• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron's echo blog

Brilliant! Ron says we have agreed terms with a left back, left midfielder, two centre halves and a speedy forward and all will be unveiled at a press conference today at 5pm.

Only joking, he says investment isn't necessarily linked to success.

Its hard to know who to believe without hearing or knowing the 100% full facts, but each time I read Ron Martins posts - whether the blog or in the paper, I feel a lot happier.

Not happy that we havent gone and splashed the cash, but happy that he is a good man and that we are in safe hands.

If its true that we put an offer of £100,000 in for Robinson after initially valuing him at £50k and £70k - then that is absolutely fine with me.

At the end of the day, I think we've all agreed that Theo is not worth £250,000+ (at this time), so why have a go at Martin if we dont offer £300,000 to sign him? Most of us (I would think) value Theo at around 50-100k, so if that is what Tilly and Brush do to, why are people complaining?

Lets move onto another target who we actually value around £100k and can land.

I've been one of the biggest critics of Tilly and co over the last few seasons, but the picture being painted is clear - we havent got a mass amount of money, but if Tilly does want someone within a decent budget, then we can do our best to land them.

Would Tilly like unlimited funds and to pay over the top for players? Of course - look at Liverpool. £18m for Glenn Johnson is madness - a (albeit decent) rightback that will have little impact on the team really, but they paid over the top to get him. I wouldnt want us to get in that position for any player.

Its frustrating of course, but I am happy to sit tight and ok, we miss out on a few players that are being snapped up - there are HUNDREDS out there that are out of work/contracts/on frees etc and I trust Tilly's buying policy, he rarely lets us down - especially when he is picking up cheap/free players.

(someone dig this post up in November when I am calling for Tilly's head please)

I have no plans to walk away having made a commitment to supporters, the council and not to mention the club’s management and staff. However if Ted “the long suffering fan” has a lot of friends then there is a phrase worth remembering… careful what you wish for.

Nooooo.. :'(

blimey they make it sound like theres been a 24 hour ron out protest at roots hall! as far as i can tell even his detractors on here dont really want him to leave, it must hack him off, reaching in his pocket to pay debts and run a lossmaking venture, then get a load of burks complaining that he hasnt got an oil sheiks worth of shekels to blow on players!

Last edited:
Tilson are you being serious you rate theo at £50,000, however you rate revell at £150,000. We have all seen theo will score you goals and has a good fitness history he is well worth £200,000 good luck theo!! Theo would and was the best striker at the club whilst he was here....top stuff sufc management

Don't know whether it's new but the info on Robinson was interesting. Our valuation rose from £50K to £70K and ended up with a bid of £100K.............which I would have thought was about right and a good bit of business. Who knows, he may end up being worth the sum (Swindon) are prepared to pay..................but that's a risk, I can understand the club don't want to take, in these tight financial times.
Obviously the criticisms have caused pique with Ron.....................don't know whether any of these people post on here. He dealt with them pretty effectively......
........but of course, the strongst response and most effective way of silencing them would be, as you hinted, ............................................a couple of good signings!

Anyone else starting to wish we'd never got promotion to the CC? It seems to have cost us a fortune. 2m loss last year & the same predicted for this year! Its such a dangerous game financially, if you don't gamble you effectively accept relegation before the season even starts, but if you do gamble on big fee's & salaries & it doesn't work out you plunge the club into financial meltdown.

I'm personally starting to think promotion would be a bad thing if it happens before we're safely in the new stadium & are generating an income that can support the downs as well as the ups.

And FFS why do some people insist on having a go at Ron? Of course he's not perfect but he's by miles the best chairman we've had certainly in my 35 odd years of supporting the club, and if he did get fed up with the critisism & walked I really would fear for our survival. But hey I guess some people just have to bite the hand that feeds them.

Tilson are you being serious you rate theo at £50,000, however you rate revell at £150,000. We have all seen theo will score you goals and has a good fitness history he is well worth £200,000 good luck theo!! Theo would and was the best striker at the club whilst he was here....top stuff sufc management

Theo might score goals, but he is still relatively unproven. Do you want to have the whole 'jon stead at Blackburn' scenario? Looked fairly decent in his loan spell, then come the next season was pony.

