• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RON: CANCEL THE REST OF THE SEASON

I think live football games will be a while away, even if some of the other restrictions are lifted. I’ll be amazed if any live games happen before August.

She said it is likely to be potentially 6 months until some kind of normality and that it will be reviewed in periods like 3 weeks to see what tweaks they will make to manage the pace of spread. Not sure what the paid comment means or what you actually expect her to know.
She's paid to be an expert.
Please tell me what's expert about suggesting anything from three weeks (a review) to six months?
I could do that for free, lol!
I couldn't then and even more so now, see the point of calling a press conference to offer that pearl.

Please tell me what's expert about suggesting anything from three weeks (a review) to six months?
I couldn't then and even more so now, see the point of calling a press conference to offer that pearl.

so what would your reaction have been if she said three weeks and it ended up being six months?

the problem with experts is that they are just people and we are in a situation that no person has any experience of so putting a timeline on something this is something that can only be done by looking at the figures and even they are an indication of past performance rather than what is likely to happen.

sometimes the most expert thing to say is that you just don't know, that way you're at least demonstrating competence, even if it's not what people don't want to hear

so what would your reaction have been if she said three weeks and it ended up being six months?

the problem with experts is that they are just people and we are in a situation that no person has any experience of so putting a timeline on something this is something that can only be done by looking at the figures and even they are an indication of past performance rather than what is likely to happen.

sometimes the most expert thing to say is that you just don't know, that way you're at least demonstrating competence, even if it's not what people don't want to hear
I agree!
Therefore, offering any flexible timeline is stating the bleedin' obvious, so the 'six months' comment is welcome fodder for the media, but in essence could mean nothing.

She is as an expert and I claim to being ITK on this as last year she was part of my team.

She’s hugely respected in the Public Health community and you don’t become DCMO without a hell of a lot of expertise.

For you to suggest she shouldn’t be paid because she doesn’t tell people exactly when we will be back to normal when the pandemic is different to anything seen before and so much of its spread depends on the actions of the public, who events are showing can act like ****s despite advice means predictions will almost certainly be wrong. Based on some of the crap you have been posting on here I suspect you will be the first to criticise when they are.

She is as an expert and I claim to being ITK on this as last year she was part of my team.

She’s hugely respected in the Public Health community and you don’t become DCMO without a hell of a lot of expertise.

For you to suggest she shouldn’t be paid because she doesn’t tell people exactly when we will be back to normal when the pandemic is different to anything seen before and so much of its spread depends on the actions of the public, who events are showing can act like ****s despite advice means predictions will almost certainly be wrong. Based on some of the crap you have been posting on here I suspect you will be the first to criticise when they are.
Oh dear, touched a nerve I think.
First things first, I never doubted her expertise. Read back.
I said she was being paid for offering a timeline Joe Public could have offered. Again, read back.
'Predictions will almost certainly be wrong', my point then is why offer them?
As your blood rose, that last sentence got its fair spread of prepositions, but if you're saying predictions from 'experts' are likely to face scrutiny, are you surprised, especially loose and wayward ones like these?

I said she was being paid for offering a timeline Joe Public could have offered. Again, read back.
As your blood rose, that last sentence got its fair spread of prepositions, but if you're saying predictions from 'experts' are likely to face scrutiny, are you surprised, especially loose and wayward ones like these?
Not touched a nerve, you just questioned the competence of a former colleague of mine who I defended. I would suggest saying she hasn’t got a clue! is questioning her expertise (read back) despite your view that you didn’t.

I’m not saying expert opinions shouldn’t face scrutiny I’m saying that if she came up with a more definitive one, when it was wrong based on the variables that exist, people would ask why did she made a prediction she knew would be wrong? Whereas if she said we can’t predict then people would want to hear from a proper expert.

Anyway am sure we won’t agree of this debate so I’ll exit the conversation and wish you good health in the current climate.

I don't have her contract in front of me but I imagine offering a timeline to Joe public is pretty far down the list of her job priorities, it's not what she's getting paid for.

Not touched a nerve, you just questioned the competence of a former colleague of mine who I defended. I would suggest saying she hasn’t got a clue! is questioning her expertise (read back) despite your view that you didn’t.

I’m not saying expert opinions shouldn’t face scrutiny I’m saying that if she came up with a more definitive one, when it was wrong based on the variables that exist, people would ask why did she made a prediction she knew would be wrong? Whereas if she said we can’t predict then people would want to hear from a proper expert.

Anyway am sure we won’t agree of this debate so I’ll exit the conversation and wish you good health in the current climate.
Got it in one!
People would want an expert prediction; otherwise, shut up. When I said she hadn't got a clue: she hasn't insofar as how her statement is viewed.
Whoever briefed her to say that also hasn't got a clue, and I'm not the only one who believes it.

Then shut up, and leave it to someone else. It's not that complicated.
'Someone else' wouldn't be able to give more of a precise timeline than she has, if they did then they'd be guessing which is far more dangerous. Statistics isn't magic, you need data to make predictions and this is unprecedented so there is no data.

'Someone else' wouldn't be able to give more of a precise timeline than she has, if they did then they'd be guessing which is far more dangerous. Statistics isn't magic, you need data to make predictions and this is unprecedented so there is no data.
Correct! So don't make predictions. I can't see why she wouldn't say: 'It's too early to make predictions: we're still evaluating the data, and will offer something more concrete when we have it'.
That, as a press officer, is what I would have advised.

Its very difficult to be an expert on a completely new virus that evolved just a couple of months ago.

Its very difficult to be an expert on a completely new virus that evolved just a couple of months ago.
Then shut up; say nothing. Don't offer pointless, untested time frames seized on by a rampant media.
I could have written the press release she was meant to say in my sleep.
In fact, I did #136 if you scroll up.

The EFL should look to tap into a FIFA fund set up to assist those leagues and clubs struggling financially due to the coronavirus crisis, according to Tranmere chairman and former Football Association chief executive Mark Palios.

More...

Actually, looking at her full quote, she hasn't a clue! What a pointless claim; reviews every three weeks, and then a look at the figures.
And she gets paid!

Good grief. Experts aren’t soothsayers! What the hell do you expect from these people? She gave an honest, nuanced answer that calibrated the potential for lifting restrictions between elements of society returning to normal and some folks (such as the elderly and those with underlying medical conditions) likely taking longer, potentially 3-6 months. This is in an environment where there is a brand new super contagious killer disease on the loose worldwide, next to no immunity in the population, no vaccine and no cure. What the hell do you expect for her wages?! She and her colleagues are doing a bloody amazing job in unbelievably challenging circumstances!

Back