• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Surely west ham 3rd not daggers :hilarious:

No ! No ! NO ! it's silly but it makes me angry (only a little bit) when fans say West ham are rivals. The teams that are your rivals must be(in my opinion) reasonably local and within 1 division. We can not be rivals with a prem team. That is rival envy.
Brentford think their rivals are Fulham QPR and Chelsea. That is clearly ridiculous.

Gills instead of Dagenham maybe but not west ham. Notice gillingham nor dagenham have us as rivals.

No ! No ! NO ! it's silly but it makes me angry (only a little bit) when fans say West ham are rivals. The teams that are your rivals must be(in my opinion) reasonably local and within 1 division. We can not be rivals with a prem team. That is rival envy.
Brentford think their rivals are Fulham QPR and Chelsea. That is clearly ridiculous.

Gills instead of Dagenham maybe but not west ham. Notice gillingham nor dagenham have us as rivals.

Ok everyone is entitled to there opionion i respect your comment but doesnt envy and hatred count as the same

Last edited:

I don't think anyone sets a criteria for who your rivals are, that is all down to historical run ins between fans/clubs and geographical locations. I don't see a difference in divisional placings being a reason to have someone as a rival over someone else.

I can quite understand Brentford thinking Fulham, QPR and Chelsea are their rivals, it's who they will work against in their community in the same way we have to work against West Ham.

The title yes - promotion no, we finished as runners up.

Also, that's a little harsh on Cambridge, Bellotti dived into the post without any help from a Cambridge player. Spud went in goal, (we were 1-0 up at the time) and both Cambridge goals came from our defence not trusting Spud.

PS 17,059 for a home league match in Div 4.... Happy days.

as i said irrational ;)

I don't think anyone sets a criteria for who your rivals are, that is all down to historical run ins between fans/clubs and geographical locations. I don't see a difference in divisional placings being a reason to have someone as a rival over someone else.

I can quite understand Brentford thinking Fulham, QPR and Chelsea are their rivals, it's who they will work against in their community in the same way we have to work against West Ham.

I couldnt agree anymore

The title yes - promotion no, we finished as runners up.

Also, that's a little harsh on Cambridge, Bellotti dived into the post without any help from a Cambridge player. Spud went in goal, (we were 1-0 up at the time) and both Cambridge goals came from our defence not trusting Spud.

PS 17,059 for a home league match in Div 4.... Happy days.

Ok, can we hate them for Jay Smith then? :witch Hunt:

NO! NO! NO! It makes angry when fans don't realise that our true rivals are W*** H**.

They are the team we are competing against. This has nothing to do with envy and everything to do with fighting for survival. We've never had an Orient or Col Ewe club shop in Southend High Street. I'd never even met a Colchester fan until I was 27 years old whereas I grew up as a Southend fan as a minority in my own home town because we were outnumbered by W*** H** scum.

In the 90s we played W*** H** more often than Col Ewe and were three divisions above Col Ewe, yet no-one disputes that Col Ewe is a legitimate rivalry when W*** H** is actually closer than Colchester. I've meant plenty of Orient fans who are decent proper football people and actually go to games but W*** H** fans are nearly to a man all *****.

It's all about protecting Southend as a Southend supporting town and not the "we won the world cup... academy of football.... Ronnie and Reggie always looked after their mother.... up the Irons" bunch of *****.

**** off and die W*** H**.

I agree that rivalry and dislike is a different thing. I like Colchester; I admire how well they do with a limited budget.
I will always want to beat them and finish higher than them. But we have to get in the same league first. And while we are not, I sort of wish them well. It is Essex after all. I still rate them our biggest rivals. Part of the reason being in terms of achievement’s we are very closely matched

NO! NO! NO! It makes angry when fans don't realise that our true rivals are W*** H**.

They are the team we are competing against. This has nothing to do with envy and everything to do with fighting for survival. We've never had an Orient or Col Ewe club shop in Southend High Street. I'd never even met a Colchester fan until I was 27 years old whereas I grew up as a Southend fan as a minority in my own home town because we were outnumbered by W*** H** scum.

In the 90s we played W*** H** more often than Col Ewe and were three divisions above Col Ewe, yet no-one disputes that Col Ewe is a legitimate rivalry when W*** H** is actually closer than Colchester. I've meant plenty of Orient fans who are decent proper football people and actually go to games but W*** H** fans are nearly to a man all *****.

It's all about protecting Southend as a Southend supporting town and not the "we won the world cup... academy of football.... Ronnie and Reggie always looked after their mother.... up the Irons" bunch of *****. **** off and die W*** H**.

I hear you Yb. But rivalries like football don't stand still. I think if a small town club starts saying we are rivals with a prem team it gives them more satisfaction. They can scoff and say we cannot rival them, simply because we are not really on their radar. For the same reason no one says Canvey are rivals or Thurrock or Grays. We think they are too far down the pecking order. Yet are nearer to rivals than West Ham. Get over the 90's YB its 2013 and be realistic. West Ham have moved the shop and it is now a charity shop. (I made that bit up)

I'll get over the 90s if you can tell me that Southend isn't still swarming with W*** H** scum.

I agree that rivalry and dislike is a different thing. I like Colchester; I admire how well they do with a limited budget.
I will always want to beat them and finish higher than them. But we have to get in the same league first. And while we are not, I sort of wish them well. It is Essex after all. I still rate them our biggest rivals. Part of the reason being in terms of achievement’s we are very closely matched

Yeah, must be very difficult to be banked rolled by a rich chairman .... :unsure:

It's all about protecting Southend as a Southend supporting town and not the "we won the world cup... academy of football.... Ronnie and Reggie always looked after their mother.... up the Irons" bunch of *****.

**** off and die W*** H**.

A man after my own heart.

Southend isn't swarming with W*** H** scum.

Do you walk around with your eyes closed? I can assure you that they are probably the best supported club locally....there are plenty of people walking around in their shirts or coats and I see plenty of kids with packed lunch boxes that reflect that choice too.

Col U
Wet Sham
Birmingham

everyone else

I don't mind Orient - at least they support their local club. Daggers? Pleeease. I feel sorry for them not hatred.

Do you walk around with your eyes closed? I can assure you that they are probably the best supported club locally....there are plenty of people walking around in their shirts or coats and I see plenty of kids with packed lunch boxes that reflect that choice too.

Kids with lunch boxes? They sound like real scum.
Will be around town today . Will try to keep my eyes open and see how many I spot.

And that stupid f****ng BUBBLES song! every time I hear it I want to punch someone!

Back