• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sainsbury's & SUFC Partnership

bluebrian

First XI
Mate called me this morning and said there was an interesting article in The Echo - confirming that Sainsbury's were now more heavily involved with the Fossetts Farm venture. They are trying to defer part of the S106 funding and there will be a special council meeting on April 13 to decide if they will let us do this. Is this the last piece of the jigsaw prior to the court hearing on the 14th? Apparently responses form the coucil were positive in that they are more comfortable with Sainsbury's fully on board.

Havent got the copy of The Echo but apparently it is on Page 8. Perhaps someone could check it out and see if what I have said is correct as I am just recalling bits and pieces which were said to me during a telephone conversation.

Perhaps all is not lost just yet! UTB.

Mate called me this morning and said there was an interesting article in The Echo - confirming that Sainsbury's were now more heavily involved with the Fossetts Farm venture. They are trying to defer part of the S106 funding and there will be a special council meeting on April 13 to decide if they will let us do this. Is this the last piece of the jigsaw prior to the court hearing on the 14th? Apparently responses form the coucil were positive in that they are more comfortable with Sainsbury's fully on board.

Havent got the copy of The Echo but apparently it is on Page 8. Perhaps someone could check it out and see if what I have said is correct as I am just recalling bits and pieces which were said to me during a telephone conversation.

Perhaps all is not lost just yet! UTB.

Correct,Socalled good news does not make the front page.........

Would certainly indicate, especially with the timing, that this is how RM will recieve the last portion of the outgoing tax bill which would definitely settle a few nerves. If Sainsbury's were more heavily involved as well it would go a long way to disperse some of the nay sayers who were more than happy to profess that Sainsbury's were pulling out because of what a less-than-media-shy bloke told the Echo.

Still, two sides to every coin and all that...

would be great if someone could quote the full article here..

Sounds like better news!

What time would the council meeting be... could this be the return of Martin's on pitch crowd address with the microphone at the Brentford game?

From the way i read it in the Echo, the club will receive none of this £3million. It goes straight to the council as its half of the money we would have to pay them for the development of FF.

From the way i read it in the Echo, the club will receive none of this £3million. It goes straight to the council as its half of the money we would have to pay them for the development of FF.

Yup, but as has been said earlier:

1. Sainsburys wouldn't be wasting their time on this if we were about to go belly up, and

2. This has probably freed up money to sort out the bill and

3. RM wouldn't have paid the players if it was going to be needed to pay HMRC.

Spot on - this is not Sainsburys giving RM a cheque for £3m. It is Sainsburys guaranteeing the first £3m of a total £6m that the applicants agree to cough up to the council as part of the Section 106 agreement.

The original 106 agreement stated that this amount should be paid upfront. The special meeting that has hastily been arranged for next week (conveniently the day before our next trip to the High Court) is asking the council to agree to vary this agreement to the following payment schedule:

It is proposed to re-profile the S.106 contribution towards the town centre as follows:

£500,000 On commencement of the stadium approx July 2010
£500,000 On commencement of the supermarket Sept 2011
£2,000,000 On the opening of the supermarket Sept 2012
£3,000,000 5 years after practical completion of the retail park OR
On completion of the redevelopment of
the London Road Sainsburys site
whichever is the sooner March 2017

Also the following has been said in a report to the Development Control Committee which is of interest:

In simple terms, the applicant states that the current arrangements are not financially viable and likely to lead to the loss of the scheme. Currently the cost of delivering all the necessary elements of the scheme leads to an estimated negative asset value of around £10,000,000. Such a negative value is not considered sustainable and not acceptable to SSL.

In the circumstances, the applicant has asked the Council to consider a reformulation of the Town Centre Regeneration Contribution. Without this change the scheme will not be deliverable in its current form; particularly given the cost of other acquisitions which have been necessary to deliver other elements of the scheme, e.g. the Prospects College site.

Should the variation to the S.106 agreement as described below be agreed and the SSL board approve the financing of the scheme, officers have been assured that the remaining planning issues associated with the redevelopment of Root’s Hall and St. Mary’s Court and the development of the Fossett’s Farm elements will be speedily pursued.

