• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Religious news thread

So you want arguments for the existence of God?

Thankfully I teach philosophy so where shall we start? Telelogical, cosmological, ontological, moral... Or would you like me to start with theodicies, religious experience? ;)

You probably guessed I was :net: but as you've listed them I'd love to hear the above reasoned arguments. You haven't faired very well in these discussions in the past so maybe this is your big chance to enlighten us all.... :smile:

You probably guessed I was :net: but as you've listed them I'd love to hear the above reasoned arguments. You haven't faired very well in these discussions in the past so maybe this is your big chance to enlighten us all.... :smile:

Well unfortunately I'm actually teaching today. Perhaps I can do a miniseries? 'Pickledseal's Guide to the Classic Arguments for God's Existence'. Perhaps we all then choose one and have a little competition?

Intrigued by saying I haven't faired well though? In what sense, that I haven't converted everyone?! That would never be my aim... Ha! :D

Well unfortunately I'm actually teaching today. Perhaps I can do a miniseries? 'Pickledseal's Guide to the Classic Arguments for God's Existence'. Perhaps we all then choose one and have a little competition?

Intrigued by saying I haven't faired well though? In what sense, that I haven't converted everyone?! That would never be my aim... Ha! :D

I've read Hitchen's "God is not great" (while in Saudi too - I could have paid with my neck for that one) and heard all the usual arguments for and against religion. You seem like a decent chap and our opinions and world views are obviously very different - five years in the Middle East has hardened my view. Ever had people being killed at the bottom of your road in the name of the stuff you discuss with bored teenagers? :winking:

How is this stuff taught these days in England - do you teach any of it as fact?

I very much doubt the two of you (and me) will ever be convinced to take the opposing sides in the great debate. However there can be no denying that the Catholic Church with such an extremely conservative outlook is causing far more damage to the world than if it was dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

The theories I've read on why Ratzinger quit is so he can have an influence on the next Pope and maintain this archaic and damaging credo that is keeping millions in absolute abject poverty.

Surely he'd have more influence if he just stayed Pope.

Once dead he couldn't select a new pope. This way he gets to handpick his successor. A younger pope with 30+ years in the tank could carry on this regression back to the dark ages.

Yeah, OK. Too much Dan Brown I think.

So explain why he's quit then? The first for over 600 years? Blaming it on poor health is an easy way out when JP II died at 85.

While not exactly liberal, JP II did try and rebuild bridges with other faiths. One of the first things Ratzinger did when he was elected was to outrage Muslims when, in a scholarly lecture at his old university in Regensburg, he used a quotation to the effect that the contributions made by Muhammad were "only evil and inhuman".

So explain why he's quit then? The first for over 600 years? Blaming it on poor health is an easy way out when JP II died at 85.

Why is it an easy way out. He's an old guy with established health issues and may well have other issues as well. Perhaps he's been diagnosed with dementia...

Why is it an easy way out. He's an old guy with established health issues and may well have other issues as well. Perhaps he's been diagnosed with dementia...

They elect old men. What did they expect?

Maybe because he wanted to chill on his batty and watch Jeremy Kyle during the day?

Homes Under the Hammer shurely :dim:

So you want arguments for the existence of God?

Thankfully I teach philosophy so where shall we start? Telelogical, cosmological, ontological, moral... Or would you like me to start with theodicies, religious experience? ;)

Could you just show us a picture ?

Would save a lot of time :smile:

Could you just show us a picture ?

Would save a lot of time :smile:

Tilson,_Steve.jpg

So popeye the pope is moving in with loads of nuns who are married to god,and who is old popeye suppose to be,his spokeperson on earth.
I make that clunge oclock clever old nazi.

Back