• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sainsburys vs Tescos in Southend

Sorry Miss ;)...I thought it was Tesco's :unsure: but you have the dates about right so I will bow down to your greater knowledge.

Read a letter on saturday which was dated 1986 and clearly showed Tesco interested in buying Roots Hall for about 11 million

Read a letter on saturday which was dated 1986 and clearly showed Tesco interested in buying Roots Hall for about 11 million

Cheers mate..I thought so to....so I have not lost my marbles yet..;)

From what I understood was that the Current Sainsburys will be closed down once the Roots Hall Store is open. The Sainsburys site in Southend will become an area for resturants with al fresco dinning and lesuire areas (extending on what is already becoming a resturant promande.

Nice to hear this, I've always thought that Southend town centre is a natural home for al fresco dining. Do you happen to know whether there are any plans for cash machines I can sit close to with a large bottle of strong cider? I need to kill time over certain weekends since I can't get to all away games.

whats happening with the idea touted a while ago of Morrisons having a store on our Fossets Farm site. it doesnt seem to make much sence with Waitrose being next door.

Nice to hear this, I've always thought that Southend town centre is a natural home for al fresco dining. Do you happen to know whether there are any plans for cash machines I can sit close to with a large bottle of strong cider? I need to kill time over certain weekends since I can't get to all away games.

The only problem is that they will all be chain places, rather than anything interesting.

Probably best off with the cider.

The only problem is that they will all be chain places, rather than anything interesting.

Probably best off with the cider.

As much as the Spread has it's match day charms, i cant help but think a wetherspoons would be nice at the new ground, as the prices in the Spread are a little steep (which i assume you agree with as you only arrive 10mins b4 K/O!)

As much as the Spread has it's match day charms, i cant help but think a wetherspoons would be nice at the new ground, as the prices in the Spread are a little steep (which i assume you agree with as you only arrive 10mins b4 K/O!)

That sadly has far more to do with c2c's timetabling.

However, I have no idea what the rush is. I stroll in at 2:50pm and the bar is virtually empty, thereby avoiding all the queues. That way I get to watch the entire morning session of the cricket and still have a pre-match pint or two to fortify myself for the afternoon's entertainment. Obviously it would be a lot easier if the Spread got Sky Sports back, so I could watch it there.

If, as you suggest, it was a Wetherspoons I'd have to turn up an hour early if I wanted to be served before kick-off, but then they don't have the cricket either:thumbdown:

if the Spread got Sky Sports back, so I could watch it there.

The Spread IS getting Sky back (according to the Landlord), old dropdown screen and projector have already gone, and a new 42" LCD HDTV has been mounted in the corner by the entrance, with further screen going up over the chimney breast to the right of the door going out the back.

Homer

1986 was surely after the rubins - certainly the father - bill rubin. i'm sure i remeber and artist inpresion (spelling gone its to late) - no computer generated images in the evening echo, with j sainsbury on it.

hang on: echo & accuracy clearly an oxymoron (spelling???).

perhaps i was wrong all along...

sorry i will read the last part again ( as it doesnt even make sense to me):

there were no computer images in those days but i thought i remembered an 'artists impression' of the building with j sainsbury on the side of it.

but im probably wrong...

Back