• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Running Thread

FFS. Torn calf muscle.

I went for a run this morning and at about 3km I felt a tiny pain in my left calf that instantly grew. It felt like it was bleeding internally. Needless to say I didn't stop and completed the full 10km.

As soon as I got home I asked my wife to have a look. It's a proper muscle tear. I've had ice on it pretty much constantly since. She's told me to keep it iced, and to take ibuprofen, which I'm doing. We happen to have 2 ice packs at home so whilst one is in use the other is in the freezer. She's also lined me up for ultrasound tomorrow when she's able to assess it properly.

In the meantime I'm hobbling around the house. It ****ing hurts.

FFS. Torn calf muscle.

I went for a run this morning and at about 3km I felt a tiny pain in my left calf that instantly grew. It felt like it was bleeding internally. Needless to say I didn't stop and completed the full 10km.

As soon as I got home I asked my wife to have a look. It's a proper muscle tear. I've had ice on it pretty much constantly since. She's told me to keep it iced, and to take ibuprofen, which I'm doing. We happen to have 2 ice packs at home so whilst one is in use the other is in the freezer. She's also lined me up for ultrasound tomorrow when she's able to assess it properly.

Ouch, a calf can often be the first muscle to go.
Do you wear compression socks?

FFS. Torn calf muscle.

Oof, sounds nasty. Hope it doesn't keep you laid up for too long.

Carrying on is the sort of thing I do instead on stopping when you know you should.

Hopefully it mends post haste but for me things that used to clear up in a few days now take a few weeks ?

Try them, they reduce calf movement and stimulate better blood flow, and the sport science tends towards injury reduction and better recovery.

Interesting, but there's no getting around the fact that they'll look ****ing stupid! That said, when the temperature drops and I'm wearing long running tights no-one will be able to see...

FFS. Torn calf muscle.

As soon as I got home I asked my wife to have a look. It's a proper muscle tear. I've had ice on it pretty much constantly since. She's told me to keep it iced, and to take ibuprofen, which I'm doing.

Not a torn calf muscle, but 9 days ago 300yds from home whilst out on a run, i suddenly got a stabbing pain in my left heel when putting any pressure on it.
Hobbled home, turns out i've got 'Plantar Fasciitis' a common ailment amongst runners.
I've been pounding the roads, woods etc for 42 years & never had this before. Muscle sprains, Hamstring pulls etc but this is a new one for me.
Been putting ice packs on my heel 4 times daily since, but still uncomfortable when i walk, let alone run!. Walked down to Leigh Station this morning ( about 1 mile ) just to walk back up the steps opp, to get some stamina work. No prob walking up steps, as keep my heel off them, but once i got in, bloody heel was letting me know it wasn't happy!.
Anyone else ever had this problem, & how long did it take to recover?.

Not a torn calf muscle, but 9 days ago 300yds from home whilst out on a run, i suddenly got a stabbing pain in my left heel when putting any pressure on it.
Hobbled home, turns out i've got 'Plantar Fasciitis' a common ailment amongst runners.
I've been pounding the roads, woods etc for 42 years & never had this before. Muscle sprains, Hamstring pulls etc but this is a new one for me.
Been putting ice packs on my heel 4 times daily since, but still uncomfortable when i walk, let alone run!. Walked down to Leigh Station this morning ( about 1 mile ) just to walk back up the steps opp, to get some stamina work. No prob walking up steps, as keep my heel off them, but once i got in, bloody heel was letting me know it wasn't happy!.
Yep, had it for about six months. Wasted a lot of money on pyhsyo etc. Best thing for easing it was rolling the foot over a golf ball to self massage it.
It went away on it's own, just as it arrived.

Yep, had it for about six months. Wasted a lot of money on pyhsyo etc. Best thing for easing it was rolling the foot over a golf ball to self massage it.
It went away on it's own, just as it arrived.

Thanks for that info Massimo, i'll try it with a tennis ball. Had Piriformis Syndrome ( Sciatica ) twice in last 6 years. I was told to place a tennis ball at the top of my left bum where it was coming from, when i sat down or drove. Daft as it sound, it eased the discomfort big time!.

I had that a few years ago from overdoing it on a bike. My wife suggested I buy a half litre bottle of water, freeze it and use that as a roller on the bottom of my foot. Brilliant idea and it worked really quickly.

The bottle is still in the freezer just in case!

Also calf stretches and massages will help as the tightness in this area pulls in the plantar. Stand on the edge of a step and drop your heels down gives a really good stretch

Also calf stretches and massages will help as the tightness in this area pulls in the plantar. Stand on the edge of a step and drop your heels down gives a really good stretch

Not for me at the moment. I'm not allowed to stretch my calf until tomorrow at the earliest, and even then it depends on what my wife says. (Sorry I'm being a bit facetious and combining treatment of two injuries!)

I now have a swollen calf with rather a big bruise appearing but at least it's settled down and isn't painful anymore. It's just sore.

Yep I have it ( although it impacts people in different ways- my heels are ok) and sciatica. ( bad back , had an op years ago but will never be 100%)

I inherited flat feet from my dad. Both my kids have it and had custom insoles from a young age which changed the shape of their feet.
I have custom made insoles and have to wear them in normal shoes, trainers I just need stability trainers ( high instead).

anyway. Standing on the bottom step off stairs and stretching so foot/feet go below step and then up high will help stretch the tendons which will potentially make a big difference.

Went for a 2.8km run today with no pain. I'm not allowed to do 10km at the moment but the calf is effectively better. I've just been told to build up to 10km though which is a bit frustrating.

I'm still doing the exercises I've been given too.

Went for a 2.8km run today with no pain. I'm not allowed to do 10km at the moment but the calf is effectively better. I've just been told to build up to 10km though which is a bit frustrating.
I'm still doing the exercises I've been given too.

That's encouraging news. I'm still struggling with this 'Plantar Faciilitus' on my heel, will be 5 weeks on Sat!. Not as painful as it was, but still feeling it when i'm walking, so no chance of having a run.
Doing daily stretching on it, & using the ice bottle to roll under it 3 times daily, but guess i'll just have to be patient!.

That's encouraging news. I'm still struggling with this 'Plantar Faciilitus' on my heel, will be 5 weeks on Sat!. Not as painful as it was, but still feeling it when i'm walking, so no chance of having a run.
Doing daily stretching on it, & using the ice bottle to roll under it 3 times daily, but guess i'll just have to be patient!.

It's a ******* to get rid of.

unfortunately it is a time thing. My injury period started with a Plantar issue...then knee, then achillles, then knee again....3 year on and I'm now finally getting a decent period of training in and recorded my fastest 5k since my 1st injury !...just keep positive ?

Back