• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'll probably go to this. If I remember, I'll post on here from the game.

I'd say that with the exception of Gilbert and maybe Asante, yes, this seems to be an exhibition match.

Was hoping Comminges would stay as I think he has potential.

Ben fryer:

#Southend PS has urged lge scouts to watch their reserve game this pm as players he's released will be starting...
web • 03/05/2011 07:50

#Southend Evans, Comminges, Bouzid, Herd and Soares are among that reserve XI...
web • 03/05/2011 07:53

No surprise with any of them, none of them have been much cop. Luggy said he wants better players on the bench so this is a good move. Must mean the rest of the sqwuad is staying or been offered terms to stay at least.

Ben fryer:

#Southend PS has urged lge scouts to watch their reserve game this pm as players he's released will be starting...
web • 03/05/2011 07:50

#Southend Evans, Comminges, Bouzid, Herd and Soares are among that reserve XI...
web • 03/05/2011 07:53

He'd be better off advising Conference and other non-league managers.

He was 1 of the new batch of scholars, recently introduced to the home fans before a game

Morning chaps, going to pop down there in a bit, first ressie game of the year for me, is it still east stand ? and can we park in the car park or do we have to park outside?

FULL TIME - SOUTHEND UNITED 2, STEVENAGE 0 A good, solid performance and an excellent result. After a shaky start, the Shrimpers controlled things pretty much the whole way through. A team effort, this, rather than dazzling individual displays. Well done lads, a great effort and a nice way to spend a Tuesday afternoon.

90th min - 3 minutes of injury time.

88th min - The Stevenage dug-out at last bursts into angry life. One coach with even less hair than me sounds like he's about to explode. Perhaps he will if it gets to 3-0. That's the more likely outcome, with the Shrimpers moving forward and gaininbg the odd corner.

85th min - The 'crowd', about 60, start to head off early - or at least some of them. The second half hasn't been easy on the eye but the endeavour and will to win can't be faulted. A bit of a panic in the Shrimpers back line almost led to a clear run for a Stevenage forward, but he mis-controlled it and the chance was gone.

82nd min - Inside the last 10 and the chat from the dug-out is that the boys, to quote, 'have put in a shift'. Bang on. Paradoxically, they've worked hard to keep things comfortable. Haven't created much but Stevenage have never looked remotely dangerous, in no small part to the tracking back and defending the Shrimpers have done. As I say that, a Southend shot goes fractionally over the bar.

76th min - Southend substitutions. Teddy Nesbitt is replaced by Lyle Della-Verde. There was another one a few minutes ago, too, but my mind was elsewhere, looking at a google image of Laura Kuenssburg. Strangely alluring.

74th min - Some more enterprising play from the Southend midfield, this time a quick cross goes into the area from the left hand bye-line but sadly it's too quick for everyone.

73rd min - Unfortunate bounce on the right left the Stevenage forward through on goal but Rhys Evans read the situation well and collected on the edge of the area. More interestingly, though, a large dark cloud of smoke comes up from behind the North Bank.

68th min - Lovely little run from Johnny Herd opened up a bit of space on the right hand edge of the Stevenage area but the defenders just about got back when the pass was delivered. Nice to watch though.

67th min - Shrimpers substitution. Alex Woddyard off, James Pinnock on (but don't quote me on that). Nasty little clash of heads a few minutes ago left the Stevenage centre half sprawled on the floor but he seems to be okay now.

64th min - Would love to tell you all about goalmouth action but, sadly, both teams appear to have run out of ideas. Southend are comfortable, Stevenage are labouring. The fourth official looks like Southampton boss Nigel Adkins. Nice little run from Kyle Asante a few minutes ago but led to nothing.

58th min - I was right to cast doubt about the scorers. Debate is going on around me about who got both goals now. Must admit I have the attention span of a goldfish with Alzheimers so I gave the scorer's name as the one who celebrated the most. Best check the official website - they're no fun but at least are accurate.

56th min - A Stevenage corner on the right. Strong header comes in but is comfortably saved. Hurrah!

55th min - By the way, that last update was almost entirely fictitious. Anyone who knows me realises I chat to nobody at half time breaks due to being a committed grump. A part of it, however, was true. Just leave you to decide which ... Meanwhile, not much going on pitchside, Southend keeping their compusure.

50th min - Nothing much going on but had a convivial little chat with an East Thurrock United official at the break. The Rocks, of course, romped home with the Ryman One North title. Very coy on who he was looking at but I do know Shrimpers scouts have been looking at one of their players, someone who already turned down Conference club Eastbourne Borough.

