• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

LCBB72

Manager ⭐
Hello,

My Son-in-Law is researching the history of music in Essex, and wonders if anyone remembers or has photographs of a concert which took place at Roots Hall in July 1971?

It featured Yes, Atomic Rooster and Mott The Hoople, amongst others. Do you know why it was held? Also, has the ground held any other music events over the years?

Many thanks.

Thin Lizzy played at Fickle Pickle ?!? (where the F was that ?)

Saw Doctor Feel-good in the shrimpers can't remember when but the place was absolutely banging probably the loudest gig I've ever been to

Saw Doctor Feel-good in the shrimpers can't remember when but the place was absolutely banging probably the loudest gig I've ever been to

I see part of Dr Feelgood at Roots Hall on a regular basis !

Thanks very much for your responses - two heads are always better than one. There must be a poster for the show about somewhere I'd imagine. Someone must have gone to it too.

Lots of bands and singers played at the Fickle Pickle I believe - including David Bowie, Status Quo and Fleetwood Mac. Did anyone go there and see them? It would be great if he can include some of your memories in the book about that.

How about the Track Side Club in Westcliff. I was told once that The Animals played there in the 60s.

@ Colchester and Proud - Where did you find that flyer? My Son-in-Law might like to get a copy he can use in his book.

Thanks very much for your responses - two heads are always better than one. There must be a poster for the show about somewhere I'd imagine. Someone must have gone to it too.

Lots of bands and singers played at the Fickle Pickle I believe - including David Bowie, Status Quo and Fleetwood Mac. Did anyone go there and see them? It would be great if he can include some of your memories in the book about that.

How about the Track Side Club in Westcliff. I was told once that The Animals played there in the 60s.

@ Colchester and Proud - Where did you find that flyer? My Son-in-Law might like to get a copy he can use in his book.

He might like these then.(1973)
kursfl6l.jpg

(1974)
kursfl2l.jpg

(1975)
kursfl4l.jpg

(1976)
blacks1l.jpg

Hope this helps him.

Last edited:
Copy and pasted for you.

The Kursaal Ballroom was the preeminent venue in Southend during the 1970's. First established in 1901, it had enjoyed a long musical history, being especially vibrant during the Swing / Big Band era, but it was in the Pre - Punk early / mid -'70's that it really made its mark, hosting many legendary shows. Everyone from AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy etc all played there. The gigs were often special double bills, such as the classic Mott The Hoople / Queen gig in 1973, or the Be Bop Deluxe / Doctors of Madness gig there in 1975. Key counter culture band Hawkwind regularly performed at The Kursaal, and even incorporated a date there as part of their legendary Space Ritual Tour.

Dr Feelgood's performance at The Kursaal would be immortalized when a German TV crew filmed the band live there at the peak of their powers, and this has subsequently been released on the 'Going Back Home' DVD. The band would also go on to record part of their legendary album 'Stupidity' at the venue too. Many classic Glam bands played The Kursaal also, such as The Sweet, Sparks & Cockney Rebel. The venues famous sprung dancefloor was very conducive to dancing at the gigs and has helped ensure its legendary reputation..

Thin Lizzy - Live at The Kursaal BallroomBands such as The Pink Fairies and The Sensational Alex Harvey band filled the void just prior to punk, and in 1976 the venue was chosen as one of the venues to host the infamous Anarchy Tour of late 1976, which was to feature The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Damned and Johnny Thunders and The Heartbreakers. Following the fallout post the Sex Pistols interview with Bill Grundy however, the Kursaal date was one of many that were cancelled by local councils, and the show never took place. In the immediate aftermath in early 1977, several other Punk shows were banned and / or cancelled, and it wasn't until April 1977 when John Cale + The Boys played at The Kursaal that New Wave groups really started to get any kind of foothold.

Can - Live at The Kursaal Ballroom - 26.03.77 - TicketAs 1977 unfolded, the more punk friendly Queens hotel embraced Punk and many key bands played there, although is is notable that the Radiators From Space played a classic show at The Kursaal on December 17th, 1977 (Supporting Thin Lizzy). Sadly, not long afterwards controversial plans were made to close the Kursaal Ballroom and its days as a leading live music venue were sadly over. Despite the best efforts of the Save The Kursaal Campaign, the whole complex finally closed its doors in 1986. Following years of dereliction, some restoration and subsequent redevelopment occurred, and in 1998 The Kursaal reopened and it is now a listed building. Presently, a small function suite on the site of the venue occasionally hosts live bands, but it is the classic rock era of the early 1970s, and that special time in 1974 + 1975 when the spirit of change was in the air that the Kursaal will be rightly celebrated for, as it really did host many, many legendary rock gigs. It truly engendered a sense of quality and of what was possible and it has certainly earned its place in history.

Hi it was on a Colchester based Facebook page if he wants a copy I could always check with the original poster of it but no doubt they found it on the internet as well.

Plenty of stuff like this available online The Quo in Southend 1970 at the Fickle Pickle Fickle Pickle.jpg

Bowie certainly played there according to this site http://www.southendpunk.com/html/soutpunk.htm

17.07.70 David Bowie (The Hype) The Cricketers Inn (Fickle Pickle Club)

Back