• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Scarborough & North Yorkshire Moors

The Big Shrimp

Zone Photographer
Me & the better half are staying up that way for a few days & wondered if anybody could suggest must see places to visit.

We're intending to go to Whitby, Robin Hood Bay (Inspired by the TV prog, Coast!) Rievaulx Abbey & Goathland (Heartbeat village & no I never watched it!) to name a few places we intend visiting.

Me, I would like to see places of beauty & the other half historical interest, so that is :harry: or :cricko: out of the question then!

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Funnily enough my old man lives a mile away from the Marston Moor Monument, which is just outside of Wetherby and the location of the Battle of Marston Moor. There's not a lot to see, but if you're into the historical aspect then could be worth a stop on your way up.

Around there and the Harrogate area there's a few great walks around the Moors...

Me & the better half are staying up that way for a few days & wondered if anybody could suggest must see places to visit.

We're intending to go to Whitby, Robin Hood Bay (Inspired by the TV prog, Coast!) Rievaulx Abbey & Goathland (Heartbeat village & no I never watched it!) to name a few places we intend visiting.

Me, I would like to see places of beauty & the other half historical interest, so that is :harry: or :cricko: out of the question then!

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Cheeky git, I was going to offer advice but you can **** right off. :'(;)

There's a very good Indian Restaurant in Whitby if you don't go for the more traditional fish and chips. The Black Sheep Bewery is definitely worth a visit. I also like Ripon, Holmfirth & Skipton, although they're more West than North, and Howarth is always worth a visit, but make sure you wear thermals it's cold there in July.

Wensleydale in the dales is very nice and of course you can grab some of the cheese from the source while you are there. The dales in general are stunning when the sun comes out but still have plenty of charm if it doesn't. If you are aiming to get some nice pictures of the scenery then you wont be disappointed. Ripon is a really nice market town as well and is the spiritral home of James Herriot so well worth a wander around.

NYM Railway Rich, takes you directly to Goathland. Whitby is lovely, especially if you're lucky enough to have to have some tall ships in, there's an excellent fish and chip restaurant on the front - can't remember the name though but there is usually a queue, to be fair though they're all good in Whitby! They also have one of the most amazing public conveniences I've ever seen on the front!

The Dales are lovely but about 40 miles in the opposite direction, although driving across the Moors road is pretty awesome, lots of bikers in the summer. Castle Howard where they filmed Brideshead is not too far from where you're going. The Black Sheep Brewery in Masham is excellent in Wensleydale, and the Brymor Ice-cream parlour just about 5 miles on towards Middleham (which is also worth a visit) is a must if you like your ice-cream, knocks Rossis into pale insignificance!

All depends what you want to do and how far you want to travel, the Wensleydale Creamery at Hawes is amazing, not least cos of the restaurant and the amount of freebie sampling you can do. On the way there from Leyburn, you pass Aysgarth Falls, where they filmed the Robin Hood Prince of Thieves scenes - they're worth seeing especially as they should be pretty full at this time of year.

Lovely area, hoping to visit the Dales in a couple of weekends (to coincide with the Leeds game!). Whatever you do, sample plenty of local beers!

Take a shovel out on the Moors.Brady and Hindley had some unfinished business out there.:puke

Wrong moors, do you not know your red from your white? It was Saddleworth, around Oldham not the far more picturesque North Yorks.

But Saddleworth Moor is in Yorkshire though ?

Saddleworth Moor is a part of the Peak District National Park which is to the South West of Huddersfield. Huddersfield is obviously Yorkshire but not sure where the boundary is. The North York Moors are way over the opposite side of the country though.

I spent a week in Whitby on a Geography field trip and its not a bad place. Locals are scummy as you would expect but the place itself is decent. Its quite an oldy worldy sort of place and there is a momument to dracula there. Beach is clean and the nightlife is OK (when your sixteen that is)

On my field trip we went to Middlesborough to study poverty in the inner cities and as a word of advice I wouldnt recommend that if you value your life.

I spent a week in Whitby on a Geography field trip and its not a bad place. Locals are scummy as you would expect but the place itself is decent. Its quite an oldy worldy sort of place and there is a momument to dracula there. Beach is clean and the nightlife is OK (when your sixteen that is)

On my field trip we went to Middlesborough to study poverty in the inner cities and as a word of advice I wouldnt recommend that if you value your life.

You weren't kidding! It is probably the worst town/city I've ever been to. I couldn't even find a hint of a posh bit. I guess any houses with an inside toilet would be posh! What a tip!!

Whitby wasn't too bad, but again like a lot of the places oop north, the buildings need a bloody good clean!

You weren't kidding! It is probably the worst town/city I've ever been to. I couldn't even find a hint of a posh bit. I guess any houses with an inside toilet would be posh! What a tip!!

Whitby wasn't too bad, but again like a lot of the places oop north, the buildings need a bloody good clean!

Just a few miles outside Middlesbrough there's places such as Eaglescliffe, Yarm and Guisborough which are beautiful and good spots to live.

I must have blinked & missed them!! ;)

You probably didn't slow down getting out of Middlesbrough. I parked on South Bank once and two kids said to me "A tenner to look after your car mate"

I said "Don't worry I've go a rottweiler in the back"
To which the retort was "Can he put fires out"
:stunned::'(

Go to a pub In ebberston called The Grapes. the best pub EVER and one I want to buy one day!!! If you go in their say Hi to Ray the landlord and if you say your from southend be prepared to get plenty of stick.
I was given a Darts top from this pub as it became my local for 1 week and what a week it was

I spent a week in Whitby on a Geography field trip and its not a bad place. Locals are scummy as you would expect but the place itself is decent. .

Rubbish, i've been going there for over 20 years for a weeks fishing and leisure time. Like anywhere else in the country, initially they are wary of you but i can state without any hesitation that they are far friendlier people than the miserable so and so's based in the south. Incidently, the only people they dont like are the Smoggies (those from middlesbrough).

Back