• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch Refwatch ......... Eastleigh (A)

Nearer 40, but as you say an unnecessary appointment the like of which normally counts against the home team as the referee strives to emphasize his neutrality and errs the other way. Not yesterday, obviously.
40 minutes, 25 miles, my mistake but my point still stands and you bringing up the example of the King’s Lynn game last season just proves two wrongs don’t make a right.

I Can't understand why He couldn't just not be able to take the gig in the first place?
You know you're leaving yourself open and as Mick says probably in a no win situation!
(sometimes both sets of fans will agree on ref, very rare I know).
It would never happen higher up (Mike Dean asked to ref Tranmere).
I'll just add I don't think He supports Eastleigh, but If I was asked to Ref Canvey living in Benfleet! I'd turn it down.

I Can't understand why He couldn't just not be able to take the gig in the first place?
You know you're leaving yourself open and as Mick says probably in a no win situation!
(sometimes both sets of fans will agree on ref, very rare I know).
It would never happen higher up (Mike Dean asked to ref Tranmere).
I'll just add I don't think He supports Eastleigh, but If I was asked to Ref Canvey living in Benfleet! I'd turn it down.
Mike Dean was appointed Liverpool and Everton games though.

i umpired cricket back in australia in the Mornington Peninsula league and i made it known i would never umpire a match my son was involved in , leaving yourself open to criticism if you did , same should be with referees appointments ,should never ever be assigned to referee a match involving the town/city you live close to, VNL to me going out of there way to prove what a tinpot league it is , run by incompetant officials.

How is a referee assessed in this league @Mick? I assume there is an observer at the ground but do reports from the two clubs count as well? And my other bit of confusion, assuming he sees it, should the referee include any incidents after a game including players inciting supporters?

The referee should act on any misconduct after the final whistle (assuming he sees it) and a card can still be shown. He can/should include all misconduct in his report.

When you say inciting supporters, what form did this take? Some supporters can be very easily "incited".

Maybe my answer will be a bit subjective, but there were about 5/6 of the Eastleigh players just standing at the barrier in the front of our stand laughing at the supporters and making hand gestures at us (the subjective bit). I interpreted some as being the fisting sign and as for their audience, there were a lot of us of a more mature type who don't normally react to that sort of thing but an awful lot did. Unfortunately it also followed that some of our more volatile 'fans' started throwing water bottles and a lighter. It just seemed wrong (from both sides).

Had it happened in front of the standing Southend fans on the side of the pitch, it would have certainly got very nasty.

Maybe my answer will be a bit subjective, but there were about 5/6 of the Eastleigh players just standing at the barrier in the front of our stand laughing at the supporters and making hand gestures at us (the subjective bit). I interpreted some as being the fisting sign and as for their audience, there were a lot of us of a more mature type who don't normally react to that sort of thing but an awful lot did. Unfortunately it also followed that some of our more volatile 'fans' started throwing water bottles and a lighter. It just seemed wrong (from both sides).

Had it happened in front of the standing Southend fans on the side of the pitch, it would have certainly got very nasty.

Laughing they'd probably get away with, but inappropriate and unprovoked(?) gestures at the crowd are certainly clear examples of misconduct, if witnessed.

Curious - they've just won a hard fought 3 points, why would they not be celebrating amongst themselves and their own fans. Unless of course there had been any abuse aimed at them by visiting fans? It often seems those who shout abuse are usually the first to complain when anyone reacts. I wasn't there; I don't know.

The point being they avoided going too near the standing fans who would more likely have given them abuse and run on if provoked. They chose to mock and give the hand gestures to the seated stand which was further back from the pitch and contained the older fans and children who would not react (ala Solihull Moors) but many were so incensed that the players numbers involved were taken by what I assume to be the chief steward.

Reactions: RHB
The point being they avoided going too near the standing fans who would more likely have given them abuse and run on if provoked. They chose to mock and give the hand gestures to the seated stand which was further back from the pitch and contained the older fans and children who would not react (ala Solihull Moors) but many were so incensed that the players numbers involved were taken by what I assume to be the chief steward.
I was standing on the side, on the terrace. When they finished goading the seats they turned our way, hence numerous bottles and a cigarette lighter being thrown from that section. I agree with a comment above. When we win as we did yesterday we never go anywhere near the away fans. they go straight over to the West and make their way round. My only thinking is on Saturday was we are a big fish in this pond, a big away following so they saw it is a huge win etc

I was standing on the side, on the terrace. When they finished goading the seats they turned our way, hence numerous bottles and a cigarette lighter being thrown from that section. I agree with a comment above. When we win as we did yesterday we never go anywhere near the away fans. they go straight over to the West and make their way round. My only thinking is on Saturday was we are a big fish in this pond, a big away following so they saw it is a huge win etc
That's exactly what it is. We had the same with the gobby prick (Reynolds was it?) at Daggers last season who ran the length of the away end cupping his ears and giving it the biggun.

Having seen the actions of the Eastleigh players after the final whistle in D1versity’s vlog, I would say they were being inciteful. However, the actions of our fans throwing bottles and other objects at them is just as bad and two wrongs don’t make a right. Had our fans merely given the Eastleigh players verbal abuse it might have been worth submitting the video to the league for their opinion, but the behaviour of our fans would only probably lead to us being chastised unfortunately.

Back