• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

davewebbsbrain

Webby⭐
Just listening to BBC Essex and an interview with the Col Ewe manager. When asked where Sean was today as not in the 18 man squad, Humes was rather coy. The interviewer asked if he was injured and all Humes would say is Sean wasn't selected.

Sounds like something could have gone on. Maybe Sean has realised he is a Shrimper thru and thru

He knew they were about to get a 6-0 humping and didnt want to live with the shame.

Given how White is equally assured on both flanks letting JBW go and getting Clohessy back would be far from disastrous..

Given how White is equally assured on both flanks letting JBW go and getting Clohessy back would be far from disastrous..

And where would Coker fit into that? We saw Clohessy play for the Ewes earlier in the season at Charlton, he looked comfortable and assured. I'd hazard a guess that he has voiced an opinion the manager didn't agree with and that was his punishment. Went well, didn't it?!

It's a shame as in all my years watching Southend, he was the most attacking full back I have ever seen. Some games he was a full back and winger rolled into one. It was like we had an extra man. How he kept that up stamina wise, I don't know.

Given the choice I'd rather have White, and I liked Sean but feel JW is the better defender.

why would you want him back, As many say here 2nd time is never as good as the first,anyway SUFC have to competent full backs as it is in White and Coker ,also he had his time here and discarded us,i wouldnt want him back sorry

Graham Birks and Tony Bentley before your time? :unsure:

We played five up front in them days with 2 wingers, an inside right, an inside left and a center forward. So the full backs would normally pass the ball to the winger down the line when attacking. Sean Clohessy played a lot when we only had 1 or 2 up front, so he would attack all the way down the line before choosing when to cross the ball, and would then have to run all the way back. He also attacked a lot more per game than any other full back you can mention, even tho we have had some good attacking full backs in the past.

What about Simon Francis? He was forever getting forward and putting in crosses. Funny how he got abuse for being poor yet he is playing in a team looking for promotion to the Premiership!

What about Simon Francis? He was forever getting forward and putting in crosses. Funny how he got abuse for being poor yet he is playing in a team looking for promotion to the Premiership!

Francis was young (20-21) when he was here and very rough around the edges at the time. Harsh to really compare that to the player he is now.

We played five up front in them days with 2 wingers, an inside right, an inside left and a center forward. So the full backs would normally pass the ball to the winger down the line when attacking. Sean Clohessy played a lot when we only had 1 or 2 up front, so he would attack all the way down the line before choosing when to cross the ball, and would then have to run all the way back. He also attacked a lot more per game than any other full back you can mention, even tho we have had some good attacking full backs in the past.

Actually,4-3-3 was very much "de rigueur" back in those days.

Simon Francis is a good shout as an attacking full back.Unlike Clohessey, he's proved that he can thrive playing at a higher level.

Last edited:
why would you want him back, As many say here 2nd time is never as good as the first,anyway SUFC have to competent full backs as it is in White and Coker ,also he had his time here and discarded us,i wouldnt want him back sorry

Surely this is White's second time round

Back