• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rob Noxious

Retro Supremo⭐
I hope this will not be libellous, but seeing Naps' various elevens and discussing the characteristics of some players got me thinking about this one. Harry has cited Dave Cunningham and Willie Coulson in the C eleven and Alan Foggon has to be a definite. My impression was that Paul Byrne liked a pint and I guess we need look no further than Ronnie Whelan as Player-Manager ... can I have your orders please? :spread:

You should put yourself forward as a coach Rob.

I had you down as one of the old-fashioned trainers, H - you know, the ones that used to run on with a sponge. Hey, 'The Sponge' - wasn't an ex Chelsea player called that because of his legendary drinking ability?

I hope this will not be libellous, but seeing Naps' various elevens and discussing the characteristics of some players got me thinking about this one. Harry has cited Dave Cunningham and Willie Coulson in the C eleven and Alan Foggon has to be a definite. My impression was that Paul Byrne liked a pint and I guess we need look no further than Ronnie Whelan as Player-Manager ... can I have your orders please? :spread:

Both went drinking together, used to meet up with them at The Halfway House by the A128 on a Weds evening

I once saw Rob Newman queuing up to get into Bar Vic (well he was the queue in truth) at 10.45am one weekday when he was manager.

A lot of the Ronnie Whelan era boys liked the odd beverage however one man stood proud above the rest even eclipsing the likes of Paul Byrne and Mike Marsh.

Step forward.....John Neilsen.

This man had an unquenchable thirst for spirits and champagne. Many a night down churchills was spent with him clearing both bars of spirits, mainly his ultimate tipple...Vodka.

Even once Churchills had closed for the night and he had drained all stocks this wasn't enough. Normal procedure was to go back to my parents house where i lived at the time and empty the drinks cabinet of ALL spirits. while the rest would have a few beers and the like.

At this point an honourable mention must go to Leo Roget who would not drink anything all night except bottled water meaning there was always more for John and the others

Jamie Stuart liked a pint. Darryl liked one even more. Ryan Robinson got a bit violent when drunk. Carl Pettefer was known as Tosh because he was the biggest drinker of that team. But Bobby Moore used to drink a lot - usually at Brian Dear's pub.

Jamie Stuart liked a pint. Darryl liked one even more. Ryan Robinson got a bit violent when drunk. Carl Pettefer was known as Tosh because he was the biggest drinker of that team. But Bobby Moore used to drink a lot - usually at Brian Dear's pub.

brilliant!:smile:

Phil Chisnal and Sammy Mac liked a drink.They were often seen out together at the Bell circa 68/9.
A bit more recently ie mid-80's Billy Kellock and Barry Silkman could often be seen drinking in the Aristocrat.

Confirmed my Dad said there drinking sessions in The Bell were legendary.

Your Dad sounds like an interesting bloke.:thumbsup:

Back