• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Ron delivers statement Re: HMRC

As mere supporters I don't really think we're "entitled" to know anything at all.

It's good PR to keep supporters informed, but the success of the club is almost entirely dependent upon what happens on the pitch.

I have no idea whether or not RM is a 100% genuine person. I've never met or spoken to him.

He does, in my opinion, tell far more than he should. Lots of people will not fully understand the finer points and workings of the company and for them it is wasted.

Some will seek to read between the lines of whatever he says and make issues of what he doesn't say.

Some just won't believe him, will send an aggressively worded question and then wonder why he doesn't/won't answer.

The ones who appreciate it are probably converts anyway.

In any event, I'd rather have someone like him who at least does divulge the ins and outs rather than a Chairman who just gives the fans the mushroom treatment.

But he'd do well to remember the saying "Never explain; your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe you anyway."

The latest communique from the club is short and to the point but is probably missing a few words at the end, something like "Now f*** off and stop worrying you bunch of doommongers".

It's what he didn't say there that for me spoke volumes.

As mere supporters I don't really think we're "entitled" to know anything at all.

It's good PR to keep supporters informed, but the success of the club is almost entirely dependent upon what happens on the pitch.

I think that with most businesses, your opinion is true. However, a football club is not a normal business in the sense that it is part of the community. If the football club was in trouble, people would want to know so that they could try and do something to save it (I'm talking hypothetically here). Also, what happens on the pitch is highly dependent on the supporters as they provide the main revenue stream with which the club will buy players etc. I think it pays both commercially and morally to keep the supporters on side.

I'll start feeling a lot more comfortable when

a) we make some decent signings - not just names that fill a gap in the squad and take us no further than last year
b) See some positive moves at Fossetts
c) learn that we have settled with HMRC
d) Get to Christmas with no more creditors popping out of the woodwork

So that's me. A miserable git for the season :p

I think that with most businesses, your opinion is true. However, a football club is not a normal business in the sense that it is part of the community. If the football club was in trouble, people would want to know so that they could try and do something to save it (I'm talking hypothetically here). Also, what happens on the pitch is highly dependent on the supporters as they provide the main revenue stream with which the club will buy players etc. I think it pays both commercially and morally to keep the supporters on side.

Totally agree with you and that is precisely my point. But that's not the same as being entitled.

I'll start feeling a lot more comfortable when

a) we make some decent signings - not just names that fill a gap in the squad and take us no further than last year
b) See some positive moves at Fossetts
c) learn that we have settled with HMRC
d) Get to Christmas with no more creditors popping out of the woodwork

So that's me. A miserable git for the season :p

can't wait to see you at half-time this season then!

this is good news, the alternative didnt bear considering! although i havent a clue about the financial day to day at SUFC, im sure the debt will get paid, it did last time didnt it, 660000k last july? i dont remember there being this much fuss last year, it's an interesting concept running a business that permanently makes a loss.

Ill be happy when we move to Fossets, Pay all our bills 25 years in advance, sign 11 defenders 3 minutes after the final whistle goes for the last game of the season, Ron personally talks me through the accounts in front of his bank manager and also confirms the fixture list for the next 12 seasons and we discover oil at Roots hall... then and only then may I be happy for a minute or two..

Back