I could agree if Theo had previously played at a decent level and bagged hatfulls of goals, it MIGHT be worth a £200k shot, but as he hasn't played many games as it is, he could just be a flash in the pan. Only time will tell.

Lastly, how is it the managements fault? Swindon wanted a quarter of a mil, for a KID who is NOT REALLY proven at this level.
I say fair play to the management for NOT paying over the top

Just as I wish Gordon Brown had found better things to do with his time than enquire after the health of Susan Boyle, I still think Ron shouldn't give airtime to people who either won't or can't understand what he's already told us. These people generally seem to be not that clever and to waste time in trying to turn them around seems fruitless. Focus on the endgame, determine the pathway there and don't deviate from it, Ron. If he was an author or musician and his latest release got some bad reviews would he spend time arguing about them or would he move on to making an even-better follow-up?

As for the Robinson case, we should all be grateful that our club doesn't have a policy of paying more for someone (or something) than they think it's worth.

does ron really expect people to be so happy when we havn't signed a player other than 1 or 2 at the most in over a year. when teams most lower down are getting players in all the time. most he should wake up.

Theo might score goals, but he is still relatively unproven. Do you want to have the whole 'jon stead at Blackburn' scenario? Looked fairly decent in his loan spell, then come the next season was pony.

I could agree if Theo had previously played at a decent level and bagged hatfulls of goals, it MIGHT be worth a £200k shot, but as he hasn't played many games as it is, he could just be a flash in the pan. Only time will tell.

Lastly, how is it the managements fault? Swindon wanted a quarter of a mil, for a KID who is NOT REALLY proven at this level.
I say fair play to the management for NOT paying over the top

Do you think that Revell is worth more than Theo?

does ron really expect people to be so happy when we havn't signed a player other than 1 or 2 at the most in over a year. when teams most lower down are getting players in all the time. most he should wake up.

What would make you happy, getting into the Championship again? Beating Col U and Orient home and away? Winning the league with the highest goal diff ever? A decent cup run?

I am happy enough to be mid table in div3 for a few years, build a new ground, and eventually try to be an established Championship team.

In the end, it all boils down to trust and belief.

Do you believe Ron has the clubs best interest at heart? (even if it is purely for financial reasons.)

Do you trust him to deliver what he has promised? (or at least die trying.)

Everybody should stop moaning and wait to see what happens. What is the alternative?

Do you think that Revell is worth more than Theo?

Not sure really. Firstly Theo is not £250k worth of player. We signed a certain Freddy Eastwood for a 5-figure sum. Theo is probably about £50k-£100k tops. What you're basically saying Is Rev's worth £150k. I like Revs and think he can be a very decent, effective player when played in a certain system. That's where he does show his worth.
Other times when he's played out of position or in a different role he looks worthless. Occasionally he does seem worth the price tag, others he doesn't.

Not sure really. Firstly Theo is not £250k worth of player. We signed a certain Freddy Eastwood for a 5-figure sum. Theo is probably about £50k-£100k tops. What you're basically saying Is Rev's worth £150k. I like Revs and think he can be a very decent, effective player when played in a certain system. That's where he does show his worth.
Other times when he's played out of position or in a different role he looks worthless. Occasionally he does seem worth the price tag, others he doesn't.

OK black and white for you.

Would you pay more for Revs than Theo, simple yes or no?

I totally agree with Tilly and brush's valuation, he is not yet proven. The thing to remember as well was that he was picked up by watford at a 3 day football event where all youngsters attend who have been released/no contracts offered. Scouts from across the country attend this and he was one of the lucky few to come back in to professional football.

OK black and white for you.

Would you pay more for Revs than Theo, simple yes or no?

Probably yes. But by that i don't mean hundreds of thousands. Like i said Theo is rated at about £50-100k. Revs is in and around that bracket aswell IMO.

Anyway, whats your point? Please don't start saying Theo is better than Revs FFS, as they are two very opposite players.

What does it matter?

It is a life or death situation, like most of the opinions on this site.

Do people really believe that Revs should be valued at a higher price than Theo? It looks like Tilson and Brush think that is the case, unless they saw something in Theo that they didn't quite like?

Theo is not my favourite player, but I can guess who most league 1 defenders would rather play against. Players like Revs are ten a penny! (well one a 150K)!

Back