• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Round 1: Heat 11: His n Hers vs Screamadelica

Which album ...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BLUEBLOOD

Moderator of Moderators
Could this Battle see the return of Glasgow SUFC return to SZ shores ?? .. if so then welcome back sir, straight into action vs Defilers Screamadelica from Primal Scream .. over to you chaps

Rich seems to have been getting in some practice with the odd few posts in the last few days, so it would seem likely!

The first post doesn't actually state who's album His n Hers is?

Regards,

MrB
Picking off BB's mistakes one by one

VOTE HIS 'N' HERS

With this album Pulp sowed one of the seeds from which the Britpop movement grew & grew. Most people would probably rank 'Different Class' as their favourite and certainly the best-known Pulp album. However, in my mind that will always be 'His 'N' Hers', where Jarvis Cocker finally demonstrated the potential he had sporadically shown over the prior 12 or 13 years of Pulp in it's various guises, across a whole album.

Personally, this was the album that took me from dance & rave (Prodigy & Altern8 were big favourites at that time) onto the road to fully fledged indiedom. I was aware of Pulp from seeing them on MTV but the night they really came to the forefront of my mind was when I saw them supporting Blur and from then on it became a full-on obsession.

The album is a masterpiece of all emotions related to love and romance with its catalogue of desire, anger, jealousy, infidelity, revenge, sexual perversions and even teenage pregnancy. These traits combined with various cutting social comments that over the course of time the wider world of music would get to know could only be penned by Jarv, led to one of the most lyrically clever albums ever written. The singles off the album ('Babies', 'Do You Remember The First Time?' and 'Lipgloss' all regularly rank within various top 100 Britpop countdowns. The video (second version & most well-known) of 'Babies' has to be one of the most memorable video's ever made. Another little quirk that drew me fully into the album is this is the first time I'd ever seen a message asking the listener to refrain from "reading the lyrics whilst listening to the recordings". Having always been one to try & decipher lyrics whilst straining to hear them over and over again this was a revelation for me and definitely made me get more from the album. The artwork is also immense with a haunting and very arty portrait of the band on the front cover (confession #1 - I had a massive oversize print in the lounge after I first left home).

Confession #2 - I split up with my long-term and first really serious g/f around the time this album was re-released and rebranded by Island. I honestly feel this collection of songs actually helped me focus my mind in what was a pretty traumatic time for me and for that they will always be extremely precious.

Joyriders
A cracking intro to the album. Allegedly the story of a night Jarvis got chased by a group of chavs through one of Sheffield's less salubrious council estates.
Lipgloss
A first line of "No wonder you're looking thin, when all that you live on is lipgloss and cigarettes" - utter genius…
YouTube - Lipgloss
Acrylic Afternoons
First glimpse of how JC spent his search for fame - "entertaining married women"...
Have You Seen Her Lately?
Definite empathy from me with the lyrics of this song in terms of what I was living through at the time. "No, don't go round to see him tonite, he's already made such a mess of your life"
Babies
No words necessary - enjoy...
YouTube - Babies
She's A Lady
Forerunner of the style of tracks on 'Different Class'
Happy Endings
Confession #3 - I've spent many nights listening to this on repeat when life seemed like a living hell. "The aftermath of our affair is lying all around and I can't clear it away"
Do You Remember The First Time?
First Pulp single I ever bought and love it now as much as I did in 1994...
YouTube-DYRTFT?
Pink Glove
This track encapsulates the Pulp "sound" which people know so well from tracks like Common People.
The amazing keyboards of Candida Doyle, the great drumming of Nick Banks, the spellbinding guitar & violin of Russell Senior and vocal range & delivery of Jarvis.
Top tip - if you're buying a new stereo bang this track on in the shop and if the echoing synth comes blasting out - then you know you're buying a decent piece of kit!!!
Someone Like The Moon
A classic example of how Jarvis Cocker likes to tell stories through songs, again allegedly the true story of something that happened in his past.
David's Last Summer
This track ends the album but leaves you wanting more, both musically and in terms of wanting to know the background to the story.
The lyrics also hint at changing times and looking back this can also be seen as when Pulp went from indie also-rans only loved by John Peel and a few die-hards to multi-million selling, Mercury Music Prize winning, Michael Jackson mooning megastars.

Good summary, this is the only one today where I have any doubts.

Whilst I own His N Hers, but not Screamadelica, Im going for Primal Scream here. Whilst I know the music snobs wont be impressed, I do prefer the songs on Different Class.

Welcome back Rich - a powerfully argued case there, and no doubt 'His 'n' Hers' is a fine work, but I have to go with Bobby and the Boys. From the opening guitar riff and piano refrain of 'Movin' On Up' to the end of 'Shine Like Stars', 'Screamadelica' barely puts a foot wrong.

Welcome back Rich - a powerfully argued case there, and no doubt 'His 'n' Hers' is a fine work, but I have to go with Bobby and the Boys. From the opening guitar riff and piano refrain of 'Movin' On Up' to the end of 'Shine Like Stars', 'Screamadelica' barely puts a foot wrong.

I'm not going to slate my opponent as I love a lot of Primal Scream songs, but after all this is an album contest.

Pulp made music to make albums whereas Primal Scream, for me, wrote killer singles. I've heard people refer to Screamadelica as a concept album, if that's the case I don't think it works as a concept, great songs (in places, yes), but great all-time album (not for me - that would actually be Vanishing Point in terms the "da Scream")

Thanks for the welcome back message! ;)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Don't make me choose! :(

Toughest choice of the contest so far.

Screamadelica. A genre defining-mashing-changing album. As the song says there's "gospel, rhythm & Blues and jazz" not to mention a fair bit of acidhouse influence aswell. A masterpiece, but not my favourite Scream album, that award goes to 'XTRMNTR'.

His N' Hers. It's Pulp's BEST album. The indie disco hits of 'Do You Remember The First Time', 'Babies' & 'Lipgloss' (on my 30th b'day party playlist) are on there. But it's packed with other gems too like 'Joyriders', 'Have You Seen Her Lately' and the awesome 'She's A Lady' (Jarvis' male comeback to "I Will Survive"?). Add to that Jarvis is my Hero. That said did it change anything like Screamadelica did?

More thought required.

I shall wait until I get home and play each album in full and make a considered decision!

Primal Scream - Screamadelica

What is there to say about this album that hasnt been said already? One of the seminal albums of the 1990's, fusing acid house with Psychodelia and chillout. Beautifully crafted melodies and spine tingling instrumentals.

Dont take my word for it though, have a listen yourself. Every home should have one.

http://www.last.fm/music/Primal+Scream/Screamadelica - Here's the album on Last FM. Enjoy!

Edit: Oh when that intro to 'Movin on up' kicks in you know this album is the only sensible choice!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
To hell with it....His n' Hers it is.

I love you Jarvis!
Jarvis_C.jpg

NB. If it had been Vanishing Point or XTRMNTR up then they would have won my vote.

Good lad Jonny O.
Oh & thanks to all for their vote so far (didn't think MtS would be a Pulp fan!!!)

Oh & for the jingoistic amongst us, would you rather a bunch of Scots beat one of England's finest bands???

Not a huge fan of either, but Mrs Snide is a Pulp fan....so there goes my vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back