• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rugby World Cup

Rugger buggers

• Total voters

MK Shrimper

Striker
Is it me or is the Rugby WC passing you by with indifference, despite the fact its being held in the UK.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Rugby Union at all but I just can't get excited by it. Maybe the combination of it being in the regular football season and on ITV has something to do with it?

Thoughts?

Is it me or is the Rugby WC passing you by with indifference, despite the fact its being held in the UK.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Rugby Union at all but I just can't get excited by it. Maybe the combination of it being in the regular football season and on ITV has something to do with it?

Thoughts?

Nope, I'm quite into it. My wife and I were also lucky enough to get tickets to England Wales Saturday night...can't wait!

Couldn't give a toss about it and the sooner it's over the better.

Tried watching the first England game and turned it off and watched American College Football instead.

Just dont get Rugby, leaves me cold.

The England game was dire.

The Japan vs SA game was amazing. One of the sporting moments for a long time.

Not really fussed - I much prefer rugby league - but I've had a few bets on it anyway. Hooray for Scotland thrashing Japan! Boo for the Aussies not thrashing Fiji!

Enjoying it so far, aside from Japan (which was amazing) it hasn't really caught light yet though.

Was waiting for my brother's wedding reception to kick off in the hotel bar when the Sa Japan match finished. Might have made a few people jump with the cheering.

No surprise that there's not much love for an odd shaped ball sport on a football forum.

I'm loving it though. May not have "caught light yet" but it will.

What surprises me (although actually, no it hasn't surprised me) is the reverse snobbery that's been surrounding it. You don't have to hate Rugby to enjoy football and, if we're honest, there's a lot in the game we could learn from.

No surprise that there's not much love for an odd shaped ball sport on a football forum.

I'm loving it though. May not have "caught light yet" but it will.

What surprises me (although actually, no it hasn't surprised me) is the reverse snobbery that's been surrounding it. You don't have to hate Rugby to enjoy football and, if we're honest, there's a lot in the game we could learn from.

Oh I dunno, most people who like one sport, tend to like others. Maybe England v Wales will get me going.

Oh I dunno, most people who like one sport, tend to like others. Maybe England v Wales will get me going.

I love football, but I dont really like a lot else. Got into NFL the last couple of years and enjoy that, but otherwise I not really grabbed by anything. Wimbledon is ok when we have someone to cheer on but I never watch Tennis any other time.

Rugby just doesnt interest me as a sport, the few times Ive tried watching it the game just bores me.

Think its partly because of where we were brought up, Rugby just isnt part of us as much as it is in other parts of the country.

Japan beating South Africa was better than the last couple of football world cups combined.

Said no one ever!

Not my fault if you can't appreciate history. It was seismic. The equivalent of the USA beating England in 1950 football World Cup. It's that unpredictability that keeps us as sports fans coming back.

The last football World Cup was ok, but let's face it 2010 was a dud.

Not my fault if you can't appreciate history. It was seismic. The equivalent of the USA beating England in 1950 football World Cup. It's that unpredictability that keeps us as sports fans coming back.

The last football World Cup was ok, but let's face it 2010 was a dud.

2010 was poor.

But 2014 had Germany 7-1 Brazil. In Brazil! In a semi-final!

Not to mention many other great memories, such as Tim Howard v Belgium, James' goal against Uruguay, Netherlands ripping Spain a new one, a generally fantastic group stage etc. etc.

That's not to deny the enormity of Japan's win by the way; an absolutely stunning result. But I couldn't let the 2014 World Cup just be shrugged off like that.

Back to the rugby union - I wasn't watching it too closely (it was on in the pub so I had an eye on it) but it looks like Namibia put up a really good fight against NZ. Handicap was 75 so they were expected to get utterly thrashed and while 58-14 isn't exactly close, they certainly didn't disgrace themselves. There were a few times when you thought 'NZ are in here' and Namibia put in a really big tackle.

Olympic Stadium looked good too - looking forward to seeing England play NZ in the rugby league later this year.

Fell asleep before halftime (been ill, bloody cold) but will definitely watch the highlights. Invictus on after tonight's match too so I'll probably fall asleep before the good bit of that, as per tradition.

Back