• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shetland Isles

MK Shrimper

Striker
Anyone been? Saw a kids programme the other day and it looks luvverly (though I'd imagine only in the sunshine!). Really quite fancy it at some point.

Balamory? Isn't that set up that way somewhere offshore?

Tobermory, Isle of Mull.

As for Shetland, I've never been, but it's on my list. Orkney's an interesting trip too, with an annual "sport" that would probably have been banned on the mainland due to its excessive violence.

I was lucky enough to see Orkney on a perfectly still sunny day (Scapa Flow was like a mill pond) but I'd imagine it's pretty grim when the weather sets in!

Anyone been? Saw a kids programme the other day and it looks luvverly (though I'd imagine only in the sunshine!). Really quite fancy it at some point.

Both the Orkneys and Shetland Isles are worth the visit, especially if you take the time to drive up through the Highlands first, but as Crabby says you have to catch them in good weather. I love it up here regardless of what the climate is throwing at me, but if you are only coming the once then it's better to catch a nice spell. And you could always drop in on the way past.

Both the Orkneys and Shetland Isles are worth the visit, especially if you take the time to drive up through the Highlands first, but as Crabby says you have to catch them in good weather. I love it up here regardless of what the climate is throwing at me, but if you are only coming the once then it's better to catch a nice spell. And you could always drop in on the way past.

Won't be for the foreseeable future, but we might keep you to that :thumbsup:

if you go to Orkney be sure to vist the Italian Chapel built by POWs. Amazing place. Basically a couple of Nissen huts and a lot of effort and skill.
Balamory is Tobermory on Mull. The whole inner Hebrides are well worth a vist. Weather can be a bit of a problem. Go to Fingal's cave on Staffa. Its the same basalt lava flow that makes the Giants Causeway. Puffins are also good if you like that sort of thing.
However I've never been to Shetland. Wife wants to and no doubt will get there eventually.

There's a few Red Points, but Red Point, Gairloch is close by if that's the one you mean?
Yeah that's the one. I really want to go to the beaches there. We used to go to the highlands on holiday when we were younger. I'd love to head back!

if you go to Orkney be sure to vist the Italian Chapel built by POWs. Amazing place. Basically a couple of Nissen huts and a lot of effort and skill.
Balamory is Tobermory on Mull. The whole inner Hebrides are well worth a vist. Weather can be a bit of a problem. Go to Fingal's cave on Staffa. Its the same basalt lava flow that makes the Giants Causeway. Puffins are also good if you like that sort of thing.
However I've never been to Shetland. Wife wants to and no doubt will get there eventually.

I saw a programme about that Italian Chapel. Absolutely fascinating.

Mull is really nice.

Yeah that's the one. I really want to go to the beaches there. We used to go to the highlands on holiday when we were younger. I'd love to head back!

Undiscovered Scotland - Red Point

We are in Aultbea, so about 13 miles from Gairloch and then maybe another six to Badachro, and six or so more to Red Point. It is a lovely beach but it's a long time since I've been all the way down. There is a great walk I want to do from Red Point around the headland to Sheildaig and Torridon someday. Same offer as to MK.

redpointx-450.jpg

I saw a programme about that Italian Chapel. Absolutely fascinating.

Mull is really nice.

When I went we got a day trip package from John-O-Groats (think it also goes from Inverness in peak season) It took in Kirkwall, Stromness, Skara brae, Ring of Brodgar, and the Italian chapel, all via ferry and minibus. I'd definitely recommend it!

Back