• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Why avoid it??

Don't see it as an issue

Because there often end up being scraps and I think last time some pubs decided to shut. This isn't a thread to start discussing politics, however if your plan is to head around Rotherham town centre then it might be deserted and you might want to make different plans (like head to Sheffield).

Just a heads up, I'm sure people will use their common sense and I'm sure it won't be a major problem.

Our train pulls in to Rotherham at 12:30. And was hoping to go for a few beers aswell. How certain are you the pubs are gonna be shut ?

Our train pulls in to Rotherham at 12:30. And was hoping to go for a few beers aswell. How certain are you the pubs are gonna be shut ?

Pubs being shut could be the least of your worries. They might have to change the date of the game!

"The Millers game on Saturday is going ahead as planned...
Rotherham United FC have received a number of phone calls this week regarding Saturday's fixture with Southend United.

The club would would like to respond to rumours circulating that the game might be postponed. This is not the case, the fixture WILL go ahead as planned with a 3pm kick off.

We look forward to seeing you at New York Stadium. "

Why are the EDL protesting in New York ?

I can understand Rotherham moving their ground there :smile:

There is a march and a counter demo.

What usually happens when the EDL march is.....

....the pubs near to the marches will be shut on police orders
.... access and exit to the march areas will be restricted by the police. So, if you do pop along to either rally, you will probably be kettled and you wont be allowed to leave until the rally is over. Even then, they will let one rally go before letting out of the other. So you wont get to see the game
.... the train station is usually an EDL meeting point, as such the UAF will target that for a counter demo
.... there is ALWAYS the potential for something nasty to happen, especially if the marches are bigger than anticipated

Not sure where their new ground is in comparison to the rally points, if its an out of towner then there will be no problems as far as the game is concerned, but you may find getting there will take a bit longer than usual as the police will check cars and coaches coming into town to make sure no one is armed up (seriously) and that rally goers end up at the right place (coz it gets messy if you go to the wrong one).

WHOSE STREETS???!!!!

.... access and exit to the march areas will be restricted by the police. So, if you do pop along to either rally, you will probably be kettled and you wont be allowed to leave until the rally is over. Even then, they will let one rally go before letting out of the other. So you wont get to see the game
.... the train station is usually an EDL meeting point, as such the UAF will target that for a counter demo
.... there is ALWAYS the potential for something nasty to happen, especially if the marches are bigger than anticipated

Not sure where their new ground is in comparison to the rally points, if its an out of towner then there will be no problems as far as the game is concerned, but you may find getting there will take a bit longer than usual as the police will check cars and coaches coming into town to make sure no one is armed up (seriously) and that rally goers end up at the right place (coz it gets messy if you go to the wrong one).

WHOSE STREETS???!!!!

Hmmm..... [tinhat]I am a long way from having any sympathy with the EDL but they have a right to demonstrate. The most peaceful and still democratic response would be to have their protest one weekend and the UAF protest the next. Then each gets to make their point without nearly as much cost in time money and inconvenience to those of us who just want to go about our lives. [/tinhat]

WHOSE STREETS???!!!!

Looking at google maps Rotherham central appears near the town center but you can walk across the river away from town to the get to the stadium. 0.7miles.

Hmmm..... [tinhat]I am a long way from having any sympathy with the EDL but they have a right to demonstrate. The most peaceful and still democratic response would be to have their protest one weekend and the UAF protest the next. Then each gets to make their point without nearly as much cost in time money and inconvenience to those of us who just want to go about our lives. [/tinhat]

Missing the point I think. Not going to do the politics thing in a football thread. The whole idea of a counter demo is do it at the same time as the other demo.

Peaceful isn't the EDL aim and their marches are pretty much always in town centers. The anti facsist response has also moved away from trying to get the EDL marches banned and is now confronting them head on (UAF and AFA have always had that policy but Hope Not Hate now take the same line). Anti facsists always outnumber the EDL at counter demos and are generally made up largely of people from the local community rather than EDL who are largely the same faces at every march - so whilst the response is a little unpredicatable, with EDL you know exactly what you are getting. It will get ugly.
I'm taking my eldest daughter, I spared her Plymouth as the journey was a bit too long and picked Rotherham as its nice and close to the station - whoops!

Recall that this lot (or their ilk) were marching when we went up to Bradford a couple of years back (when we won 2-0), game was on Fri night but we were staying up for the weekend and saw first hand on the Sat the massive police presence which easily outnumbered them but lots of sirens etc and cops in vans lurking in street corners.

We come in peace.

Hi, Rotherham fan here in peace.
I wouldn't worry about the EDL rally as they'll be a massive Police presence to deal with probably 150 demonstrators.
The ground is right at the side of the towns railway station & if you're coming from Sheffield you'll pass it just as the train is pulling up.
I hope you enjoy your visit (apart from the result of course). The stands are quite steep, but it does ebhance your view of the action. I would be interested to hear Shrimpers views of the ground after this weekends game.
We do sell alcohol in the away end, so if they do shut the pubs because of the demo, they'res always that option.
Most fans were angry about Evans' decision to release Ryan Cresswell this summer as he always puts in 100%, he's a good centre back & he's a Rotherham lad & a Millers fan. I'm really pleased that he's doing so well with you.
I hope you bring plenty of fans & you enjoy it. We're a friendly bunch!!

Back