• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shaun Hobson

The 4 at the back was abandoned after the Orient defeat when it didn't work. We then beat Barrow with 3 central defenders.

Who would you have dropped the central defender for?
Olayinka? - he's injured
Macca? - he's injured
Dieng? - he's suspended
Goodship? - he's injured
Klass? - he's injured
Egbri? - he's injured
Gard? - he's injured

So a few ideas maintaining the 4231 or 4141 or perhaps 442
By the way we were poor versus Barrow.

Oxley
Bwomono White Hobson Hart
Taylor Demi
NG Akinola NHF
Acquah

Oxley
NG Taylor Demi NHF
Akinola Acquah

Oxley
Demi
NG Taylor Stewart NHF
Akinola

Oxley
Halford Demi
NG Taylor NHF
Akinola

Oxley
Halford
NG Taylor Demi NHF
Akinola

So a few ideas maintaining the 4231 or 4141 or perhaps 442
By the way we were poor versus Barrow.

Oxley
Taylor Demi
NG Akinola NHF
Acquah

Oxley
NG Taylor Demi NHF
Akinola Acquah

Oxley
Demi
NG Taylor Stewart NHF
Akinola

Oxley
Halford Demi
NG Taylor NHF
Akinola

Oxley
Halford
NG Taylor Demi NHF
Akinola

I've already pointed out Halford can't start 3 games in 8 days at this stage in his career. Your other options are to give a debut to O'Shane Stewart (an occasional starter at Isthmian League level last season is his only first team experience) or Emile Acquah, which would not have been a popular decision on here. Maybe with a fuller squad MM would have gone in a different direction. We know that he tried to sign a midfielder but that move was blocked because of covid.

I've already pointed out Halford can't start 3 games in 8 days at this stage in his career. Your other options are to give a debut to O'Shane Stewart (an occasional starter at Isthmian League level last season is his only first team experience) or Emile Acquah, which would not have been a popular decision on here. Maybe with a fuller squad MM would have gone in a different direction. We know that he tried to sign a midfielder but that move was blocked because of covid.
All opinions but mine is he could easily enough come up with a formation with a back 4 that would have been more effective than the appalling mess last night. And I could have come up with a good few more- all be it not changing your own valid opinion that last nights formation was better.

All opinions but mine is he could easily enough come up with a formation with a back 4 that would have been more effective than the appalling mess last night. And I could have come up with a good few more- all be it not changing your own valid opinion that last nights formation was better.

My opinion was that we had no good options.

I can also point to several bigger messes than last night from earlier in the season with 4 at the back.

My opinion was that we had no good options.

I can also point to several bigger messes than last night from earlier in the season with 4 at the back.
Well we had options- just not any you consider good so we disagree- which of course is entirely allowed.

It's already clear Cordner has more control of a football than Shaunie.
When that ball gets rolled back to the latter and he's looking up, I'm always expecting it to roll under his foot and put us under - every time!
When he charges forward he looks a much better prospect until he hits the wrong pass or is tackled.
Better than me will point to headers won at corners or other dead-balls delivered into their box, but I can't think of any.
He's strong, but his body shape and hunched shoulders along with a passing style that looks laboured is a concern.
Yes, in another world, I would give him time to develop, but we haven't got that.
Elvis, White, Cordner and Clifford at the back; Dieng added to midfield, for me.
Even that is far from ideal. Re-signing Macca is looking like a Pyrrhic victory.
His creaking legs means we can't depend on him either.

I'm thinking we should go back to the 2 centre halfs for vale game. I might sound little harsh here but would drop Hobson for cordner. Was impressed by cordner debut, he looks all round better defender than Hobson.

Just putting this out there as a thought for discussion. Until the last game in which he scored a well deserved goal I haven't been overly sure of Elvis this season.
Harsh, but what if white went back to right back as part of a back 4 with Hobson cordner and Clifford. Strong back 4 experience and height
Dieng in his floating role with JD Taylor ANG Hart in the middle 4
Akinola up front (obviously supported by dieng and ANG getting forward
RHF and Elvis strengthens the bench

Just putting this out there as a thought for discussion. Until the last game in which he scored a well deserved goal I haven't been overly sure of Elvis this season.
Harsh, but what if white went back to right back as part of a back 4 with Hobson cordner and Clifford. Strong back 4 experience and height
I kinda agree on elvis but I dont like the thought of cordner and Hobson as 2. I like white their due to his experience. Inexperienced partnerships in Hobson and cordner could cost us against vale but i could be wrong. I personally would go with elvis cordner white hart.

I kinda agree on elvis but I dont like the thought of cordner and Hobson as 2. I like white their due to his experience. Inexperienced partnerships in Hobson and cordner could cost us against vale but i could be wrong. I personally would go with elvis cordner white hart.
I agree about white there for his experience. I'm turning myself into tinkerman!! I'll get me coat ?
I'm warming to the thought of white and cordner I must admit . And Hobson on the bench is a useful asset

I agree about white there for his experience. I'm turning myself into tinkerman!! I'll get me coat ?
I'm warming to the thought of white and cordner I must admit . And Hobson on the bench is a useful asset
Cordner seems more confident on the ball and not shy to make a tackle. Cordner and white should make decent partnership! Iv just notice of late with Hobson he got bit sloppy and could do with rest. Knowing MM he will go with back 3 ?

Elvis had a dip early in the season from his player of the season form of last season but he's been excellent again for the last few months. The only goals we've conceded down the right in months was the Cambridge(?) game when he went off injured and Halford went to RB and that FL Trophy game he missed when Rob Howard was at RB and we shipped 6.

Also, any back 4 with Hobson, Cordner and Clifford is not experienced. They have 51 league starts between them.

Our biggest problem in the last week is JW has played like a man who hasn't got the contract he thinks he should have.

Back