• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ricky hatton returns

Not sure how to take this, because the Mayweather and Pac Man fights showed that Hatton just doesn't have the discipline to take it to the next level, so Hatton will more than likely face a lesser opponent in order to finish on a high.

Hatton was a very very good fighter, but not quite a great one, the losses to mayweather and pac man showed this, just wondering what is the point of hatton fighting again? unless it was to slap amir khan about

Hatton was a very very good fighter, but not quite a great one, the losses to mayweather and pac man showed this, just wondering what is the point of hatton fighting again? unless it was to slap amir khan about

M O N E Y

I'll be there.

M O N E Y

I'll be there.

Hatton has never been a greedy man. He's very humble. Definitly not money related, more the fact he is hungry for it again, and wants to do it for the fans.
Obviously i'm not naieve, and know the money-side is a nice little encouragement, but it's not the driving factor.

He said on SSN it will probably be around the summer time, leading me to believe it will be an outside arena, either Wembley, Eastlands or the Mill Stad (which he's hinted about before)

Opponents - Tim Bradley or Juan Manuel Marquez.

Oh and i'll def be there...

Hatton has never been a greedy man. He's very humble. Definitly not money related, more the fact he is hungry for it again, and wants to do it for the fans.
Obviously i'm not naieve, and know the money-side is a nice little encouragement, but it's not the driving factor.

He said on SSN it will probably be around the summer time, leading me to believe it will be an outside arena, either Wembley, Eastlands or the Mill Stad (which he's hinted about before)

Opponents - Tim Bradley or Juan Manuel Marquez.

Oh and i'll def be there...

It is 100% money related. He has nothing left to fight for... He had his shot at the big boys, and he got laid on his arse and embarassed. twice. I love Hatton to bits, but the fact of the matter is he's a washed up fighter now looking for one last pay day.

He should have called it a day after his last fight to be honest.

I imagine it will be at the City of Manchester stadium in the summer with him winning to retire into the sunshine with a bucket load of cash.

He should have called it a day after his last fight to be honest.

I imagine it will be at the City of Manchester stadium in the summer with him winning to retire into the sunshine with a bucket load of cash.

Yep, it's a money making move and I don't blame him

He's got between £40m and £50m in the bank. He doesn't need the money. He makes enough money from his promotion company, clothing line and after dinner speaking events. As i said, he's a humble guy that has lived in a semi-detached house in Manchester for years. Money is obviously a factor, but IMO is not the reason for his imminent return.

He's a proud fighter, that doesn't want to go out on a loss, as he's stated many times in the past. From his brief interview on SSN he says how dissapointed he was with the preperation for the Pacman fight and everyone knows how he feels he was cheated by Joe Cortez in the Mayweather fight. You can tell, HE feels he still has something to offer at the top level. There is no doubt, if he wins this fight, he will not retire, he'll look to try and get a shot against one of the big names. He's stated many times how badly he wants a rematch with Mayweather. Who knows?

So - who do we think will be in the picture? Tim Bradley? Wants to make an impact. A massive fight for both guys. Bradley wants to break into that elite level, so challenging the Hitman would/could be a massive stepping stone in the right direction.

Otherwise JMM? This rumour has been flying around for the best part of 2 months. Marquez wants it, and he said he's willing to come to England for it.

Also, didn't really want to start a new thread for it, but what about the possibiliy of Ricky's younger brother Matthew taking on Mayweather in Manchester this year. Possibly on the same card as Hatton's return? Would be immense.

Also, didn't really want to start a new thread for it, but what about the possibiliy of Ricky's younger brother Matthew taking on Mayweather in Manchester this year. Possibly on the same card as Hatton's return? Would be immense.

His brother has already been told that he is not on the shortlist to fight mayweather, which in my opinion is great as he is not fit to even spar with mayweather let alone fight for a title..

It's a completely irrational thing for him to be trying a comeback, but for a top class sportsman - or in Hatton's case, someone who was merely a very good one - it is a completely rational thing.

To get to where he did in boxing you have got to have that self-belief and that competitiveness. He'll still have days where he believes that he can beat anyone, when he thinks that he has still got what it takes. There will still be days where he has that competitive streak, that hunger, that desire.

But I think if he comebacks there will also be days when he asks himself what the hell he is doing, days when that fire is diminished and when he doubts himself. I think he is making a huge mistake, but it is easier said than done to switch off from that incredible self-belief and competitiveness that all successful sportsmen must have to get them there in the first place.

He's a proud fighter, that doesn't want to go out on a loss, as he's stated many times in the past. From his brief interview on SSN he says how dissapointed he was with the preperation for the Pacman fight and everyone knows how he feels he was cheated by Joe Cortez in the Mayweather fight.

From what I heard, He has nobody to blame but himself for the Pacquiao preparation. Apparently, while sparring if Hatton left himself open Mayweather Snr. would give him a smack as that was exactly the type of flaw that Roach would identify and exploit. Hatton didn't like it and "politely informed" (read: Mouthed off) and lashed out at Mayweather for doing so.

What happened? Hatton rushed in like an idiot, left himself wide open and Pac Man laid him on his arse inside a minute. Roach even said so himself in the post-fight interview that it was Hatton's biggest flaw.

As for Cortez, he's always been a pedantic referee and if Hatton thought he could walk into the biggest fight of his career with that one game plan then he was sadly deluded.

I've said previously and Hatton remains my favourite British fighter of my lifetime, I've watched him right from when he first broke through, but I'm afraid he just got found out when he reached the big time.

From what I heard, He has nobody to blame but himself for the Pacquiao preparation. Apparently, while sparring if Hatton left himself open Mayweather Snr. would give him a smack as that was exactly the type of flaw that Roach would identify and exploit. Hatton didn't like it and "politely informed" (read: Mouthed off) and lashed out at Mayweather for doing so.

What happened? Hatton rushed in like an idiot, left himself wide open and Pac Man laid him on his arse inside a minute. Roach even said so himself in the post-fight interview that it was Hatton's biggest flaw.

As for Cortez, he's always been a pedantic referee and if Hatton thought he could walk into the biggest fight of his career with that one game plan then he was sadly deluded.

I've said previously and Hatton remains my favourite British fighter of my lifetime, I've watched him right from when he first broke through, but I'm afraid he just got found out when he reached the big time.

The training camp was a shambles apparently. Mayweather was often late, he worked Hatton too hard, and IMO was more interested than resurrecting his own career than helping Hatton's.

I agree the 'one gameplan' against a fighter like Mayweather could be descibed as a bit crazy, but then again, at the time, Hatton WAS one of the best in the world, and he'd made a great reputation from being a brawler who smothers his opponents. You could argue, why change that gameplan?

I still think he can put on a show, but he's mind has to be right. There's no point in him getting back in the ring if it isn't. If he feels he can still do the business, then we'll have to wait and see what he can still do.

His brother has already been told that he is not on the shortlist to fight mayweather, which in my opinion is great as he is not fit to even spar with mayweather let alone fight for a title..

How come? It was only 2 weeks ago he was TOP of the shortlist?

How come? It was only 2 weeks ago he was TOP of the shortlist?

according to The Sun. I didn't hear it from anywhere else. Matthew Hatton is a decent fighter, but he is nowhere near Mayweather's level. As ESB says, he isn't even fit to spar with him.

Maybe it was spouted around by the Hatton camp in preparation for big brothers come back.....ie to keep the Hatton brand on every top fighters radar.
For what its worth i think Ricky Hatton only wants to beat a high profile boxer so he can retire whithout those 2 horendous beatings being at the for-front of every fans minds.

Back