• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Religious news thread

Former atheist philosopher Anthony Flew came to the conclusion that there was a God through following the facts:

How The World’s Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind

‘I must stress that my discovery of the Divine has proceeded on a purely natural level, without any reference to supernatural phenomena. It has been an exercise in what has traditionally been called natural theology. It has had no connection with any of the revealed religions. Nor do I claim to have had any personal experience of God or any experience that may be called supernatural or miraculous. In short, my discovery of the Divine has been a pilgrimage of reason and not of faith’ .

AJ Ayer who famously wrote 'all God talk in nonsense also maybe converted. He was a logical positivist, subscribing wholeheartedly to the verification principle:

In 1988, shortly before his death, Ayer wrote an article entitled, "What I saw when I was dead", describing an unusual near-death experience. Of the experience, Ayer first said that it "slightly weakened my conviction that my genuine death ... will be the end of me, though I continue to hope that it will be." However, a few days later he revised this, saying "what I should have said is that my experiences have weakened, not my belief that there is no life after death, but my inflexible attitude towards that belief".

In 2001 Dr. Jeremy George, the attending physician, claimed that Ayer had confided to him: "I saw a Divine Being. I'm afraid I'm going to have to revise all my books and opinions." Ayer's son Nick, however, said that he had never mentioned this to him though he did find his father's words to be extraordinary, and said he had long felt there was something possibly suspect about his father's version of his near death experience.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._J._Ayer

AJ Ayer who famously wrote 'all God talk in nonsense also maybe converted. He was a logical positivist, subscribing wholeheartedly to the verification principle:

In 1988, shortly before his death, Ayer wrote an article entitled, "What I saw when I was dead", describing an unusual near-death experience. Of the experience, Ayer first said that it "slightly weakened my conviction that my genuine death ... will be the end of me, though I continue to hope that it will be." However, a few days later he revised this, saying "what I should have said is that my experiences have weakened, not my belief that there is no life after death, but my inflexible attitude towards that belief".

In 2001 Dr. Jeremy George, the attending physician, claimed that Ayer had confided to him: "I saw a Divine Being. I'm afraid I'm going to have to revise all my books and opinions." Ayer's son Nick, however, said that he had never mentioned this to him though he did find his father's words to be extraordinary, and said he had long felt there was something possibly suspect about his father's version of his near death experience.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._J._Ayer

Thats all the proof i needed that god is there,great work that man and no pictures were used.

Yeah if that bloke believed it must be true.

Ill ignore all that stuff about god that makes no sense whatsoever and believe myself now.

So 12 years after some fella died another fella CLAIMS he said there was a divine being. No one else can verify this CLAIM.

Is this suppossed to be evidence of a god?

So 12 years after some fella died another fella CLAIMS he said there was a divine being. No one else can verify this CLAIM.

Dont forget theres a book written about it. Been a few films too. Must be true.

Near death experiences have been proved to be nothing more than the brain releasing vast amounts of seratonin as it dies, hence the warm, peaceful feeling, tunnels of light etc.

Mr brother one took LSD and thought the plug sockets were after him. The brain can do strange things at times. The key is not to put everything you dont understand down to an all powerful being (and not take LSD if you have ridiculous hallucinations).

Near death experiences have been proved to be nothing more than the brain releasing vast amounts of seratonin as it dies, hence the warm, peaceful feeling, tunnels of light etc.

Cite your proof please. It's a suggestion, as is lack of oxygen. However, it's pretty much untestable, so impossible to gain certain conclusions.

No, that wasn't the point. It shows that even the most resolute atheists (well Ayer wasn't technically an atheists... He though to say there is no God is as nonsense as to say there is a God) can change their mind.

Mr brother one took LSD and thought the plug sockets were after him. The brain can do strange things at times. The key is not to put everything you dont understand down to an all powerful being (and not take LSD if you have ridiculous hallucinations).

I think we've moved on somewhat from the God of the gaps.

Theists who believe in creation as OPPOSED to the Big Bang are fools. However it is entirely possible that both are true. Genesis is a poem after all...

I think we've moved on somewhat from the God of the gaps.

Theists who believe in creation as OPPOSED to the Big Bang are fools. However it is entirely possible that both are true. Genesis is a poem after all...

That is a good point Andy, both do go in tangent.I believe there was a " Big Bang" as I also believe in evolution. Creation would IMO cover both. This world is to complex for it all to have happened at random though..I don't believe in organised religion though as you know, but we are all energy and the differences in peoples beliefs seem to cause more damage than good most times.

But which unequivocal fact tells you that God doesn't exist? There is no solid proof that he does or doesn't exist, surely?

Logic and common sense coupled with the scientific facts that tell me how the world was created and how life begun on earth plus i dont like fairy tales.
If your jewish god keeps you fuzzy warm then good for you but as for me i hold those that believe in these so called gods and believe she/he made all around us as a little bit sillypantsish,just my view and others are available.

Agreed that no one will ever be able to give a definite answer to the existence of God. However do I believe in a creator? No because of the second law of entropy - everything in the Universe moves from an ordered state to a disordered one. Hence, every living thing, every planet, every star will end. This is a fact - life may exist for a few billion years, but a cold empty universe where all there is are neutrons floating around will last for many trillions. Why would a benign creator make something that is ultimately pointless?

Back