• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Relegation appeal

Maldon Shrimper

First XI⭐
Its was mentioned yesterday that Grimsby backed up by Southend are appealing the relegation to the NL which will be heard by the EFL I believe in June.As I understand it's all to do with the NL only allowing promotion and no relegation. Whilst I along with all Southend and Grimsby fans would be delighted that relegation didn't happen somehow dont believe it will occur. Await with interest what the EFL have to say

Its was mentioned yesterday that Grimsby backed up by Southend are appealing the relegation to the NL which will be heard by the EFL I believe in June.As I understand it's all to do with the NL only allowing promotion and no relegation. Whilst I along with all Southend and Grimsby fans would be delighted that relegation didn't happen somehow dont believe it will occur. Await with interest what the EFL have to say
Can’t see that working, the reasoning being that the National League are not relegating teams or promoting from North or South. If the EFL see any reasoning in this suggestion this would propose a league 2 of 26 teams and a national league of 21 teams or 20 if they lose Dover.

As I have said on other posts, i get why they are doing it or trying it, but it wont work in my opinion. More chance of someone near us going into admin

Can’t see that working, the reasoning being that the National League are not relegating teams or promoting from North or South. If the EFL see any reasoning in this suggestion this would propose a league 2 of 26 teams and a national league of 21 teams or 20 if they lose Dover.

Wouldn't it just stop promotion from the National League?

There is no relegation from the National League because the leagues below were unable to finish their season and only played 19 games out of the possible 40.

I can't see the appeal being successful. If it is, then won't League 1 clubs being relegated make the same appeal? Then what about Championship clubs? Premier league?

Wouldn't it just stop promotion from the National League?

There is no relegation from the National League because the leagues below were unable to finish their season and only played 19 games out of the possible 40.

I can't see the appeal being successful. If it is, then won't League 1 clubs being relegated make the same appeal? Then what about Championship clubs? Premier league?
They could have used a points per game system like the EFL did last season but chose not too, still doesnt deter from the clutching at straws of sending a letter to the FA

Not saying it will work- in fact no doubt it won’t.

But please remember at the same time, last season the EFL could not have been clearer. There simply had to be relegations as well as promotions in order to preserve the integrity of the competition. Further, if there wasn’t, it would likely mean that the Prem would not accept promotion from the Championship and relegation into the Championship. This was stated repeatedly. Hence the basis for the ‘appeal’ I guess- the main supporting witness being..well the EFL themselves.

This all said the EFL is an organisation stripped of any credibility, and who I suspect will have no issue changing their tune to suit. As we know, to them rules are meaningless if they don’t like them, and at all times subject to retrospective change.

Due to the impact of going into NL, I would expect both Grimsby and Southend to explore every avenue so either or both clubs are not relegated.

No harm trying and they might have a case regarding if it's fair or not based on the actions of the NL, not how shambolic we are on the pitch.
This really, especially as the EFL’s previous stated views are clear and probably at best embarrassing to row back from. That said I suspect for the EFL even acute embarrassment is water off a duck’s back.

Seems a bit late now, shouldn‘t we have made this appeal back in November when we were relegated….?

Jokes aside, I see no harm in this especially as this would have been made by Grimsby anyway with or without us.

Not saying it will work- in fact no doubt it won’t.

But please remember at the same time, last season the EFL could not have been clearer. There simply had to be relegations as well as promotions in order to preserve the integrity of the competition. Further, if there wasn’t, it would likely mean that the Prem would not accept promotion from the Championship and relegation into the Championship. This was stated repeatedly. Hence the basis for the ‘appeal’ I guess- the main supporting witness being..well the EFL themselves.
Surely that's an argument in favour of relegating us? The EFL is doing promotions therefore they have to do relegations, the National League isn't run by the EFL so their policy on relegation has nothing to do with them.

I don't agree with it and think there's zero chance it will happen. How can you tell Torquay or whoever that they can't come back up after winning the NL. Imagine how we'd feel in that situation. Plus you'd have all the relegated clubs from the divisions above all wanting the same outcome for the same reason.

Just take it on the chin Ron. we've been awful for 2 or 3 years, we deserve it. Now we need to earn the right to return.

We deserve to go down, no doubt about that. By Ron only appealing now we look pathetic, I completely agree.

Do I believe we'll win and get anywhere, no chance.

BUT, and I never support Ron, I can kind of see his point. We started the season not knowing that the league below us wouldn't be having relegation because the league didn't start until October.

I feel like if league 2 clubs knew this before our season started there would of been quite a few unhappy clubs.

National league took advantage of the no relegation decision by not competing in many games for one reason or another. I get why some teams failed to fulfil fixtures in the current climate, however had there been relegation, they clearly would of tried a lot harder to play the games. Dover are the prime example here and got hit with a points deduction which means nothing considering they wouldn't be relegated. Whether they start with a points deduction next season I don't know.

Surely that's an argument in favour of relegating us? The EFL is doing promotions therefore they have to do relegations, the National League isn't run by the EFL so their policy on relegation has nothing to do with them.
Nor is the Prem ran by them, but they that made the point unless they had promotion and the relegation then the Prem would not relegate and hence no promotion from the Championship.
In the current scenario for Prem read EFL and for EFL read NL. I would say they can’t have it both ways but of course...

I would think that it will be still relegation possibly if they do agree that we and Grimsby have a case even though it will not happen ,it could be some sort of financial benefit but really is it really worth it
Could open a can of worms

Back