• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Running Thread

I found out this morning that even a couple of beers the day before really can affect you. I really struggled and I can only put it down to the 3 beers I had during the day when having a bbq. It was ****ing hot too!

Back in 86, ran my best marathon at Harlow in 3 hrs 7 mins 32 secs. From the previous Sunday to the Thursday, drank 4 pints of Guinness nightly. Wife was pregnant at the time, & on the Fri & Sat took one of her massive Iron tablets!.

Back in 86, ran my best marathon at Harlow in 3 hrs 7 mins 32 secs. From the previous Sunday to the Thursday, drank 4 pints of Guinness nightly. Wife was pregnant at the time, & on the Fri & Sat took one of her massive Iron tablets!.
In the 80s/90s I used to do some fell running UP North, cat A, over 20 milers, and a mate I ran with swore by his 4 or 5 pints of Guinness the night before; the rest of us swore at him for forcing us to drink with him.

Went for my usual 10km run on Monday, but it was hot and sunny. I thought I'd therefore make use of a public footpath that runs along the side of the road where the sun normally kills me. The footpath is tree-lined and nice and shaded. It is literally parallel with the road and spits you back out onto the road about 500m further up just before a cemetery.

The problem was the someone had put a big metal wire fence in the way of the exit, so I had to go all the way round said cemetery through other fields, and then come back on myself to go through the cemetery to get to the exit from the other side.

That added about 500m to my distance. To say I wasn't pleased is an understatement.

I also now need to find a new 10km route because there are now major roadworks blocking my way for the next 6 months.

I’m late to this thread

It’s a personal thing but I always run with my phone in a cheap eBay arm holder thing ( if you have a phone case buy next size up so your phone will fit). It doesn’t annoy me and I use Strava as my Tom Tom Nav watch Is dogs poo.

Regardless of music, tracking run whatever My logic is that you never know when you will need your phone. Since lockdown I’ve had to call 999 whilst walking dog (burglary) , mate needed to whilst on a run (Fire) and son needed to whilst on a walk.(serious RTA-Son was first on scene,).

you never know what is around the corner- literally

I’m late to this thread

It’s a personal thing but I always run with my phone in a cheap eBay arm holder thing ( if you have a phone case buy next size up so your phone will fit). It doesn’t annoy me and I use Strava as my Tom Tom Nav watch Is dogs poo.

Regardless of music, tracking run whatever My logic is that you never know when you will need your phone. Since lockdown I’ve had to call 999 whilst walking dog (burglary) , mate needed to whilst on a run (Fire) and son needed to whilst on a walk.(serious RTA-Son was first on scene,).

you never know what is around the corner- literally

I don't run anywhere that is so remote I can't pop into someone's house and ask to borrow their phone.

Still managing to keep the running going despite my continuing aversion to it, normally 8km 6 days per week with one of those being extended, if I can manage it, to around 12km.

Now that my 5 a side football is returning I'm not sure that I'll carry on daily as I am now. Tuesday I did 8km run in the morning and then an hours football in the evening in which I covered 8.5km, felt fine afterwards but not sure that will last at my age!

I don't run anywhere that is so remote I can't pop into someone's house and ask to borrow their phone.
Yeah I get what you are saying, but you just don’t know what is going to happen

not having a phone meant that a burglar got away- with a phone I could have followed him and given the police updates- knocking at a house meant I didn’t know exactly know where he was and the police didn’t catch him

If my son had not had a phone he could not have phoned his sister ( doctor) for advise whilst his gf called 999. The cyclist was severely injured and passed away as my son tried to comfort him as best he could. Calling my sister meant he has been able to cope better knowing there was nothing more he could have done.

Incredibly the police did not take my sons details , but now a criminal investigation is taking place the police have taken a statement.

The police would not have been able to trace him if his gf had not made the call.Both were not in remote places

Yeah I get what you are saying, but you just don’t know what is going to happen

not having a phone meant that a burglar got away- with a phone I could have followed him and given the police updates- knocking at a house meant I didn’t know exactly know where he was and the police didn’t catch him

If my son had not had a phone he could not have phoned his sister ( doctor) for advise whilst his gf called 999. The cyclist was severely injured and passed away as my son tried to comfort him as best he could. Calling my sister meant he has been able to cope better knowing there was nothing more he could have done.

Incredibly the police did not take my sons details , but now a criminal investigation is taking place the police have taken a statement.

The police would not have been able to trace him if his gf had not made the call.Both were not in remote places

Indeed. at first I didn't feel comfortable without my phone, but quickly got used to it! My view of any situation is that there is always an alternative, you just have to be creative enough to find it should you need to.

I am thinking of starting couch to 5k..

I would love to run and it would probably be good for my knees if I am careful.

I'm on this and I'm at the back end of my 2nd week. I'm liking it so far, eases you in gently if your someone who hasn't very much running at all for a few years!

I’m late to this thread

I bought one of these (see below).

£30 here

I'm barely able to relate as the same species to some of you guys above so very much 'all the gear, no idea' but I like it and means the phone isn't on my arm or banging around in my pocket. Weirdly, I've been running listening to an 80bpm music playlist thinking it was great for keeping me motivated but tried a podcast this morning after a tip-off, and ran 10 second faster per km. A big surprise I can tell you!

Freetrain-V1-Running-Vest-14_720x.jpg

£30 here

I'm barely able to relate as the same species to some of you guys above so very much 'all the gear, no idea' but I like it and means the phone isn't on my arm or banging around in my pocket. Weirdly, I've been running listening to an 80bpm music playlist thinking it was great for keeping me motivated but tried a podcast this morning after a tip-off, and ran 10 second faster per km. A big surprise I can tell you!

What’s the quality like, I’ve been looking at getting one of those for a while but wasn’t sure what it would be like. I’m always dubious of the comments on their social media’s when they say how amazing they are.

What’s the quality like, I’ve been looking at getting one of those for a while but wasn’t sure what it would be like. I’m always dubious of the comments on their social media’s when they say how amazing they are.
Quite high end I’d say - for the cost at least. Was a recommendation from someone else to me initially.

£30 here

The top looks the nuts G, how about one of these just to keep things in place, you really could look the biz with the pair.

1596731946760.png

Note to self...….……

If you are going to go out and run 8km in this heat, please make sure you do it before 9am next time and pick a route that's not in full sunshine for 3/4 of it.

School boy error :Madhouse:

Note to self...….……

If you are going to go out and run 8km in this heat, please make sure you do it before 9am next time and pick a route that's not in full sunshine for 3/4 of it.

I've decided not to go for a run today. I'd doing a half hour turbo training session in the shade instead. I'll leave the run for later in the week when rain is forecast...oooh get me, actually seeking out rain to run in now!

I’ve well and truly fallen off the wagon, haven’t run for a while now. I’ve got a busy week at work this week and have every intention of getting back on the wagon next week.

Note to self...….……

I can recommend running the seafront at 5:30am - the sun is so low you can still find shade.

Back