And the final recommendation to the committee is as follows:

Recommendation

Members are recommended to:
DELEGATE to the Head of Planning & Transportation or Group Manager of Development Control & Building Control AUTHORITY TO VARY the S.106 agreement associated with the planning permission reference 06/01300/FUL in accordance with section 7 of this report.

So in my eyes that means if the council say no the whole deal is dead in the water(Roots Hall,FF etc) If they say yes then Sainsburys will 'speedily pursue'
the deal for Prospects and the surrounding areas (I'm guessing this is why the deal was put on hold last week).

Then we just have to find the taxmans money,pay the players,pay the trust, pay the PFA and try and stay in League One!

Spot on - this is not Sainsburys giving RM a cheque for £3m. It is Sainsburys guaranteeing the first £3m of a total £6m that the applicants agree to cough up to the council as part of the Section 106 agreement.

The original 106 agreement stated that this amount should be paid upfront. The special meeting that has hastily been arranged for next week (conveniently the day before our next trip to the High Court) is asking the council to agree to vary this agreement to the following payment schedule:

It is proposed to re-profile the S.106 contribution towards the town centre as follows:

£500,000 On commencement of the stadium approx July 2010
£500,000 On commencement of the supermarket Sept 2011
£2,000,000 On the opening of the supermarket Sept 2012
£3,000,000 5 years after practical completion of the retail park OR
On completion of the redevelopment of
the London Road Sainsburys site
whichever is the sooner March 2017

Also the following has been said in a report to the Development Control Committee which is of interest:

In simple terms, the applicant states that the current arrangements are not financially viable and likely to lead to the loss of the scheme. Currently the cost of delivering all the necessary elements of the scheme leads to an estimated negative asset value of around £10,000,000. Such a negative value is not considered sustainable and not acceptable to SSL.

In the circumstances, the applicant has asked the Council to consider a reformulation of the Town Centre Regeneration Contribution. Without this change the scheme will not be deliverable in its current form; particularly given the cost of other acquisitions which have been necessary to deliver other elements of the scheme, e.g. the Prospects College site.

Should the variation to the S.106 agreement as described below be agreed and the SSL board approve the financing of the scheme, officers have been assured that the remaining planning issues associated with the redevelopment of Root’s Hall and St. Mary’s Court and the development of the Fossett’s Farm elements will be speedily pursued.

And the final recommendation to the committee is as follows:

Recommendation

Members are recommended to:
DELEGATE to the Head of Planning & Transportation or Group Manager of Development Control & Building Control AUTHORITY TO VARY the S.106 agreement associated with the planning permission reference 06/01300/FUL in accordance with section 7 of this report.

So in my eyes that means if the council say no the whole deal is dead in the water(Roots Hall,FF etc) If they say yes then Sainsburys will 'speedily pursue'
the deal for Prospects and the surrounding areas (I'm guessing this is why the deal was put on hold last week).

Then we just have to find the taxmans money,pay the players,pay the trust, pay the PFA and try and stay in League One!

in fairness this all sounds very positive

Leaving for the USA on Tuesday evening and am now pretty confident that I will still have a football team to support, when I return. Quite honestly, this whole project is so big for all three parties, Southend Council, Sainsburys and Ron Martin (Southend United), that it JUST WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO FAIL.
Following the 14th April perhaps attention can be re-focussed on our shattered football club? Reckon it is too late to save our League One status and interest will be on what resources are going to be made available next season so we can make a quick return to the third tier of English football. Perhaps it's time for Ron to go searching for that 'War Chest' again!

Leaving for the USA on Tuesday evening and am now pretty confident that I will still have a football team to support, when I return. Quite honestly, this whole project is so big for all three parties, Southend Council, Sainsburys and Ron Martin (Southend United), that it JUST WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO FAIL.
Following the 14th April perhaps attention can be re-focussed on our shattered football club? Reckon it is too late to save our League One status and interest will be on what resources are going to be made available next season so we can make a quick return to the third tier of English football. Perhaps it's time for Ron to go, for 'We are Chester II'

Is this what you meant :) ? Have a good trip by the way and keep close

Back