1.59pm - KICK OFF!

1.55pm - Someone's told me the second goal scorer was Louis Soares but I'd check the official site for that. I am dubious that there might be two attempts on target from him during the course of a game.

HALF TIME - SOUTHEND UNITED 2, STEVENAGE 0 A very satisfactory first half for the very youthful reserves. Bit of a dodgy start but after that it's really been Southend in the ascendency. Time for a pint and a pi .... e

45th min - Brilliant tun on the right from Kyle Asante and from inside the area his shot goes centimetres past the far post.

43rd minute - A Southend shot, wide on the left, flashes across goal. I didn't see who was shotting as my mind was taken up with how filthy the Frank Walton Stand clock is looking. Surely someone with a head for heights and a j-cloth is knocking around the club somewhere?

40th min - It seems as if, reading back, only a few players are contributing to the scoreline but that isn't the case. Andrew Furlonge is doing well, after the first uncertain few minutes, Kyle Asante's doing fine, Johnny Herd is looking to switch play when he can, and so on. It's much more of a team effort than relying on someone producing something

33rd min - SOUTHEND UNITED 2, Stevenage 0 Direct from the corner comes a header inside the six yard box. Unstoppable. Unmissable. No idea who scored but, as Barry Davies once said, frankly who cares?

32nd min - Nice work from Manel Commingues on the right. Corner and...

29th min - In the home dug-out Paul Sturrock appears to be talking to someone from a Robert Palmer tribute act. Perhaps Peter Mannion MP is making a bid for the club? 15p is the rumoured price. Or a packet of Oinks.

25th min - Stevenage back into it. A shot on the right inside the area is well saved and nothing comes from the corner.

23rd min - Squeaky bottom time for Rhys Evans. A long, aimless punt, bread and butter to collect, even with an oncoming forward, but he grabs at it 2 or 3 times before a shot goes in on goal. He runs back goalwards and gets there in time.

22nd min - A couple of corners for the Shrimpers, one of which, a short one, causes panic in the Stevenage area, and an on-target Adam Bouzid shot bounces off a defender and agonisingly over the bar.

18th min - Stevenage free kick which ends in a shot going wide. Meanwhile two mongs a couple of rows in front of me keep looking back to see what I'm doing. I guess they're logged onto SZ from their smart-arm phones or I'm attracting the pink pound.

13th min - SOUTHEND UNITED 1, Stevenage 0 Get in there my son! A long-ish ball down the right, LOUIS SOARES is onto it, and he tucks into the left hand corner of the North Bank net from 15 yards.

11th min - Oh yes. Adam Bouzid this time with a mazy little run and his cross had Stevenage scrambling the ball clear of the six yard box. Good stuff.

10th min - That's better. Good work down the right ends with Louis Soares crossing into the box, between keeper and defender. Nobody there though, and slightly overhit, but signs of settling.

7th min - My, the back four seem all at sea at the moment, running into each and almost giving Boro another free run at goal. The Shrimpers bench are somewhat less than gruntled.

5th min - Still the visitors attack, and Rhys Evans is forced to make a point-blank save after the back four just stood and watched

4th min - Oof! That was close. Out wide on the right, about 20 yards from the bye-line, a specualtive Stevenage shot cannons of the crossbar.

12.59pm - KICK OFF!

--------------------

Hello, good afternoon, and welcome, as Sir David Al Jazeera might say, to Roots Hall for this afternoon's unexciting clash. Not a cloud in the sky but a wee bit nippy. The crowd is already approaching double figures, such is the excitement, with Paul Sturrock resplendent in black t-shirt with gold thingy across the chest.

Instead of multiple posts, I'll simply be editing this one as the excitement happens.

Here's the team (if you couldn't be bothered to click on the link):

Rhys Evans, Manuel Commingues, Anthony Furlonge, Peter Gilbert, Teddy Nesbitt, Alex Woodyard, Adam Bouzid, Johnny Herd, Louis Soares, George Smith, Kyle Asante.

Subs: Daniel Bentley, Jamie Stevens, Lyle Della-Verde, James Pinnock, Ken McNasty, Scott Truepint, Alan Sugar.

Last edited:
Any interesting observers?.........Wenger? Ferguson? Redknapp?................well, there surely must be Paul Jewell.......NO?..........not even Steve Tilson?......now who manages Great Wakering? The excitement is getting too much for me............downstairs to work......will come up later to see how the match progressed and by the way........................thanks very much for the live text of the match!

Back