• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron Pountney-1975-85

shaneyshrimper

First XI
No he's not dead!!!!

I have never met a more genuine bloke in my entire life. He played for the blues for 10 years and is now a painter and decorator (doing my house up). Loves the game still and misses it like hell. Goes to every home game and has played with and against some of the legends of football.

I think a lot of prem players could never appreciated the game the way Ron still does. They could also learn a lesson in how to be a top bloke from him.

Last edited:
Thought he'd died then for a moment! Don't do that!

Agree though, top bloke, part of one of my favourite teams - dodgy hair though!

'One Ronnie Pountney...'

I have never met a more genuine bloke in my entire life. He played for the blues for 10 years and is now a painter and decorator (doing my house up). Loves the game still and misses it like hell. Goes to every home game and has played with and against some of the legends of football.

I think a lot of prem players could never appreciated the game the way Ron still does. They could also learn a lesson in how to be a top bloke from him.

Once saw Ron playing tennis with Keith Mercer in Eastwood Park, close season of '82-'83; seemed to be a real down to earth bloke. Also remember seeing him down the High St. (outside Keddies- you young 'uns won't know where that is...) patiently giving a fan the time of day whilst his missis looked on. 'A whole hearted player' (as David Coleman once said of Asa Hartford) who rarely wasted the ball and who played in some excellent and dire sides in that decade, but always gave 100%- top man & player; wholeheartedly agree with Shaney- many a 'Prem player' could learn a lot from Ron...

I played alongside him about 5 years ago in the Borough Comb. Going by the ages he played for Southend I can only guess he was mid to late 40's by that time......was still full of energy and bloody tough though. Really down to Earth with it and dont suppose anyone else really would have known he was an ex pro.

He did my parents place a few years back. My mum, who has never seen Southend play, thought he was a very nice man too.

I was on Rons testimonial Commitee and I doubt whether you will ever see any pro footballer more grateful for a testimonial cheque. Not a massive amount unfortunately , but he was soo pleased just to be recognised.

I was very fortunate to see his scrap books too, as part of a fundraising at a meet the blues day, I did a large montage of pictures , press cuttings etc all copied from his scrap books. Brilliant !

Back