• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sexual abuse allegations.

Mad Cyril

The Fresh Prince of Belfairs⭐⭐
With everyone from Kevin Spacey to local pop band Everything But Thieves being accused of impropriety should we wait until these people are convicted in court before destroying their careers?

One problem is evidence. If there's someone making accusations of being "groped" there's little if any tangible evidence (I'm not saying it did or didn't happen).
If someone accuses me (for example) of stealing their wallet and police find it in my pocket, that's obvious.

Agree, it would be nice if there was hard evidence but as Rob said, there isn't going to be any (unless it was caught on camera). It was apparently a open secret that some Hollywood types were regular abusers.

Louis CK is one of my favourite comedians so I was gutted when I found out he was involved. I doubt anyone will want to be associated with him going forward so I reckon his career is over.

It's completely weird and inappropriate what he's done, however I think he's been chucked under the bus and there's been an over reaction. The problem with the whole sexual abuse allegations is that everyone is tarred with the same brush - the severity of the crime isn't being considered and as soon as something comes out every film company/TV station etc. immediately cuts ties with the person being accused.

One problem is evidence. If there's someone making accusations of being "groped" there's little if any tangible evidence (I'm not saying it did or didn't happen).
If someone accuses me (for example) of stealing their wallet and police find it in my pocket, that's obvious.

Not it's not. You were framed. Someone else put it there.

Gutted for NBT, all seems to have sprung from a girl in a band which wanted to support them in the States but they turned down.

Agree, it would be nice if there was hard evidence but as Rob said, there isn't going to be any (unless it was caught on camera). It was apparently a open secret that some Hollywood types were regular abusers.

It wasn't even a secret in some cases, Roman Polanski for example was convinced of drugging and sexually assaulting a 13 year old girl and won an Oscar a couple of years later despite this.

I think Hollywood is trying to show it isn't that morally corrupt any more and has maybe gone a bit too far in the other direction to compensate, it seems to be a bit 'guilty until proven innocent' at the moment which isn't the way it should work. I expect those with only a couple of accusations will lie low for a while and be back within a year once it dies down (probably Louis CK too since he admitted to what he did). People like Spacey and Weinstein who have a staggering number of people coming forward are finished though, they have far too many accusations leveled at them for people to believe that they're all false/mistaken accusations.

With everyone from Kevin Spacey to local pop band Everything But Thieves being accused of impropriety should we wait until these people are convicted in court before destroying their careers?
*Nothing But Thieves
Very true - innocent until proven guilty. There are a number of people who now they are confronted with it have admitted guilt. Although it may seem suspicious that one person comes forward then others follow - that is explained by the fact that victims don't expect to be believed / had their complaint covered up by a superior. We all know people who have been abused and kept that information to themselves.
Innocent until proven guilty, but some journalists such as Katie Hopkins and Sarah Vine have already tried to create new environments where victims would choose not to come forward. Accused and accuser need to be show respect until the truth comes out.

One of way of looking at this is to put yourself in the shoes of one the accused - say for example you didn't get on with a work colleague and out of nothing they accused you of inappropriate actions of a sexual/physical nature. Regards whether you are innocent or guilty people will begin to look at you differently.
If you are a actor or some type of performer or anyone really in the public eye - chances are you're finished, guilty or not.
It ain't on.

Agree with the notion that anyone making allegations should be treated with respect and believed, but not entirely comfortable with this increasingly common assumption of guilty until proven innocent in these cases. Suppose the issue is that it's very difficult to prove other than one person's word against the other's.

Weird how pretty much every post on here is sympathetic to the accused, not the accuser.

There's a systematic issue of sexual assault and harassment in society where men have power and control over women.

Weird how pretty much every post on here is sympathetic to the accused, not the accuser.

There's a systematic issue of sexual assault and harassment in society where men have power and control over women.

I have every sympathy to the accuser however take it to the police first.

Back