• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Scannell - what do you reckon?

RobM

55 years as a supporter!⭐
Bit of a long shot but why not start with him? He's young, keen, skillful.
Give the lad a go I say!

How 'bout you?

No doesnt look match fit and not over impressed what I have seen on him yet.I fear we have another Scott Forbes on our books.

If only you told the management you could accurately assess a player after only a few minutes! You're the scout we've been looking for!

No I am not the scout however,this is just the feeling I am getting about him,I hope he proves me wrong but at this stage I dont feel he is a league 1 player.It is a big jump from playing for Eastleigh to coming here.

Did you rate Scott Forbes?

He has looked a great player every time I have seen him. Hartlepool away he looked amazing.

Scotty? Yes I did to be honest.

OK he was never a Prem' player but I had the feeling he wanted to be in a Southend shirt.

2 games in 4 days? I would bench Black and give either Scannell or Grant a start on the right, if we are drawing with Swindon with 25 mins left, I would throw Black on, he might put up a better performace to prove a point to Tilly.

2 games in 4 days? I would bench Black and give either Scannell or Grant a start on the right, if we are drawing with Swindon with 25 mins left, I would throw Black on, he might put up a better performace to prove a point to Tilly.

Great shout, I reckon start Grant on the right he is a quality battler and thats what we need for away games.

Grant got some good skill and ability to control and hold on to the ball, tackle, pass well, but I only seen 10 or 15 mins of him so far but he play well there, so what he be like for 90 mins?

As I said the other day, Scannell could be a World-beater but he could just as easily be pants. In the position we're in we don't have the luxury of being able to give a kid a chance and just cross our fingers that it'll work out.

Anthony Grant is a quality footballer with a Premier League pedigree and plenty of Football League experiance from his previous loan spells. If Tommy Black is to drop out the side I'd far rather see Grant given the chance to show us what he can do.

The step up from lower league will take time - i say use him as a sub for the rest of the season. A full pre-season with us will improve his fitness and he will be a good player for us next season.

Scannell has taken a big leap, he has gone from playing semi pro football to playing proffessional. He is going to need to be looked after and crafted into a good player. I recon we carry on bringing him on for the last 15/30 mins near the end untill the end of the season. Test him pre season, then send him on loan for 3 months to someone like Barnet and then once he has played a few games week in week out I recon he will be ready.

As for comparing him to Scott Forbes?!?! Different class there Scotty had the talent but was unfortunate with his injuries which was a shame cause he could of been a Southend United Legend although he is to me anyway!!

always thought black made more of an impact from the bench. the issue is that mulgrew is away with the under21s apparently and so either hunt or grant will have to slot into the defence, and we'll probably be stuck with Tommy Cack again

I think he has showed he can play when he has, but I dont think he is ready for football week in week out yet, and I think he realises this along with T&B. I believe they have said, that he needs a pro pre-season under his bealt before he will be ready for 90 mins

i do think scannell is getting eased in very slowly to get some experience at playing at this level. wouldn't really be fair to chuck him in at the deep end. don't think we've seen more than 10 mins in a game yet but he has been getting in goal scoring positions, should have scored a few especially against leeds. from what i've seen he looks very good but a bit nervous at times. very glad to have another winger though and would like to see him get a start sooner or later but that being said this time of the season its not really the time to experiment this sort of thing. i'm sure we will see a lot more of him next season.

He needs a "proper" pre-season behind him. His still off the pace at the moment, but is making an impact in most of the games he appears off the bench for us.

May prove to be a real bargain buy....If we don't go up in my opinion.

With Scannell, I'm of the opinion that if he hadn't have got sent off at Millwall for that rather reckless challenge, he would be featuring a bit more now. I think Tilly's letting him get a bit more match awareness under his belt, which is why he appears to have dropped down the pecking order.

Back