• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Has Paul Sturrock under acheved this season?

• No, given the circumstances he's overachieved

Votes: 199 81.9%
  • Yes, given the circumstances he's under achieved

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • He has neither over nor under achieved

Votes: 34 14.0%

• Total voters

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Please be as objective and as unbiased as you can, putting personal feelings aside.

Is there anyone who feels that, given the circumstances when he took over, Paul Sturrock has under achieved this season?

Sturrock has worked a minor miracle to have us even thinking of the play offs. The players deserve a great deal of credit aswell for coming to the club in the first place.

Sturrock has worked a minor miracle to have us even thinking of the play offs. The players deserve a great deal of credit aswell for coming to the club in the first place.

Yes you're right.

Thanks Adam Bouzid

After the mass departure of the majority of the playing staff in the summer followed by however you dress it up the dismissal of the long serving and popular manager being in a position to field a team and fulfill a fixture was a minor miracle.

I'm not really a fan of Sturrock, however he's proved he can put together a team that is competitive in thise division. I'd wager he regrets some of the early signings he made, needs must I suppose. But in Hall, Barker, Easton, Clohessy and the much maligned Corr he's got a solid spine for the team. He's a good organiser and tactically I'd say he may be more astute than Tilly.

I said at the start of the season if we finish 22nd then we've at least stayed in the Football League, it looks likely we'll finish half way so he's probably over achieved.

Is this thread designed to deflect attention away from the recent debate about Steve Tilson and the failings of the chairman to act in a decent manner ?

I don't think anybody has an issue with Sturrock producing a mid table team from a bunch of very average players.

Total waste of time thread.

Is this thread designed to deflect attention away from the recent debate about Steve Tilson and the failings of the chairman to act in a decent manner ?

I don't think anybody has an issue with Sturrock producing a mid table team from a bunch of very average players.

It was actually designed to be a serious question. I wondered if anyone actually thought Sturrock hadn't done better than expected and judging from the votes at the time of posting this response about 16% are in that camp.

Sorry if it wasted your time but thanks for your input.

If that's the case why did you waste your time contributing?

Please be as objective and as unbiased as you can, putting personal feelings aside.

Is there anyone who feels that, given the circumstances when he took over, Paul Sturrock has under achieved this season?

You sir are

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers stereoscene - I can't actually see what you think I am as McNasty has deleted it due to whatever it was being "unecessary". Obviously something less than complimentary.

Thanks to the people who voted and answered sensibly. It was quite a simple question really and whilst it may have appeared obvious, there are clearly some people out there - about 14% at the moment out of a decent-ish sample of 51 - who perhaps would not think Sturrock had performed miracles and that was the figure I was interested in.

I'm sure that a similar percentage of people may feel that Tilly was not such the legend that some think, or that Freddy Eastwood wasn't as good as some thought he was, and those threads have been done to death and some in the past without anyone thinking it was a stupid or unnecessary question.

There is just no respect for anyone's opinion on here anymore. I do not like the way this board is going.

the thing is that i am not convinced by his selction policy - particularly upfront - I thought we would make the play offs easily - reckon Grantys given up on him - no loanees of any stature -

looks like hes given it up - looks like Tilson killed the season on Saturday - why didn't Sturrock get Grimes in ???

definately under acheived

the thing is that i am not convinced by his selction policy - particularly upfront - I thought we would make the play offs easily - reckon Grantys given up on him - no loanees of any stature -

looks like hes given it up - looks like Tilson killed the season on Saturday - why didn't Sturrock get Grimes in ???

Thank you. A sensible answer, with reasoning behind it.

Thank you. A sensible answer, with reasoning behind it.

Sensible?? i'm not sturrocks biggest fan, but he could have bought in 12 dave morleys at the beginning of the season, and we could be a few points away from leaving the football league possibly forever, Its interesting how peoples expectations have gotten so high because of recent successess, we've had plenty of ***** managers who have almost taken us into the conference (blue square), Anyone else remember seeling loss after loss? with no hope? i certainly do even tho it was quite a while ago.

Sturrocks done well. if he can build and if he has the funds to, remains to be seen.

Sensible?? i'm not sturrocks biggest fan, but he could have bought in 12 dave morleys at the beginning of the season, and we could be a few points away from leaving the football league possibly forever, Its interesting how peoples expectations have gotten so high because of recent successess, we've had plenty of ***** managers who have almost taken us into the conference (blue square), Anyone else remember seeling loss after loss? with no hope? i certainly do even tho it was quite a while ago.

Sturrocks done well. if he can build and if he has the funds to, remains to be seen.

Sensible as in he took the question seriously and gave his opinion with a reason as opposed to just saying it was a stupid question or giving some abuse.

Seriously????

Who am I to say who's right and wrong, everyone's entitled to their own opinion but I think the poll results so far suggest the vast, vast majority of us are happy with what Sturrock has achieved under very difficult circumstances.

I feel it needs to be pointed out as well that not only has PS been working under the most stringent financial constraints in not being able to bring anybody in for months now but he has also been doing the job on his own since mid-December after Widdrington's departure. Personally I couldn't have asked for any more of Sturrock and you have to ask yourself can (currently) 62 out of 72 supporters really get it so wrong? :unsure:

Sensible as in he took the question seriously and gave his opinion with a reason as opposed to just saying it was a stupid question or giving some abuse.

apols fbm ive quoted the wrong post there! was more directed at RB, i understand why you thought it was sensible. and it was, dont agree with RB but glad it didnt resort to the slagging off that seems to be occuring too much on SZ of late.

Last edited:
I have been one of Paul Sturrock's harshest critics on here. I don't like him, his team selections, team tactics or even his son!

As the truth comes out of what is happening behind the scenes with 'secret transfer embargo's, unpaid players, players treated like ****, staff unpaid, bills unpaid, HMRC unpaid, dumping his assistant etc etc what the man has done is imho almost miraculous.

Hats off to Paul Sturrock to get us safe in this League is without a doubt an incredible acievement.:clap:

More than fair question.

Think he has done a great job. We must have been a total no no for footballers to join this summer and PS somehow has built a squad will I think finish mid table.

Assuming we can keep them I think in Morris, Barker, Moshni, Easton, Ferdinand, Grant, Sawyer,Hall Corr and just about Blair we have a decent side. We need to cut some of the dead wood such as Prosser, Herd, Phillips, Soares, Gilbert etc in my opinion and then maybe we can build a good side to challenge at L2 level.

As usual money worries will no doubt **** us up as always.

Given the state we were in at our first match of the season like everyone else 22nd place was my ambition for the season. All credit to PS for his efforts this season despite a back ground of still being skint and no loan players at a crucial time that might just have propelled us towards play offs. Also full marks to all the players especially Barry Corr for playing so many games when he has clearly not been fit and "young" Mr Coughlan who with Barker, Mohsni, Philips and Prosser all supposed to be decent CBs he can not in his worst nightmares have imagined he would be playing 3 games a week over an extended period of time. Well done that man!

Back