• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RIP Phil Chisnall

Really sad to learn of his passing. Knew he had been in poor health for a few years. Like a fair few on here, remember him as an integral part of a team who were great to watch. Sheer class, one of the best players to pull on a blue shirt in the last sixty years. R.I.P Phil.

I remember a Mon night game v Chesterfield in 69 or 70 (?) when Phil scored a stunning equaliser near the end, to give us a 2-2 draw.
The North Bank were chanting his name, when leaving the ground.
I believe Southend were 0-2 and came back for a draw , as you say Phil scored a very late equaliser , both goals in The North Bank end , great memories .

Very sad news indeed but what great memories he has left for those of us that were lucky enough to witness his skills. We very occasionally see Tim Dieng play a defence splitting pass these days but Phil Chisnall would play several of those in every match, a real joy to watch. RIP Phil and thank you for being a Shrimper.

One of my favourite players from that era. Sheer class and much too good for division 4. I know it was a different time, but the present day players can't compare.

Phil Chisnall was a great player for Southend until Eddie Clayton arrived from Spurs. Those two players never really clicked together in the same team. Both were gifted players but somehow it did not work with them both in the team. It looked like Chisnall's career was going to revive after the arrival of Arthur Rowley but Rowley decided in his first full season with the club Chisnall was surplus to requirements.

Chisnall's passing ability and vision was truly astonishing. Although I was a very young lad at the time, I have never forgotten Chisnall's remarkable performance in a pulsating Friday night home game against Swansea in which Southend won 1-0 shortly after Chisnall joined the club in 1967. Chisnall's pinpoint passing repeatedly sliced open the Swansea defence that night but a combination of brilliant goalkeeping and poor finishing kept the score down to a respectable level.

In retrospect, such a talented player was wasted for the most part in the hurly burly environment of lower league football. But Phil Chisnall provided some really memorable moments at the club during his stay. RIP Phil.

http://wmpickford.blogspot.com/2007/07/phil-chisnall-ive-become-answer-to-quiz.html

I think that this is a really good read about Phil - it may have been posted on here before. A lot of his own thoughts and shows the stark difference between football 50 to 60 years ago and today.

Phil stood just 5ft 7in _ his brain and feet did the football talking not his bulk and brawn. My early recollections of him were having to adjust to 4th Division footballers as he soon realised that they weren’t going to be running into the space where he was going to play the ball.

His knees we’re probably going well before he left us to go back up North to Stockport.

Football was a game to me," Chisnall says. "I played for fun and was given a few quid for it. It's a bit more intense today. We had no agents, apart from my wife, mind you, she used to take 80 per cent, not just ten!"

One of the few truly talented footballers to have played for us.
RIP Phil.

Phil Chisnall was a great player for Southend until Eddie Clayton arrived from Spurs. Those two players never really clicked together in the same team. Both were gifted players but somehow it did not work with them both in the team. It looked like Chisnall's career was going to revive after the arrival of Arthur Rowley but Rowley decided in his first full season with the club Chisnall was surplus to requirements.

Chisnall's passing ability and vision was truly astonishing. Although I was a very young lad at the time, I have never forgotten Chisnall's remarkable performance in a pulsating Friday night home game against Swansea in which Southend won 1-0 shortly after Chisnall joined the club in 1967. Chisnall's pinpoint passing repeatedly sliced open the Swansea defence that night but a combination of brilliant goalkeeping and poor finishing kept the score down to a respectable level.

In retrospect, such a talented player was wasted for the most part in the hurly burly environment of lower league football. But Phil Chisnall provided some really memorable moments at the club during his stay. RIP Phil.

That match against Swansea was one of the best ever seen at the Hall.

Thank you so much Phil for joining our little club and giving us all so much pleasure.

We all remember you with gratitude and fondness.

RIP

That match against Swansea was one of the best ever seen at the Hall.

Thank you so much Phil for joining our little club and giving us all so much pleasure.

We all remember you with gratitude and fondness.

RIP

Mentioning that Swansea game brought back memories , I agree with you, that was a superb game and a great advert for lower division football at the time.

Mentioning that Swansea game brought back memories , I agree with you, that was a superb game and a great advert for lower division football at the time.
Yes, one of the best games ever, Chisnall was superb in that match and if I remember correctly Ivor Allchurch was playing for Swansea. If only it had been captured on cameracwould love to see that game again.

Yes, one of the best games ever, Chisnall was superb in that match and if I remember correctly Ivor Allchurch was playing for Swansea. If only it had been captured on cameracwould love to see that game again.

The star of the show for Swansea was their keeper Dilwyn John. I think he had to deal with more “shots on target” that evening that we have managed all season so far this year.

Beaten by an Andy Smillie header I remember.

The star of the show for Swansea was their keeper Dilwyn John. I think he had to deal with more “shots on target” that evening that we have managed all season so far this year.

Beaten by an Andy Smillie header I remember.

Spot on.

Andy is at his cafe at the Arches today if anyone wants to discuss it with him............

Does anyone know who wrote the excellent article about Phil in Saturday’s programme?

Brilliant, thanks.
It was written by my good friend Dave Bishop who has done most of the features regarding supporters (including me in the Exeter City prog) and players this season. Last weeks feature on Phil replaced his former team mate Billy Best which will feature in a future edition.

As Dave said, I have written the “In the Spotlight” articles in the programme this year and it has been a pleasure to be able to put these together.

I am really glad that you liked the article Mfurok and thank you for your kind words. Phil is a true Southend all time great and I am happy to know that you think my “appreciation of his career” (far better than terming it as an obituary) did him justice.

Thank you again ?

Back