• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Red Ed's Speech and Vision

Ok, let's try this again shall we? When you click on the link what headline do you get? The one I get is "David Cameron suggests cutting benefits for under-25s".

Now, when read with the article, it at no point says that the Conservatives will do this, just that they may do.

The point I was making, was that it's not a definite (which I took MK's post as stating). Yes it may happen, but there's a big difference between will and may.

The headline I quoted was the one you had to click on,on the front page,to get the rest of the story yesterday.

As a language teacher I'm aware that there's a difference between will and may,thanks.

It was interesting to note on Newsnight last night, from the Government's spokesman,Francis Maude, that:-

1) Clearly this back of an envelope idea hasn't been thought though yet (my opinion),

2) The idea has already been popularly received and is extremely likely that it will make it into the 2015 election Tory manifesto.

If that happens, may is likely to become will in short order.

One extremely worring idea,(for me at least ). was the proposal that housing benefit will automatically be withdrawn from all under 25's not in work, education or training.

Last edited:
That is not an answer. Yorkshire's point is that there will (and already have been) unintended consequences of this announcement. To say that it isn't the intention of the policy and therefore it will not happen is not a mature argument. In fact, it is not even an argument. ( the first unintended consequence was wiping some £2bn off the value of energy companies. You may not care, but millions of people have an indirect investment through their pension).

Having checked the share price of British Gas you are indeed correct that the price has fallen in the last few days. However, if you look at the share price over the last 6 months you'll see that the price now is pretty much the same, but slightly higher than it was before a peak in the middle of September. I.e. the price now is the same as it was from about the middle of July to just before a spike early last month. Moreover the price is now trading at pretty much the highest it has been since May/June time, other than the spike early last month.

I don't think it has really made that much difference to the share price actually:

BG.gif

Ok, let's try this again shall we? When you click on the link what headline do you get? The one I get is "David Cameron suggests cutting benefits for under-25s".

Now, when read with the article, it at no point says that the Conservatives will do this, just that they may do.

The point I was making, was that it's not a definite (which I took MK's post as stating). Yes it may happen, but there's a big difference between will and may.

Indeed. One's male and the other's female.

The headline I quoted was the one you had to click on,on the front page,to get the rest of the story yesterday.

As a language teacher I'm aware that there's a difference between will and may,thanks.

It was interesting to note on Newsnight last night, from the Government's spokesman,Francis Maude, that:-

1) Clearly this back of an envelope idea hasn't been thought though yet (my opinion),

2) The idea has already been popularly received and is extremely likely that it will make it into the 2015 election Tory manifesto.

If that happens, may is likely to become will in short order.

One extremely worring idea,(for me at least ). was the proposal that housing benefit will automatically be withdrawn from all under 25's not in work, education or training.

I've got a WORRYING feeling you've opened a can of worms here.

I've got a WORRYING feeling you've opened a can of worms here.

Amazingly, I can count something like fifteen errors in the same post you've quoted there. Yes, fifteen. It's amazing that Barna thinks it sensible to pull someone else up on their post. That said, I think this is best nipping in the bud now as ShrimperZone will be all the poorer if we're going to start pulling people up on every error. Much as our friend never seems happier than when a thread is diverted to focus on him, let's stick to the topics... and, in this instance, get back to the misadventures of Miliband and Balls.

Yep - That fool Miliband has got the energy firms panicing already!
So good old Ed is ging to freeze energy prices for 20 months. How? He doesn't control world wholesale prices. The energy firms won't work and lose money, so the only way to pay for a potential increase in prices it via the taxpayer. Another example of Labour spending money they don't have. Barna?

So good old Ed is ging to freeze energy prices for 20 months. How? He doesn't control world wholesale prices. The energy firms won't work and lose money, so the only way to pay for a potential increase in prices it via the taxpayer. Another example of Labour spending money they don't have. Barna?

Actually that's not strictly true. They could undo some of the things he did as Energy Secretary which caused an "upward pressure on pricing".

However, a more likely solution is that he'd just impose a temporary ban on price rises after the market has factored in two years of no price rises.

Back