• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Religious news thread

But which unequivocal fact tells you that God doesn't exist? There is no solid proof that he does or doesn't exist, surely?

Surely the complete lack of proof a god exists is what is important. How does someone go about proving a fictional man made enitity created by people thousands of years ago to explain their lack of science doesnt exist ?

The fact we can demonstrate the earth wasnt created by god in 7 days, that dinosaurs existed and are not mentioned at all and so on shows the bible to be a lot of nonsense.

Nothing about 'god' makes any logical sense and its always astounded me anyone can actually believe in it. Then again some people support Colchester, so each to their own.

Nothing about 'god' makes any logical sense and its always astounded me anyone can actually believe in it. Then again some people support Colchester, so each to their own.

People are weak and feel they need some kind of higher purpose to get through this miserable plane of existence.

When I was a clippie for Eastern National, not many late night 3/3A's for Canvey,especially on Friday/Saturday nights, ever came back to Southend garage in the same condition though. :smiles:

Your brother has a thread about how awesome he is so its about time you had your own you thread for all you brilliant life stories and subjects that you are an expert on.
Back on thread id just like to throw into the ring the fact that at cat-o-lic school St Anselms i attained the grand mark of X for my r.e. GCSC,I feel that the brothers de la salle failed me because as a child with a bit of a brain they hated the questions like WHY or even HOW.

Are you suggesting God lives on Canvey? :winking:

My fav graffiti:
e2yvu4ed.jpg

http://www.newdualism.org/nde-papers/Morse/Morse-Journal of Near-Death Studies_1989-8-45-53.pdf

There's one. Ok, maybe I was a bit OTT about actual proof, but it's been shown on rats that when they die, vast amounts of seratonin are released.

I love the line in the conclusion of this, "much of our work is speculative".

We do a whole unit on life after death and look at NDE. Lots of unexplained stuff (like people identifying pictures on high up shelves, as if they have been floating above their body), really fascinating. More than seratonin, I've read stuff about the lack of oxygen to the brain causing the 'visions'.

What is hard to argue is the profound effect these have on many individuals, and regardless of actual proof, because of this (inc conversions resolute atheists like Flew and Ayer) they need to be taken quite seriously as a possibility.

What is hard to argue is the profound effect these have on many individuals, and regardless of actual proof, because of this (inc conversions resolute atheists like Flew and Ayer) they need to be taken quite seriously as a possibility.

I've read reports that Ayer's work was ghostwritten by another so his conversion may not be so black and white. Besides, one or two men "finding God" is hardly proof for anything - most athiests and agnostics were at one point, religious to an extent especially us born in the 70's when we had a Christian assembly with prayers and hymns sung everyday. It was not until my mid teens that I rejected Christianity (to start with) and then "god" all together. Nothing I've seen, read or heard in 20+ years has convinced be otherwise.

People are weak and feel they need some kind of higher purpose to get through this miserable plane of existence.

Oh please.

Does that apply to Abraham Lincoln, Nelson Mandella, Evander Hollyfield, Martin Luther King, Deitrich Bonhoffer, C.S.Lewis, Alice Cooper, George Washington, J.R.R. Tolkein, Kriss Akabusi* etc etc?

What is weak there is the silly stereotyping which detracts from an interesting debate.

*He supports West Ham, so still some work needed.......

Oh please.

Does that apply to Abraham Lincoln, Nelson Mandella, Evander Hollyfield, Martin Luther King, Deitrich Bonhoffer, C.S.Lewis, Alice Cooper, George Washington, J.R.R. Tolkein, Kriss Akabusi* etc etc?

What is weak there is the silly stereotyping which detracts from an interesting debate.

*He supports West Ham, so still some work needed.......

I think BA was talking about human nature - the fact we need a supernatural safety net to come to terms with the fragility of our existence.

Most of the people you list were born nearly a hundred years ago or more and their "faith" has a lot more to do with when and where they were born than anything else. Although I do love a good "awooga" is Kris Akabussi the best we can do here? You might just as well have listed some famous Scientologists.....

Akabusi Fed-Up of ‘Awooga’ Slur

Posted on July 4, 2012

Kriss Akabusi has stated he is to launch legal action giving him the right to strike anyone who wrongly claims he said ‘Awooga!’

Olympic Gold medallist, Akabusi, has said he has had enough of people stopping him in the street and shouting, “Awooga!” in his face. “It was alright at first, but enough is enough now,” said the former Record Breakers presenter.

The word has wrongly been attributed to Akabusi after a number of comedic stories that were circulated on the internet a decade ago. In these stories, Akabusi sexually pleasures a plethora of women in comedic circumstances.

The stories have achieved cult status and always sign off with the line, “he whispered ‘Awooga’ before patting her on the fanny.”

Akabusi has gone on record as saying he is fond of the stories – testament to his good natured character – but he is less happy about being linked with the catchphrase, “Awooga!”, which belongs to ex Wimbledon footballer, John Fashanu.

Dr Carlton Livingston, lead lecturer in Black History at Suffolk University, has highlighted where the root of this error lies, “it’s rather simple, when you look at it: both were giants in the entertainment business, both were successful sportsmen and, crucially, both were the above at the same time.”

Akabusi reckons he is stopped at least fourteen times each day by someone shouting, “Awooga!” in his face. “That’s over five thousand times a year, man,” said an exasperated Akabusi, 53, outside the Old Bailey yesterday. “How would you like having ‘Awooga!’ shouted at you when you’re in McDonalds with your kids or on a bike-ride with your wife?” he went on to say.

He is now moving to have a law passed that allows him to strike anyone who utters the phrase at him. If it goes ahead, it could be a pivotal case in legal history. “Obviously it’s not going to be easy, but we’ll fight it all the way,” added the track and field legend.

Akabusi finished off his statement criticising John Fashanu, calling him a coward who should step up and accept responsibility for his catchphrase. “It’s a bit out of order, to be fair. He coined it yet I have to live with it.” He then went on to make reference to his own, forgotten catchphrase that was used weekly on Record Breakers, “No one goes up to him when he’s out, pumps their arm and goes ‘Awiiiiight!’ Do they?”

The case continues.

Back