• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Robins bid for Blues' target

jackspratt

Youth Team
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/theblues/4375976.Robins_bid_for_Blues__target/

SWINDON Town have tabled an offer for Southend United transfer target Theo Robinson.
The speedy striker impressed while on loan at the Shrimpers from Watford during the second half of last season.
But it is the Robins who have moved first in the race to land the 20-year-old on a permanent basis.
“Swindon have been alerted to Theo’s availability and are keen to bring him to the club for next season,” a source close to the County Ground outfit confirmed to the Echo.
“They were impressed by him during his spell with Southend and an offer has been made. Now they are waiting to see what happens and if it is accepted.”
It is understood that Watford will allow Robinson to leave if they receive the right offer but, although they are keen to bring him back to Roots Hall, Blues have yet to make a firm bid.
Robinson, who also spent time on loan at Hereford United before coming to Shrimpers, where he scored seven times in 21 games, has already made public his desire to be playing first team football next term and refused to rule out a move back to Southend when asked last week.
Manager Steve Tilson is also known to want Robinson in his attack next season.
But it remains to be seen if the Shrimpers — who spent just £10,000 on players during the previous campaign — can match the asking price which has so far remained undisclosed, and then also agree personal terms with the player.
Swindon’s involvement has also added extra uncertainty to Robinson’s future at Roots Hall, especially as the Robins’ finances could well be boosted by the departure of top goalscorer Simon Cox with Bolton Wanderers believed to be among those interested.

For some reason that doesn't surprise me in the least.

Not happy about it though, get your act in gear SUFC.

Am I the only one who wouldnt be that bothered if we didn't sign Theo? I thought he did brilliantly during his loan spell and was a big factor in our rise up the league.

However due to his exceptional pace we tended to lump the ball forward for him to run onto and became a lot more direct than we've become accustomed to during Tilly and Brush's reign.

I certainly wont be disappointed if he signs but I would say sorting out the midfield and central defence are far more important than signing a striker we could arguably survive without.

I'd like to have him here but I won't be heartbroken if he doesn't come to us.

Mixed feeling. He is better than most that we have so if we could off load say two from four of Revell, Walker, Freedman and Laurent I would be happy to have him.

That said I didnt think he was that amazing but one in three is a pretty special ratio. Depends largely on the asking price I think.

A striker who stays fit and scores consistently. I dont see anyone else in our ranks who fits that bill. Sign him up, would be gutted. Yes we played long ball but for gods sake we won games!!

Wouldn't be heartbroken if he didn't sign but in all honesty if Walker can fulfil his full potential I don't think Theo is any better.

I actually think Walker is faster than Theo.

Am I the only one who wouldnt be that bothered if we didn't sign Theo? I thought he did brilliantly during his loan spell and was a big factor in our rise up the league.

However due to his exceptional pace we tended to lump the ball forward for him to run onto and became a lot more direct than we've become accustomed to during Tilly and Brush's reign.

I certainly wont be disappointed if he signs but I would say sorting out the midfield and central defence are far more important than signing a striker we could arguably survive without.

Survive? Yes. Prosper? I'm not so sure. If we are going to make a decent go of getting out of this division (upwards) we will need better and, importantly, fitter forwards than we have on the books at the moment.

*surely* we can compete with swindon in the transfer stakes....

I think we should be trying to sign him, he scored goals end of!

At least this proves he is available to sign!!
I am sure that we wouild try to sign him, what team would not want a 1 in 3 goal scorer amongst their ranks

Can Swindon not think of any of there own transfer targets. Last season they wanted Mulgrew, now Theo. Bunch of carrot crunchers.

Having recently become an avid viewer of the History channel I think we should send out some mis-intelligence similar to the tactics employed by the allied forces during the second world war.

Ron Martin could pretned to get drunk at the next chairmans conference and let word out infront of Swindons Chaiman (Peter Tractor) that were trying to re-sign professional Johan Drewe Broughton for a six figure sum.

Swindon would of course follow suit and before they know it they have signed the sweatbanded, silver boot wearing donkey - This would confirm them to certain relegation and leave only three more spots for us to worry about.

Why do the club never think of this?

Last edited:
Please don't let it be Mulgrew all over again.... I know we lost out on Mulgrew because he wanted to be closer to home but if we had of acted faster and paid the monies they were asking for maybe we would of kept him. I think Robinson is a cracking player and him and Barney formed a leathal partnership and if we can keep Barney fit would definatly be a force that would scare defenders next season.

TILLY AND BRUSH PLEASE DON'T LOSE THIS ONE! ESPECIALLY TO SWINDON!!!!!

The thing is, that the club including Tilly, Brush and Martin all have said that they are interested in signing him. So, why once the season was over did they not go out hell for leather and get the guy. Probably looking at 200k. I like him as a player and at 20, has many years to progress and improve. Would be a great acquisition with his pace alone so can understand peoples frustration. Problem is that Southend never disclose any info so we may be close to signing him anyway....who knows?

Oh come on. We should be able to p*ss all over Swindon's bid. Theo should be the number one target. I know we need some defensive players- (Clarke leaving). But Theo is on the cards now. So spend the money RM and get him.

He knows our setup, team and management. No need for him to bed in and find his feet. An assett straight from the start. He could be the difference.

Now all we need to Dorian to become available!!!

I'm assuming Cox will be on his way, so we probably can't.

Well from the way Swindon fans have been going on they want more than £1.5 Million for him and he only has a year left on his contract. They recon they can get another Million for him because Crewe got £2.5m for Maynard but I am pretty sure he didn't have a year left on his contract and we all know that has a massive factor because its all we got for Eastwood with a year left.

We HAVE to sign Robinson, its a simple as that really.

He managed to stay fit during his entire loan spell and weighed in with a 1 in 3 goal ratio which is decent at any level of football. Him and Barney linked well together in stages and looked like developing a decent understanding.

Robinson has something that our other forwards, bar Walker, don't have and that is pace. By being quick you can get away with a lot. You don't have to have a good touch, or a great footballing brain, but Robinson is developing nicely and IF his avaliable to sign then RM has to get the cheque book out and bring him in.

Back