• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Round 9

Round 9

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MK Shrimper

Striker
All 4 ties are Premier$hite style draws today IMHO.

First up gives us Danny Boyle (Matt The Shrimp) v Oliver Stone (Marvel315)

Evidence please guys!

Stone - 2 Oscars for directing;

Oh and Any Given Sunday - superb fun

But Boyle - Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, 28 days later.

I can't choose.

Tough Call, despite Shallow Grave & Trainspotting for Boyle, I think Stone just edges it for me.

Danny Boyle
Shallow Grave (1994)
Trainspotting (1996)
A Life Less Ordinary (1997)
The Beach (2000)
28 Days Later (2002)
Millions (2004)
28 Weeks Later (2007) (producer)
Sunshine (2007)
Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

Oliver Stone
Seizure (also known as Queen of Evil, 1974)
The Hand (1981)
Salvador (1986)
Platoon (1986)
Wall Street (1987)
Talk Radio (1988)
Born on the Fourth of July (1989)
The Doors (1991)
JFK (1991)
Heaven & Earth (1993)
Natural Born Killers (1994)
Nixon (1995)
U Turn (1997)
Any Given Sunday (1999)
Comandante (2003)
Alexander (2004)
World Trade Center (2006)
W. (2008)

South of the Border (2009)

Last edited:
I love Boyle. He's the nearest thing we have to a Kubrick in terms of a director prepared to tackle any genre. He's only made a couple of true classics so far, but I love watching his stuff.

'Sunshine' was very good I thought, even if the ending let it down a touch.

If I was being uncharitable (which I am, since this is a contest), I could be forgiven for saying that Stone hasn't directed a good film since 1987.

OK, so Platoon and Wall Street are pretty good. But since then, his films could be accused of being bloated vanity projects - where the hype surrounding the films has not really lived up to the end product.

Boyle's films are the opposite. Always understated, but never underrated - almost every single film Boyle has directed has been a belter.

Besides, Oliver Stone is unlikely ever to film a sex scene which ends up with the hero stating:

"Och, I haven’t felt that good since Archie Gemill scored against Holland in 1978!"

renton_diane.jpg

84347-the-legacy-of-gemmills-goal-against-holland-in-78-200.jpg

Both have won Oscars, both have had critical and box office success... but only one of them directed Trainspotting, one of the finest films ever to emerge from these shores.

Vote Danny Boyle!

:)

Last edited:
Tough tough draw, love Trainspotting but Oliver Stone directed Natural Born killers so that swings it for me.

Back