• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

retro shirt v. Norwich

Sorry if this topic has been raised before but does anyone know if the retro Blue n White striped shirt the boys will be wearing in Saturdays game v Norwich will be available on general sale in the club shop ?? I think it could be a big seller if they decide to do so . What do you think ??

Bugger.

sad.gif

I'd have bought one

Will the team still be wearing the kit, or has that been scrapped as well?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ July 21 2005,22:49)]and it was plain blue if anything - not stripes
I think the shirt would have been Oxford blue with a white collar and a white strip running down from the collar.

Would have been really nice.

For those who don't know about why the 50s retro shirts won't be available, check out this statement from the club: the suppliers couldn't meet the time constraint!! For an anniversary!!

To me, this is the most ridiculous statement EVER to have come out of the club. Think about it; it's a FIFTIETH anniversary. It's set in stone. It's FIFTY years after the first game at Roots Hall. It's not movable. It's not a surprise date that rushes up out of the darkness and whacks you over the head with a small piece of wood and then disappears giggling into the darkness. IT'S AN ANNIVERSARY!!

How the club can have the balls to come out and claim that the supplier couldn't meet the time constraint is unbelievable. What it does reveal is that someone at the club had the idea about the retro shirts but did nothing about it until it was far too late ... and then blames the suppliers. What utter b******s!

Should we be surprised though? The club has been telling we'd be in a new stadium "very soon" -- in 2002, 2004, 2006 (oooh! another anniversary! Someone tell the club quick because they obviously don't understand the concept!!) but nothing has come from it.

WS

mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ July 22 2005,08:16)]For those who don't know about why the 50s retro shirts won't be available, check out this statement from the club: the suppliers couldn't meet the time constraint!! For an anniversary!!

To me, this is the most ridiculous statement EVER to have come out of the club. Think about it; it's a FIFTIETH anniversary. It's set in stone. It's FIFTY years after the first game at Roots Hall. It's not movable. It's not a surprise date that rushes up out of the darkness and whacks you over the head with a small piece of wood and then disappears giggling into the darkness. IT'S AN ANNIVERSARY!!

How the club can have the balls to come out and claim that the supplier couldn't meet the time constraint is unbelievable. What it does reveal is that someone at the club had the idea about the retro shirts but did nothing about it until it was far too late ... and then blames the suppliers. What utter b******s!

Should we be surprised though? The club has been telling we'd be in a new stadium "very soon" -- in 2002, 2004, 2006 (oooh! another anniversary! Someone tell the club quick because they obviously don't understand the concept!!) but nothing has come from it.

WS

mad.gif
What annoyed me was the way the club announced it would happen, yet we weren't told it was off until I raised the question.

I was really looking forward to getting this shirt because the club officially announced it. For them not to say anything about abandoning the idea, and coming up with the above excuse was a PR screw up in the least.

I also pointed out that, whilst it may be too late for the shirt to be ready for the Norwich game, it could still be ready for the Xmas period. What a gift that would make. -- Yet that point was met with silence.

This is the 50th anniversary of us playing at Roots Hall and a great opportunity seems to have been missed and we have been treated very poorly as a consequence.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ July 22 2005,08:21)]What annoyed me was the way the club announced it would happen, yet we weren't told it was off until I raised the question.

I was really looking forward to getting this shirt because the club officially announced it. For them not to say anything about abandoning the idea, and coming up with the above excuse was a PR screw up in the least.
No matter how improved people say the club has become in terms of dealing with the fans, this just takes us back to the days when we were all treated with contempt. I'm sure the Commercial Department realised what a $%&* UP they had made with these retro shirts and hoped that we would all be good little children and forget about them. Luckily people like yourself have highlighted how INCOMPETENT the marketing at Southend United has become over the past couple of years.

I think one only had to walk into the club shop over that period of time to realise just how pathetic it has become -- and during one of our most successful periods ON the pitch for years!! And blaming it on suppliers has become BORING!! If it appears that suppliers are consistently letting down the club (especially with regular season shirts) then CANCEL the contract and find someone else who can produce them. However I suspect that the supplier excuse is simply covering out something far more serious at the club.

They seem to be good at putting on "shows" at the ground yet the fans who come week in-week out (and probably wouldn't turn up for these "shows" anyway) are being taken for idiots ... again ...

WS

mad.gif

I think the commercial department realised that they wouldn't sell enough of these shirts to make it worthwhile and didn't bother. I can't say I blame them.

Perhaps the club have realized through previous experience that not everyone is compelled to own each and every piece of apparel emblazoned with the club badge.

I think we should put this episode behind us and try to rebuild our shattered lives as best we can.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Squirrel and G man @ July 22 2005,09:40)]I think the commercial department realised that they wouldn't sell enough of these shirts to make it worthwhile and didn't bother. I can't say I blame them.

Perhaps the club have realized through previous experience that not everyone is compelled to own each and every piece of apparel emblazoned with the club badge.

I think we should put this episode behind us and try to rebuild our shattered lives as best we can.
I think the retro shirt would have sold well... but its just a matter of opinion I guess.

I know it's been announced on here, but has anyone seen anything regarding it on the official site? I've looked at the articles I thought might mention it but can't see anything...

So to celebrate 50 years at Roots Hall all we're going to get at the match is a commemorative programme? Wow.

Surely more should be made of this. Will any of the players who took part in the original game be present? Would have been a nice touch, surely, especially as only 5 of them from the Southend side are still with us...

I would have been surprised if we had sold enough shirts to make it worthwhile. However, these posts highlight the general feeling of the very poor service we have been getting of late with the club shop & merchandise - most clubs were releasing their new shirts two weeks after the season ended, we don't even know what colour ours will be. I guess we'll be told that things will improve with the new shop - but I don't see how that helps with suppliers. Have the Club come out with a recent statement on this, with a set of actions as to how they are addressing it? If not, its about time they did.

Some slight over-reactions here possibly...

rock.gif

Personally, I go for the football. So long as they are getting that right then I'm happy.

Agreed, of course the football is the most important thing! Its just frustrating that the Club seems to be getting so many things right, but something so relatively simple as merchandising seems to be lacking. And its hardly something new, the same thing re: kits, stock etc. has been happening for the last few years.

Back