• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Weather and pitch permitting, the man in charge tomorrow evening is Iain Williamson from Berkshire who is in his 8th season as a League referee. Played non-league for Walton & Hersham until injury forced him into refereeing. He did absolutely no games at all the season before last which would have been a relief to many after his one-man cardfest the season before when he topped the tables with 138 yellows from 30 games.

We have seen quite a lot of him, this being his twelth Southend match in charge. Nine of the previous eleven have been home games, the odd ones out being the dreadful performance at Burton last season (ours not his - although he wasn't great cautioning 4 of ours and 1 of theirs) and our early season defeat at QPR a few years ago. Coincidentally the Burton match came right after a period of heavy snow and the match was subject to a couple of pitch inspections; in the event, conditions were perfect - unlike our play.

Home games include a Drewe dismissal against Oxford, the Freddy Eastwood frivolous appeal match against Southampton in the League Cup, the 1-0 home defeat against Derby and more recently the Cup replay against Telford. His eleven matches have produced just 18 goals and a multitude of bookings and needless interuptions. His most recent home game was the 1-1 draw with Stockport last season, with just the 7 yellows shared fairly equally (well as equal as you can with an odd number).

However, for us his most memorable appearance at Roots Hall was just a few eventful years ago when, as 4th official, he held up the numbers board at our historic victory over Manchester United.

Last season his card count was at its customary high level, but something has happened this season and he is now no worse than average, although he is still attracting criticism for inconsistent performances. He has just 64 yellows and 2 reds from 21 games. He is a referee I would always much rather see on home games than away ones.

The two assistants will be regular visitors Dave Margetts from Harlow and Ashley Slaughter from Brighton. Fourth Official is Adam Crysell from Braintree.

The assessor will be better known than all the other officials, especially to Paolo di Canio. Paul Alcock will be leaving the Shopping Mall he manages in Maidstone early to run a watchful eye over Mr Williamson. Hope he can keep his feet in the car park.

Thanks as ever Mick. You mentioning that he played at a fairly good level got me to thinking as to how many refs on the list have actually played the game to a reasonable standard. The only ref that I recall who had played in the Football League was a bloke called Bob Matthewson, around late 60's early 70's IIRC.

While I realise that cricket and football are entirely different sports, why do former cricketers take up umpiring when footballers don't take up the whistle?

Thanks as ever Mick. You mentioning that he played at a fairly good level got me to thinking as to how many refs on the list have actually played the game to a reasonable standard. The only ref that I recall who had played in the Football League was a bloke called Bob Matthewson, around late 60's early 70's IIRC.

While I realise that cricket and football are entirely different sports, why do former cricketers take up umpiring when footballers don't take up the whistle?

Because if someone like Roy Keane or Patrick Viera became a ref then it would be bedlam. It would be like having a special guest referee in WWE wrestling. Great entertainment for a one off though. They should do it for a testimonial or friendly.

Mainly because there's no real fast-tracking available (unless your name is Attwell) and by the time most ex-players had worked their way up, they'd be getting near to retirement !

Alex Smith, our left back from yesteryear, did referee on Sunday mornings.

Mainly because there's no real fast-tracking available (unless your name is Attwell) and by the time most ex-players had worked their way up, they'd be getting near to retirement !

Alex Smith, our left back from yesteryear, did referee on Sunday mornings.

Thanks, and talking of cricketers former Essex captain & wicket keeper Brian Taylor used to ref on Sunday mornings.

Last edited:

I think cricket lends itself more to this for two reasons:

1. players often umpire when their team is batting
2. umpires don't have to run about and keep up with play

and our early season defeat at QPR a few years ago.

My abiding memory of that game is Williamson allowing one of their players (Jones?) to clatter Flavs for one of their goals. Very dubious challenge from what I recall.

My abiding memory of that game is Williamson allowing one of their players (Jones?) to clatter Flavs for one of their goals. Very dubious challenge from what I recall.

Don't think it was that bad; it was Jones. Flavs went off and Steve Collis kept a clean sheet second half. Not sure Flavs ever went for a cross after that !!

Far fewer cricketers are made for life when they retire from playing?

Not this.

Historically players weren't that well paid and didn't go into refereeing. Even now lower league players aren't set up for life and still don't go into refereeing.

Mine is him booking Dexter Blackstock 30 seconds into his Rangers debut, and the moving tribute to Kiyan Prince before kick off

Back