• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Roman Polanski ......let it be or drag it up??

Aberdeen Shrimper

The Man who sold the world
It was 30+ years ago that the 77 year old film Director slept with a 13 year old, but now faces extradition to the US to face the charges.

Question is, should it be left to rest considering the girl in question wants it put to bed, so to speak. Or should it be investigated to its conclusion?

He committed a crime and therefore should face prosecution. Just because he's in the public eye doesn't mean he should be treated any differently from Joe public.

He committed a crime and therefore should face prosecution. Just because he's in the public eye doesn't mean he should be treated any differently from Joe public.

Looking at a pic of the then 13 year old, GOING ON 20...............if he fooked up not knowing she was 13, would that make a difference?

Doesn't it come down to her pressing charges. No idea how it all works, but it seems strange that they want to extradite if she has said she wants to leave it.

Looking at a pic of the then 13 year old, GOING ON 20...............if he fooked up not knowing she was 13, would that make a difference?

Ignorance is not an excuse! Would any of us be so forgiving if a 43yr old man slept with our 13 yr old daughter?

Doesn't it come down to her pressing charges. No idea how it all works, but it seems strange that they want to extradite if she has said she wants to leave it.

Exactly what me and Senga said to each other on hearing the story.

Not under US law no I don't think so. It would I believe come under Federal law statutes and the prosecution would have been brought under state legislature. Quite different from UK law which would indeed require charges to have been pressed by the victim.

Exactly what me and Senga said to each other on hearing the story.

Not under US law no I don't think so. It would I believe come under Federal law statutes and the prosecution would have been brought under state legislature. Quite different from UK law which would indeed require charges to have been pressed by the victim.

Not if she wasn't an adult at the time of the offence. 13 year's old can't choose whether or not to prosecute. The guy is accused of being a predatory paedophile, has chosen to live outwith US jurisdiction to avoid prosecution, and should absolutely answer to the charges.

It's worth adding that this wasn't simply a Rix-esque moment of madness on his part - he plied the girl with champagne and tranquilizers with pretty clear intent. That he only faced the one charge of sex with a minor was a result of a plea bargain.

Considering how difficult it generally is to provide proof beyond reasonable doubt of these kind of offences I think it would be remiss of a justice system not to act in a case where it appears perfectly feasible.

Very interesting article on the LA Times on line site today. Should add a bit of confusion to the debate (Sorry, don't know how to post a link)

If you consider justice as consequentialism: what is right is what has the best consequences - then jailing Polanski would achieve nothing, but lost tax dollars and bad PR.

The same goes for the Polanski case, which is full of echoes of "Les Misérables," the classic Victor Hugo novel about Jean Valjean, an ex-con trying to turn his life around who is being obsessively tracked and hunted down by the Parisian police inspector Javert.

a) Les Mis: Fiction, stole a loaf of bread to survive. Didn't drug and rape a 13yr old girl at a Hollywood party. Slight difference

I think Polanski has already paid a horrible, soul-wrenching price for the infamy surrounding his actions. The real tragedy is that he will always, till his death, be snubbed and stalked and confronted by people who think the price he has already paid isn't enough.

b) Paid what price? Lived in luxury, directing films protected by sycophants?

For shame Patrick Goldstein. Thankfully it wasn't your daugher.

In my mind, what he did was unforgiveable and being a male of the species, cannot even begin to comprehend what that poor child (for that is what she was) went through.
However, the wishes of that girl must be paramount in this case.
She has pubicly stated that she wants to let it go, so I doubt if a case can go ahead without her testimony.
What good would it serve to force her to relive that nightmare she was put through?

I wonder if his ancient plea bargain is enough for this case to be settled without a new testimony by the girl?

The same goes for the Polanski case, which is full of echoes of "Les Misérables," the classic Victor Hugo novel about Jean Valjean, an ex-con trying to turn his life around who is being obsessively tracked and hunted down by the Parisian police inspector Javert.

a) Les Mis: Fiction, stole a loaf of bread to survive. Didn't drug and rape a 13yr old girl at a Hollywood party. Slight difference

I think Polanski has already paid a horrible, soul-wrenching price for the infamy surrounding his actions. The real tragedy is that he will always, till his death, be snubbed and stalked and confronted by people who think the price he has already paid isn't enough.

b) Paid what price? Lived in luxury, directing films protected by sycophants?

For shame Patrick Goldstein. Thankfully it wasn't your daugher.

Couldn't agree more.

If you consider justice as consequentialism: what is right is what has the best consequences - then jailing Polanski would achieve nothing, but lost tax dollars and bad PR.

Except send a message to other men in positions of power that the abuse of that power for sexual gratification with children is something that isn't and shouldn't be tolerated. Owen Oyston anyone? Should he have been let off?

He is a grade A charlie by all accounts - string him up.

He has evaded justice by running away. The fact its 30 years on makes no difference. I those supporting him would be as keen for him to be let of if he was a war criminal or a serial killer?

Last edited:
Back