• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Reserves - Southend United v Traktor Ipswich

Thorpe Groyney

Open your mind
Losing 1-0 in the 3rd minute. Oops

Team

Southend: Ian Joyce, John Owinja, Johnny Herd, Davis Abbey, Callum Whittaker, Duran Reynolds, Justin Hazell, Stuart O'Keefe, Craig Calver, Rhys Henry and Jamie Forshaw.
Subs: Merrick James-Lewis, Clark Masters, Michael Ngoo, Jamie Stevenson and Adetayo Osifuwa.

11th minute and 0-2. Ipswich just too quick, accurate and alert for us so far, danger coming from both flanks - and the middle. Only a fine save by Ian Joyce from a 10 yard volley stopped it from being worse. This could be a long afternoon for our young reserves.

The comeback's on though - it's now 1-2.

Unfortunately I didn't see it as I'm tapping away working while I look up and watch. The bloke behind me said "Well taken though" and by the look of where the players were it was probably a low shot from about 18 yards.

I could get a job on Talksport with accuracy of reporting like this.

Hardly surprising, that looks an incredibly weak reserve line-up. Before this season none of them had played league football, and if it wasn't for injuries/suspensions/cup-tied/loanees etc none of them would have played this season either.

Spoke too soon. 1-3 after 23 minutes. Corner on the right, their number 5 completely unmarked at the far post, his shot was awful which went across the face of goal, but another unmarked attacker slotted home from about a yard.

Another Ipswich goal on the stroke of half time. Cross from the left evades all, comes back in on the right on the edge of the area, free header at near post.

HALF TIME - SOUTHEND UNITED 1-4 IPSWICH TOWN

Peach of a Southend goal in the 48th minute. Rhys Henry through with a one-on-one, keeper comes out, he beautifully lobs the keepr whilst running round him, and slots the ball into an empty net.

2-4 and probably the best bit of skill at Roots Hall all season.

You can't complain at the lack of goals or entertainment. Defensive lapse on the Southend right, centred, spare man slots home. 2-5 in the 56th minute.

Ian Joyce has also made a stunning save - all to no avail though. Corner in the 58th minute on the left was completely undefended, unmarked Ipswich player slots home at the far post from six yards.

2-6 at the moment.

Still the action doesn't stop.

In the 69th minute Southend hit on the break on the right hand side, Justin Hazell centres it and Rhys Henry shoots home unmarked from 8 yards.

Ipswich then surge forward and a shot is cleared off the line.

3-6 - and the fan is breathless.

How the hell can we have let in 7 at home? I knew we should never have let Colin West go.

Ron Martin bangs on about a new stadium but were not going to have a team to play in it if results continue like this......

The team had no experience and it showed. Calver was extremely disappointing and while Henry played well so did Herd but every time Johnny got the ball there were no options at all for him to pass to. Joyce made some silly mistakes, the Southend right back was awful and Duran Reynolds was awful too, Whittaker, Henry and Herd impressed the most while Hazell played well but was tired inthe second half and Ed Upson set up Ipswichs first with a great pass and he played well but faded late on. Forshaw also pulled a muscle, hamstring I think, in injury time. Ricky Duncan obviously favours the youth team players and the side today needed much more experience today. Herds goal was fantastic: 25 yards into the top corner and the other 2 were well set up, often by pressurizing the Ipswich defence

Last edited:
Upson bossed things completely for Ipswich, was very impressed with him. Johnny Herd got our first, peach of a goal, well worked and well taken, Rhys Henry got both the others. Disappointing really as Calver, O'Keefe and Forshaw all worked very hard. Didn't understand why no subs apart from Ngoo on for Hazell (who'd looked ok as well).

So where were all the senior players this afternoon,at home watching the tele?.
Sankofa warmed the bench all weekend and Freedman and Laurent played a few minutes to no effect on friday - why didn't all three play this afternoon rather than leave it to a bunch of teenagers to represent the club in a reserve fixture.
Anyone seen Walker recently?. Another one like Freedman who will be fit on 4th May as soon as the season ends.
Sort it out Tilson!!.

Back