. at the time) they were happy with the turnout on the Saturday.

Does one day make the whole week worth people's time though? I agree it wasn't publicised in the best way, personally, I'd like to see it done to combine with Meet the Blues Day, with a day for serious drinkers on the Saturday, and then the rest to hopefully be sold off on the Sunday.

If you're serious about the idea, why not broach it with Steve Kavanagh?

Does one day make the whole week worth people's time though? I agree it wasn't publicised in the best way, personally, I'd like to see it done to combine with Meet the Blues Day, with a day for serious drinkers on the Saturday, and then the rest to hopefully be sold off on the Sunday.

If you're serious about the idea, why not broach it with Steve Kavanagh?

He is aware, and Ken has informed him.
I am happy to meet Steve Kavanagh, but would want a total free hand when ordering the Ale not the clubs supplier.
Will finish this now as i think its more important we concentrate on geting to Wembley.

Just get local ale. Brighton did and you can get Harveys any side of the ground and from what i understand takings went up four fold. But Ron does not get that.

Brighton's beer offerings are excellent, as is their ground (shame we have Ron Martin and not Tony Bloom!). As well as having local Sussex real ales, they get in a few barrels of a beer local to the visiting team just to make their supporters feel at home!

Not by me it wasn't.I even dragged my wife there on the Friday night.......and she's not a real ale fan at all.

Back