• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

* ORM *

Still Loves Emma Bunton. Roy McDonough is God!
Flying the flag for SUFC in Sai Kung, Hong Kong
We totally dominated the first half and should have had at least a goal to show for our efforts. I can remember only one clear chance Rochdale created blasted over the bar from about 12 yards out. For all the pressure we had we didn't really manage one meaningful effort on target despite a succession of corners.

We started off the same way in the second half until a bizarre 5 minutes completely changed the game. Connie unleashed a shot from no-where which went like a rocket but any competent keeper would have had saved. The goal was DEFINITELY over the line. I was sitting as far left as was possible and there were no ifs, buts or maybes about it. But the funniest thing was that the linesman that gave the goal was 40 yards away from play when the shot was struck and only flagged for the goal after their keeper had run 6 yards with the ball in his hands.

On the plus side all the protests of the Rochdale players didn't change the referee's mind. However the referee spent the next five minutes working out how to get Rochdale back in the game and EVERY decision went their way until the penalty decision. I'd like to see the highlights again because even if the ball did hit hand (which I doubt) I'm sure most referees wouldn't have given it. Justice was almost done, unlucky Darryl.

The momentum of the game changed after their equaliser and although we did look the more composed Rochdale came into the game a lot more. Both sides carved out chances over the rest of the match and Conny had one effort just over the bar and Darryl made another good close range save.

Was 1-1 a fair result - probably not - but on the whole not a bad day out and performance. We need the killer instinct and desperately need a sniffer up front. We'd have walked away with the game with a Richard Cadette in yesterdays team.

Comments about some of the players.

Jupp - gave the ball away far too cheaply too many times in the second half and could have cost us the game- not good enough and I'm convinced we can find better.
Hunt - cool, classy and composed at the back, possible MOM
Bramble - OK I give in at last - not good enough - welcome to the non-league
Dudfield - Hopefully he's not 100% fit, another average performance
Maher/Bentley - dominated proceedings in the first half. Both worked their socks off in the second half. Bentley is getting stronger with each match and has a lot of on the ball skill for a big man
Husbands - BYE BYE

Cheers. Certainly seemed boring on the radio. Judging by what the commentators were saying, Jupp provided some good crosses... then - as you said - almost lost us the game with a ****-up or two at the other end.

Sounded like Bentley faded away mid-second half.

Cheers ORM.

On the Dudfield thing, I reckon you're probably right. A virus that takes weeks of complete rest to get over would be a very serious one and must have been nasty. To come out the other side and play pro football is a tough task so I dont think we'll see him back to his best till next year.

A goal against Torquay would be nice though
smile.gif

Spiff

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ May 02 2004,09:21)]Bramble - OK I give in at last - not good enough - welcome to the non-league
Congratulations on finally seeing the light, Tone ...

WS

smile.gif

Mike,

I've always been one for giving the benefit of the doubt if I believe the talent lies buried somewhere underneath. I was exactly the same with Belgrave. In Belgrave's case he had the right attitude but in the end he (just) didn't cut the mustard.

In Tes's case he has the ability but appears to have lost all self-belief and motivation. He has now had more than enough chances and it is clear he isn't going to make it happen at SUFC. A crying shame if you ask me because if he sorted his head out he is a 10-15 goal a year player.

Unlike a lot of other forwards we've had in the last few seasons if he goes elsewhere I, for one, would not abuse him next time he appeared at RH.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ May 02 2004,12:07)]I've always been one for giving the benefit of the doubt if I believe the talent lies buried somewhere underneath. I was exactly the same with Belgrave. In Belgrave's case he had the right attitude but in the end he (just) didn't cut the mustard.
Beg to differ in this case, Tony.

Belgrave had a horrific attitude. One of his last games for the club — the Essex Senior Cup semi-final against Chelmsford City — was one of the most disgraceful performances from any player I had ever seen pull on a Southend United shirt. It doesn't matter whether it's a first-team game, reserve team game, or a kick-about in training. If one doesn't apply oneself at least 100% then one should re-think one's career. As it is, his move to Farnborough simply confirmed what a disagraceful attitude this bloke had ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ May 02 2004,12:58)]Belgrave had a horrific attitude. ...............,. As it is, his move to Farnborough simply confirmed what a disagraceful attitude this bloke had ...

WS
...and remember when he run down the tunnel and refused to play shoot for the car when a fan, one of his supporters and wage payers, asked him to play?

Saw the highlights on Soccer Sunday today. Leon's goal was an instinctive strike, and a woeful goalkeeping effort. If one can call it an effort.

The penalty looked harsh, didn't even see it hit a hand. Plus it was only an attempted cross so was doubly harsh. Great save by Flavs, but a solid rebound got them the draw.

Oh well

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ May 02 2004,12:58)]Belgrave had a horrific attitude. One of his last games for the club — the Essex Senior Cup semi-final against Chelmsford City — was one of the most disgraceful performances from any player I had ever seen pull on a Southend United shirt. It doesn't matter whether it's a first-team game, reserve team game, or a kick-about in training. If one doesn't apply oneself at least 100% then one should re-think one's career. As it is, his move to Farnborough simply confirmed what a disagraceful attitude this bloke had ...

WS
Sorry Mike. Can only say it as I saw it and didn't go to this match. Happy to stand corrected.

I heard a rumour that Bramble could potentially be one of the best centre backs in this division but refuses to play in this role as he see's himself as an out an out attacker.

Anybody know anything about this.............................

I'm gutted about Bramble because at the beginning of the season I was a total believer but now, well, I fear the door beckons!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Surrey Shrimper @ May 02 2004,20:08)]I heard a rumour that Bramble could potentially be one of the best centre backs in this division but refuses to play in this role as he see's himself as an out an out attacker.

Anybody know anything about this.............................

I'm gutted about Bramble because at the beginning of the season I was a total believer but now, well, I fear the door beckons!
Maybe the brothers are confused then, because Titus is far from being anything like a decent defender - let alone Premiership class!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ May 02 2004,09:21)]Jupp - gave the ball away far too cheaply too many times in the second half and could have cost us the game- not good enough and I'm convinced we can find better.
I'm glad others are starting to realise!

We keep on talking about Tes' potential, but how old is he now? There's only so many more chance we can continue to give him.
I'm still in the pro-Jupp camp though.

I think the writing is on the wall for Tes' Southend career. If he doesn't move on in the summer I can't see him playing too much next season. Tilly doesn't seem to particularly rate him and IMHO Tes is the type of player who needs a manager to believe in him - I'd have loved to have seen what Webby could have got out of him if Webb had hung around for longer 4th time around.

I still think there is a quality player waiting to emerge when the conditions are right. We've seen what Tes can do in spells, but he's been unable to turn 2 or 3 months of top form into an outstanding season. I don't think the continual turnover of management and playing staff and the odd distraction off the pitch have helped him, so its particularly bad timing that he seems on his way out just as we look set to become a more settled club.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ May 02 2004,12:07)]Unlike a lot of other forwards we've had in the last few seasons if he goes elsewhere I, for one, would not abuse him next time he appeared at RH.
Same here. I've always been a big tes fan, but at the end of the day he seems stuck in a rut with us right now and if he does move on this summer (and despite his recent form I do think that there will be no shortage of takers if we aren't asking for a fee) then I'll certaily wish him all the best for the future.

Back