• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Glad someone else saw that, interesting.

Phil Brown has selected a youth team player in every squad of his nearly 200 games.
I can think of four off the top of my head - Dan Bentley, Ted Smith, Jack Payne, Jack Bridge.
Any others?

Glad someone else saw that, interesting.

Phil Brown has selected a youth team player in every squad of his nearly 200 games.
I can think of four off the top of my head - Dan Bentley, Ted Smith, Jack Payne, Jack Bridge.
Any others?

I remember watching Ryan Auger play shockingly at Newport away.

I enjoyed this article.

But as good as it is to say his selected a youth player in the last two hundred games [lets exclude Bentley and Payne, I think it's fair to say they were established first team players] others that have been on the team sheet haven't clocked much times on the pitch. When you consider the form we're in, at 3-0 vs Coventry, or 3-0 vs Wimbledon, give Matsuzaka, JORDAN Williams, Bridge, Bedford 10 minutes. This is the perfect time for them when confidence is high...

Had to knitpick, Brown out! Only joking. :smile:

I enjoyed this article.

But as good as it is to say his selected a youth player in the last two hundred games [lets exclude Bentley and Payne, I think it's fair to say they were established first team players] others that have been on the team sheet haven't clocked much times on the pitch. When you consider the form we're in, at 3-0 vs Coventry, or 3-0 vs Wimbledon, give Matsuzaka, JORDAN Williams, Bridge, Bedford 10 minutes. This is the perfect time for them when confidence is high...

Had to knitpick, Brown out! Only joking. :smile:

Bentley and Payne only became established first team players because Big Phil put them in the team, they weren't that when he arrived.
Defo agree about giving more kids the chance, but maybe they need to be ready before getting in the team. maybe throwing them in for no good would hurt more than help.
I've noticed in the last two games that Big Phil has been reluctant to make any changes at all and does nothing before 80 minutes (if he starts putting strikers on the wing he'll become full Tilson)

the last two games Ted Smith has looked at least as good as Oxley so well worth staying with him, that's another. Many other teams would of got someone like The Other Smith out of retirement to sit on the bench but we've got Bexon, yet another youth teamer

Last edited:
Sounds as though Ricky Duncan has done an amazing job over time. There certainly seems like a lot more of our youth players are involved in the first team squad than ever other time I can remember in the past.

Excellent article about academy, which despite being the best bit about our club, most fans don't know what goes on. More of the same please CP.

Those of you who were happy to slag after the defeat v Orient in the FA Youth cup without even being at the game, should definitely read this.

Back